Reciprocity doesn't work apparently

Discussion in 'General Education' started by CatfaceMeowmers, Feb 9, 2015.

1. CatfaceMeowmers

CatfaceMeowmers Companion

Feb 9, 2015

I'm mostly here to rant. I just received an email from NV (I'm from AR) that my license cannot transfer and I only have 1 month to "complete" my license requirements:

- Praxis II Elementary Education: Instructional Practice and Applications #5019,
    - Nine (9) semester hours of credit in methods of teaching elementary subjects which must include methods of teaching elementary mathematics, methods of teaching elementary science and methods of teaching elementary social studies,
    - Nine (9) semester hours of credit in methods of teaching literacy or methods of teaching language arts.

So I asked about doing a middle school license, but NV is 7-9. I am currently licensed in AR 4-8 math and English.

I was very surprised to receive this information, since I already emailed them asking about my current situation and she said I wouldn't have a problem with reciprocity. Apparently they were wrong...

I'm so just frustrated. I knew there were so many jobs in the CCSD in Las Vegas, NV - which is why we moved here. But it seems that they keep putting road blocks in my way!

I am currently waiting on my application to be a substitute teacher, which hopefully that will all work out. I just hate waiting. Me and my husband are in a very bad financial situation and need the money asap.

I wonder if it's possible to get a temporary license or a provisional license until I can get all of the testing/classes taken care of. I mean...I already HAVE a license in AR and have a Masters degree. How hard is it to get a teaching license in NV? :(

Very sad and depressed.....:unsure:

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 9, 2015

Can you call up the person who told you that it wouldn't be a problem to get a license here and explain the situation to them?

Can you look into ARL?

Is it possible that your methods coursework isn't appearing on your transcript the right way? Have you reviewed your transcript yourself?

4. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Feb 9, 2015

I'm confused, if you are licensed to teach 4-8 math and English you should have the coursework for literacy, math and English. The only thing you may not have is social studies....right?

5. CatfaceMeowmers

Feb 10, 2015

I'm doing this first thing tomorrow morning. I also emailed her and told her I would call her tomorrow.

I don't think I can do ARL because the MAT program was pretty much the same thing, except I obtained a masters degree.

I'm fairly certain my methods are on there - but it's not necessarily "how to teach elementary math, English, etc"

I suppose if all I have to do is take another test or perhaps a few more classes, it'll be okay but....I mean, I don't understand. I am licensed to teach 4-8 math and English. I know NV doesn't have 4-8, but there are always exceptions right?

6. CatfaceMeowmers

Feb 10, 2015

Yes, for NV, a K-8 needs math, English, social studies, and science. Since I only did math and English, that's all I am licensed to teach.

So many hurdles...

7. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Feb 10, 2015

I would apply for the middle school license, 7-9 is closer to 4-8 than the K-8 license. I'm assuming that essentially you didn't take any elementary related courses when you got your degree/cert.

Then look into the other required coursework they want you to complete.

On a side note, I'm sure other states do a middle school cert, but not many. It's a weird middle. Certs here in NY are generally Birth-2, 1-6 and 7-12. Specials certs like Art, PE and Technology are K-12 Some are 5-9 but it's not common to see that.

I hope things work out for you though! I know it sounds super frustrating.

8. CatfaceMeowmers

Feb 10, 2015

So I have an update. I thought I was completely out of luck for being a teacher in NV, since I couldn't get a K-8 license. Well, I received an email saying that I could get a reciprocal license for middle level (7-9) math. If I wanted to add English, I would have to submit an endoresent dorm with a $50 fee. I will have a year to do this. But as of now, I received my NV license for middle math! It's not exactly what I wanted, but its definitely a good thing! I can complete all requirements for my K-8 license, but at least I don't have a time limit on that. Plus I called the CCSD and asked about what grades I could teach with my current NV license, and I can teach 6-8 math, which is what I wanted!

I also received confirmation concerning substitute traching, so that's another step forward :)

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 10, 2015

:2up:

10. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Feb 10, 2015

Yay congrats!

I wonder why they gave you the math no problem, but are making you pay $50 for the English endorsement.

Hope to hear news soon that you landed a job!

11. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Feb 10, 2015

that's great!

12. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Feb 10, 2015

Yay! Congratulations! :D

13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 10, 2015

Catching all of this just now. Whew! I would be a puddle on the floor.

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 11, 2015

Great update news!

15. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 11, 2015

Things are looking up!

16. CatfaceMeowmers

Feb 11, 2015

I received my NV teaching license in an email :D

It holds true for 3 years! So within those 3 years, I can do all of the other requirements and obtain a K-8 license! But in the mean time - I'm on the hunt for a 6-8 math job!!!

17. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2015

Congrats, Catface!! Good luck with the job search!