recipes?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by cameroncrazie, Jul 13, 2007.

1. cameroncrazie

cameroncrazie Rookie

Jul 13, 2007

I got married almost a year ago and have since taken up cooking. I love trying to make new things. But here lately it seems as though I'm making the same old stuff. Does anyone out there have a favorite recipe they would like to share?
    Thanks!

3. Mommy2wad

Mommy2wad Rookie

Jul 13, 2007

I have a great one, if you like soup. In fact, we just had it tonight. It is one of the few meals that I fix that everyone (all 5 of us) love. There is rarely any leftover. Here it is:

Chicken Tortilla Soup:

4-6 chicken breasts, cooked and cut in bite-sized pieces
    1 can (15oz) diced tomatoes
    2 cans (10oz) enchilada sauce
    1 medium onion, chopped (I use dried, minced onion as well)
    1 can (4oz) chopped green chilies
    1 clove garlic, minced
    2-3 cups water (less if you want sauce strong, more if you want it more diluted)
    2 cans (14 1/2 oz) chicken broth or 1 (32 oz) box
    1 tsp cumin
    1 tsp chili powder
    1 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp pepper
    1 bay leaf
    1 tablespoon dried chopped cilantro
    fried corn tortilla strips or corn chips
    cheese
    diced avocados, if desired

In crock pot, combine all the ingredients except the tortillas, cheese, and avocados. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. The longer you cook it, the better the flavor. To make the tortillas, either cook bite-sized pieces in a deep fryer or cut tortillas in strips, brush with oil and bake in a 400 degree oven until crisp (turn occasionally for 5-10 minutes). Serve the soup in bowls covered with cheese, avocados, and tortilla chips.

**I also love this recipe because it is easy to put together in the crock pot before school. Then it cooks all day and supper is ready when you get home.

4. cameroncrazie

cameroncrazie Rookie

Jul 13, 2007

excellent, thanks! i love crock pot recipes.

5. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 13, 2007

Spaghetti Soup
    1 pkg Italian Sausage (Mild or Hot)
    1 quart beef broth plus 2 cups of water
    Half of a 13 oz box of whole wheat spiral/rotini noodles
    Italian Seasoning

Turn oven on to 325. Combine beef broth and water in pot and cook over med-high heat. Cut open casings of Italian sausage and roll into golf ball sized meat balls, place on baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. While meat balls cook, when liquid boils, add in half a box of pasta and italian seasonings. Once meatballs are cooked, add to liquid and cook five minutes more. Serve as soup with salad and bread as desired.

Pork BBQ
    Place boneless shoulder roast in crockpot with 1 chopped onion, 2tsp. season salt, and 1 can chicken stock. Cook on low 8-12 hours. Remove from pot, reserve 1/2 cup of liquid and strain for onions. Shred pork(I usually use a set of tongs), placing it back in crock pot, add the onions, reserved cooking liquid, and 1-2 cups bbq sauce. Mix well and serve on hamburger buns with pickles and onions. I usually serve it with baked beans and microwave corn on the cob (steamfresh vegetables are great).

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2007

I'm not a cook and my husband and I are very picky about ingredients - as in no onions, peppers, etc. So you may laught at this recipe because it is quite basic, but it is my favorite thing I make, and my husband's, second to my lasagna.

So let's see here...

3 or 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    2 cups white minute rice
    4 cups mexican blend cheese
    8 soft flour tortillas (large)
    3 packets of Taco Bell taco seasoning powder
    - water
    - taco sauce (to taste)

1. Start the chicken on a boil; allow chicken to cool for a few minutes
    2. While chicken is cooling, cook rice according to package, except add 1 cup extra water and the packets of taco seasoning
    3. Once chicken is cool, shred into small pieces and add to the rice mixture once completely cooked
    4. With your hands, pull tortillas into bite size pieces and layer the bottom of a 9x13 casserole dish; these pieces should overlap and completely cover the bottom
    5. Pour about 1/3 of the chicken rice mixture onto the tortillas, being sure to get some of the seasoned standing water in the dish - this makes the tortillas very soft (yummy!)
    6. Layer about 1/3 of cheese on top of chicken rice mixture
    7. Repeat process two more times
    8. Place in 325 degree oven for ten minutes or so until cheese is completely melted
    9. I like to smother mine in taco sauce
    10. Enjoy!

7. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Jul 14, 2007

I love salmon and here is my favorite marinade for this wonderful fish. (Sounds kind of funny, but trust me, it is good!)

1/2 c olive oil
    1/4 c soy sacue
    3 tbsp catusp
    2 tbsp vinegar
    5 cloves garlic, crushed.

This is enough for about 3lbs of salmon. Marinade for at least an hour (better if you marinade over night)

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 14, 2007

Spaghetti Bake
    Season and brown hamburger meat with diced onions, sliced mushrooms, chopped bell peppers and any other "pizza-like" veggie you like. Sometimes I shredd carrots and dice eggplant in it. Drain and rinse. Pour your favorite spaghetti sauce (or make your own) over the meat and stir. Stir in some diced Italian seasoned tomatoes and simmer. Cook noodles and drain.

