Recommend a Sander?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherShelly, Feb 21, 2010.

1. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Feb 21, 2010

Can anyone recommend a good tool to use to sand cabinets? Mine have big areas that are flat, framed by some pretty deep insets.

3. Securis

Securis Cohort

Feb 21, 2010

What is the purpose you intend by sanding?

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Feb 21, 2010

We bought an electric hand sander from either Home Depot or Lowes (I can't even remember!) and I think the brand is Skil(?). We used 220 grit sand paper on the sander, but that wasn't enough for the cabinets. I did most of the sanding by hand with 150 grit sand paper.

5. Securis

Securis Cohort

Feb 21, 2010

I'll say that almost any orbital sander will do a good job on the flat surfaces. Black and Decker makes some smaller shaped orbital sanders for corners and tight places. Your insets will be onerous but you can make your own hand tools by shaping small pieces of wood and gluing on sand paper. Essentially, the small stuff will have to be done by hand.

Unless you are stripping and then there are a plethora of chemical agents that will help with that.

Another solution is a sand blaster with micro sand.

6. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Feb 21, 2010

We used a deglosser to try to limit the amount of sanding we had to do, but it didn't really help at all.

7. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Feb 21, 2010

Beth, you are the inspiration behind my need for a sander. I have a LOT of cabinets and I want to do them BLACK like those in your link on your cabinet refinishing pics post. By hand? Oh my. Why can't I just have unlimited funds? Then I could pay someone else to do it. Wah.

8. Securis

Securis Cohort

Feb 21, 2010

What type of finish do they have now?

If it's a varnish, then an oil paint will cover. No sanding necessary. Light sanding will help but you won't have to go to bare wood or laminate or whatever they're made of. Just enough to scuff the surface.

With a de-glosser, you have to do a few repeated exposures to get the best results. You may have done that.

9. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Feb 21, 2010

They are varnished... or rather, the were varnished a long time ago. They are not too shiny. The paint recommended on the other thread is water based, hence the sanding. Oil based, huh?

10. Securis

Securis Cohort

Feb 21, 2010

Oil-based products on top of oil-based products. If you sand and paint water-based on top, you still stand the chance of the latex cracking and shattering off in some future time.

There are primers that can cover oil-based products and then allow water-based paint to be applied. KilZ, Aqualoc; these come to mind.

The biggest hang up that most people have with oil is the clean up.