Recommend Adopted Grandma Program

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Glenda, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Glenda

Glenda Rookie

Feb 7, 2010

I have been putting off a program available to me for a few years and finally took advantage of it! It's a program that was offered to us through our local senior center (not nursing home) to have a senior citizen come for as many hours as we needed her. They pay her 2.50 an hour which doesn't seem like much, but she likes the work and likes the extra money.

She does alot for 2.50/hour! The kids love her. She fixes snack and puts it out while we are in gym. She works one on one with my esl kids. She supervises the kids "sign-in" table upon arrival and the coat closet upon dismissal. She sings with us. She helps with our baggie book check out on Fridays.

I have to keep in mind she can't go up and down the steps much. She's never been trained in behavior management (so we work on that) or curriculum or teaching methods. You have to be specific in your instructions.

My gal is awesome and fits right in to our classroom. I'd highly recommend giving it a try if it's available to you!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 7, 2010

What a wonderful program!!!

I bet those Seniors look forward all week to the time they spend with the kids!!

4. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Feb 7, 2010

I had a foster grandma in my classroom for 8 years. The kids loved her. Her health prevented her from doing much in the classroom but she loved to do art with the children. She is no longer working with us because of her health (she is in her 80's). I now have a new grandma and she is just as wonderful and more able to help out in the classroom. I highly recommend it if the program is available in your area.

5. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Feb 7, 2010

The elementary school I went to has a big program. It started with "grandmas" coming in to read with 3rd grade groups. Now, they come in one morning a week and work with each grade level. It's such a neat idea--I'm hoping to get something like that started by us...

6. Kase

Kase Companion

Feb 7, 2010

When I worked in Kansas, we had that program. I was cursed with 2 horrible grandmas and one that got so frustrated with a change in the routine that she shouted, "shut up!" to me and my assistant when we were trying to explain things to her. I told my director never again. I'm glad you were blessed with a great one.