Layer noodles, meat/spaghetti mixture, and a layer of mozzerella cheese in a casserole dish. Repeat and end with cheese on top.

Preheat the oven to 425 and heat until the cheese is melted. Yum!

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 14, 2007

Hobo Dinners

Season and form a hamburger patty. Place it in the middle of a peice of foil (about the size of construction paper). Place veggies around it (Examples: cut up cabbage, green beans, corn, broccoli, etc). Then dice some potatoes (I don't even peel). Spread all of it around the meat. Sprinkle seasoning on top. Fold the foil in half and roll it up. Then roll up the sides. You want to make sure all of it is sealed inside. Preheat the oven to 425. Cool for at least 45 min. (sometimes an hour). Check your meat and potatoes for doneness. Open and dump on a plate. Eat. No mess.

10. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 14, 2007

Rather than give you a favorite of mine may I suggest you visit the site
    allrecipes.com It is a fabulous site. If you can't find what you are lookig for on this recipe site I don't think it is out there, unless you make it up yourself. Whenever I need something new this is the first place I visit. Best of all viewers give their opinions and also give hints as to how to make a recipe even better.

11. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2007

I loved this thread when we did it last year.

My favorite recipe site is www.recipezaar.com

A favorite tip of mine is to make double of something (ex: meat loaf) and freeze the second before cooking. Defrost, then cook. I make mini loaves, which cook quicker. You can also make a ton at one time for several meals. It is just as much work, and you have something tasty later in the school year when you really do not feel like cooking.

12. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Jul 14, 2007

I love allrecipes! Totally my favorite cooking site!

13. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Jul 14, 2007

I was thinking about what to fix for dinner tomorrow and this is what I thought of:

Mexican Chicken:

chicken breasts
    Mexican shredded cheese
    corn and black bean salsa (Wal-Mart)

Cook chicken breasts almost all the way and then add salsa and shredded cheese. Bake until cheese is melted. You could even add some crushed tortilla chips, corn chips, or Doritos on top for an added crunch. How about a dollop of sour cream to add some coolness?

14. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Jul 15, 2007

The easiest thing I make is Roast beef:

drizzle a little olive oil over roast, sprinkle with pepper, kosher salt, and garlic powder. Add an onion if you like. (this will change the flavor of your gravy)

after roast cooks about 2 hrs at 325, set it on cutting board and cover loosly with foil to "rest'. In the mean time add some beef boulion and watter to the pan (I cook mine in an Iron skillet) let that come to a boil and stir together some cornstarch and cold water together, add that to your beef bulion in the pan and add dill and more salt if needed, whisk. You should have some nice gravy now to go over the roast. I serve with Italian green beans and mashed potatoes and rolls, Our roasts is at least 3 lbs, and any left overs I usually make vegetable soup cutting up the meat, add water, beef boulion onion and potato (diced) after they are tender then add frozen vegies and a can of tomato sauce, any herbs you like.

15. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 15, 2007

Aball I am coming over to your house for dinner. You always have good recipes!

16. Teacher2Be2007

Teacher2Be2007 Companion

Jul 15, 2007

This is one of my favorites and it's easy to make!

Bruschetta Chicken Bake
    Yields: 6 Servings
    1 serving: 6 Points

Ingredients

14 1/2 ounces diced tomatoes -- (14-1/2 oz.) undrained (I used ones flavored with garlic, oregano and basil)
    2 cloves garlic -- minced
    1 pkg. Stove Top Stuffing -- (6 oz.)
    1/2 cup water
    2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts -- cut into pieces
    1 tsp. dried basil
    1 cup mozzarella cheese, part skim milk

Instructions

1. PREHEAT oven to 400°F. Place tomatoes with liquid in medium bowl. Add garlic, stuffing mix and water; stir just until stuffing mix is moistened. Set aside.

2. PLACE chicken in 13x9-inch baking dish; sprinkle with basil and cheese. Top with stuffing mixture.

3. BAKE 30 min. or until chicken is cooked through.

17. Amers

Amers Cohort

Jul 15, 2007

Best recipe ever.....My BF actually proposed the last time I made this. Yep, it's that good. ;)

Cajun Chicken Pasta (I actually found this on allrecipes.com...go figure)

serves 2

4 oz linguine pasta
    2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, sliced into thin strips
    2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning (I use more than this)
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 green bell pepper, chopped
    1/2 red bell pepper, chopped (I use a whole one)
    4 fresh mushrooms, sliced (canned work fine)
    1 fresh green onion, minced
    1 1/2 c heavy cream
    1/4 teaspoon dried basil
    1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons Parmesean cheese

1. Bring a large por of lightly salted water to a boil. Add linguini pasta, and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until al dente. Drain.

2. Meanwhile, place chicken and cajun seasoning in a bowl, and toss to coat.

3. In a large skillet over medium heat, saute chicken in butter until no longer pink and juices run clear, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add green and red bell peppers, sliced mushrooms, and green onions; cook for 2-3 minutes. Reduce heat, and stir in heavy cream. Season the sauce with basil, lemon pepper, salt, garlic powder, and ground black pepper, and heat through.

