Recipes

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by cb4pebbles, Aug 5, 2007.

1. cb4pebbles

cb4pebbles Companion

Aug 5, 2007

:help: Soooo...I know how to cook (meaning I can follow directions) I just can't find any recipes that turn out very good. Sometimes a recipe just stinks no matter whether you can cook or not. I'm a meat and potatoes girl and my boyfriend is a health nut who loves veggies, chicken, and seafood. I usually end up cooking the same old thing every single week because I just can't figure out what to make. I'm on a mission to collect different recipes for tasty dinner dishes (or dessert:wub: ). Please save me from this horrible cooking rut and post some recipes. I'm interested in anything and everything.:thanks: I'll start by sharing one tried and true party dish.

Asian Slaw

Ingredients: 1 bag of angel hair slaw, 2 pks of Beef flavored Ramen Noodles (crunched), 1/2 cup sunflower seeds (salted or unsalted), 2 small pks of sliced almonds, 4 green onions chopped, 2/3 cup oil, 1/2cup vinegar, 1/2 cup sugar

*Mix Ramen flavor packs (not the noodles) with oil, vinegar, and sugar and set aside.
    *In a large bowl layer Ramen noodles, slaw, sunflower seeds, almonds, onions.
    *Pour liquid mixture on top and let set for several hours (or overnight) before stirring. ENJOY!

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2007

I'm really all about minimum prep time.

One of my favorite side dishes is the easiest thing in the world to make. It's just baby red potatoes, carrots, and zucchini with some olive oil and salt and pepper. I leave the baby red potatoes whole if they are small enough, otherwise I cut them in half. I use baby carrots and leave them whole. I cut the zucchini into really big chunks. Sometimes I add in a cut-up onion if I have one just lying around. I spray the whole mess with olive oil spray (in the section with the Pam), sprinkle it with salt and pepper, add a tablespoon or so of water, cover the whole thing tightly with foil, and pop it into the oven for about an hour. It's delicious, healthy, quick, and goes with everything!

I also like to bake a whole chicken. I rinse it off and clean it up, rub olive oil, salt, pepper, and paprika all over it, and bake at around 350 until the juices run clear. I cover it with foil for the first half so that it doesn't dry out, and then I uncover it at the end so that it browns up. You can use the leftover meat for sandwiches the next day, and you can use the carcass for soup stock.

Let's see... hmm... I LOVE tater tot hotdish. It looks pretty gross, but it's fantastic. I pour a bag of frozen tots into the bottom of a 9x12 dish, cover it with a pound browned ground turkey, cover that with a cup or cup and a half of frozen corn kernals, cover that with a mixture of one can cream soup (any kind you like--I like cream of broccoli and cream of celery), a can of creamed corn, and some milk. Then I sprinkle the whole top with pepper and parsley, cover it with foil, and pop it into the oven for an hour. It's even better reheated the next day!

I like to make grilled salmon on the George Forman, just spiced up with some Mrs. Dash. I serve it with steamed broccoli and wild or brown rice.

I love big salads using the spring mix lettuce, cherry tomatoes, carrot shreds, toasted almonds, and a good sesame ginger dressing.

4. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Aug 11, 2007

These little sandwiches are AWESOME!

Hot Colby Ham Sandwiches

½ cup butter, melted
    2T prepared mustard
    1T dried minced onion
    1T poppy seeds
    2-3 t sugar
    15 dinner rolls, sliced
    15 slices Colby cheese
    15 thin slices of thin deli-style ham or turkey
    2C shredded mozzarella cheese

In a small bowl, combine the butter, mustard onion, poppy seeds and sugar. Place roll bottoms, cut side up, in an ungreased baking pan. Top each with Colby cheese, ham and mozzarella. Drizzle with half of the butter mixture.
    Replace roll tops. Drizzle with the remaining butter mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350^ for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted.

5. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Aug 12, 2007

6. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 12, 2007

My absolute favorite meal, and probably one of the first ones I learned how to make. I'll give you the original "basic: recipe, then i'll tell you what I like to add. This came from some magazine's "recipes with 5 ingredients or less" article that my mom has had since before I can remember.

Basic Recipe for Curly Noodle Casserole:

Brown 1 lb. ground beef/turkey
    Add it to 1 pkg of Ramen noodles, a can of corn, and a can of diced tomatoes. (add water as necessary to cover te ramen... the more you add the soupier it is). Cook it all together until the noodles are soft.

Eat and enjoy.

My additions:
    1 can black beans, drained (rinsing is optional... I don't, mom does)
    Salsa to taste
    Olives (black and/or green, if we have them)
    Shredded cheese on top.

Also, I usually use frozen corn, about a cup or so.

Some people use the seasoning packet, some don't... you may have to experiment to see whether you want it or not. I don't usually taste a difference one way or the other, so I typically leave it out.

I've also done this with pinto beans instead of black beans, and pork chops instead of ground turkey.

Serves 4 or so.

7. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Aug 12, 2007

I am a very seasoned cook, have cooked professionally, and I still use these online sources. They're all good, esp. foodnetwork.com