4. In a large bowl, toss linguini with sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesean cheese.

18. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

I also use Allrecipes.com . I find the reviews very helpful.

I'm interested in getting more tried and true crock pot recipes because I pretty much only have two. I'll share mine if you share yours! NB: I don't really measure, so you'll just have to eyeball it.

Slow Cooker Pot Roast

Beef or pork roast, any cut you prefer
    Baby carrots
    Baby red potatoes
    Sweet or yellow onion, cut into large pieces
    Chicken stock (low sodium, organic)
    Garlic or garlic powder
    Mrs. Dash
    Salt and pepper to taste

Place onion in bottom of slow cooker. Brown roast on all sides and place on top of onions. Cover with baby carrots and potatoes. Add a generous amount of garlic (or garlic powder) and Mrs. Dash. Add salt and pepper, if desired. Add 1/2 C chicken broth. Cook on low for 8-10 hours.

Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken

Several large boneless, skinless chicken breasts (frozen is okay)
    Chicken stock (low-sodium, organic)
    Store bought BBQ sauce
    Italian dressing
    Garlic or garlic powder
    Onion or onion powder
    Salt and pepper to taste

Place chicken breasts, garlic (or garlic powder), onion (or onion powder), and lots of chicken stock in slow cooker. Cook on high for 4-6 hours. Drain chicken, reserving the chicken stock. Pull apart the chicken and return it to the slow cooker. Add a generous amount of BBQ sauce. Add about 1/2 C Italian dressing. Add salt and pepper, if desired. Add enough reserved chicken stock to prevent mixture from drying out. Mix together. Cook on low for 2-3 hours. Serve immediately on good rolls.

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

Here's what I just made for dinner:
    BBQ chicken braid

2 rolls refrigerated crescant rolls
    1 1/2 - 2 cups precooked chicken,cut into bite sized pieces
    1 cup or so of shredded cheddar cheese
    BBQ sauce.

Spray a cookie sheet with Pam. Place the individual rolls on the sheet so that the short sides of the triangle overlap in the middle, with "arms" extending out (and over if necessary) the sheet. Squash the middle so the seams disappear.

Spread BBQ sauce over the middle. Cover with the cooked chicken, then the cheddar.

Alternating sides, cross the "arms" of the rolls over the middle. It won't look exactly like a braid, but will be close enough.

Bake at 425 until brown, about 15 minutes or so.

It was delicious. Feel free to play with the ingredients; I made this one up as I went along.

20. shanepunim

shanepunim Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

My secret to cooking and dealing with a job & family is definitely the Kraft Foods site. www.kraftfoods.com.

I also subscribe to their FREE magazine. It's not just for families at all. It uses very simple ingredients and everything is easy to make.

Kim

21. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

The BBQ chicken braid sounds delicious!

My hoosband used to make a similar thing with pepperoni, mozzarella, and pizza sauce.

Wait. I guess it doesn't sound similar at all. Trust me on this, though!

22. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

I've made it before with cooked chicken, mayo, brocolli and cheese. It's great too!!

23. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 16, 2007

Easy:

Mini Pizza

English Muffins 1/2 (each mini pizza)
    Spread Pizza Sauce (or Spaghetti Sauce plus spices)
    Put Pepperoni on top (or whatever you desire)
    Sprinkle Mozzerella Cheese on it (generously)
    Bake until cheese melts.

24. azteacher3

azteacher3 Companion

Jul 16, 2007

I love Allrecipes.com too! I love to read all the reviews before I try something. They have so many recipes!

25. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 17, 2007

I also get the Kraft food magazine. It really has great recipes and tips. Signed up sisters, mom, and son for it. I wish more companies would publish a magazine like this one.

26. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jul 17, 2007

Chicken Salad:

Chicken
    grapes
    pecans
    mayo or salad dressing
    s/p to taste

Everything about this depends on how much you like--for instance: I've made this with a whole boiled chicken, or chicken from can or even a rotisserrie chicken one night when I was running late. But basically--whatever kind of chicken you use, just shred it. You can do a lot, or a little depending on number of people.
    Grapes--red seedless--if you like a lot of grapes chop up a lot, if a little, chop a little. I prefr a lot.
    Pecans--already chopped up and in a bag. Seriously--as many or few as you'd like.
    Salad dressing or mayo--basically binds it all together and AGAIN--as much or little as you like.

blend together--better if it sits over night.
    Great on croissant rolls, or regular white bread. Great with crackers.
    I do this a lot for parties and take as an appetizer with crackers or as mini sandwiches and everyone loves it and thinks I am crazy about the recipe, but honestly this is easy and good!!!

27. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jul 17, 2007

Chicken Tortilla Bake:

Chicken shredded--i usually boil a whole chicken and then shred it cause this is better with white and dark meat (have used a rotisserie chicken for speed)--if using breasts--do 4 at least!
    1 can cream of muchroom soup
    1 can cream of chicken soup
    green onions--chopped up
    1 small can green chilies--chopped up
    1 8 oz sour cream
    Mexican cheese (2 cups)
    tortillas (at least 10 can be more or less, depending on taste) just rip into bite size peices.

Mix all together with one cup of the cheese. Put in baking dish--bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Top with remaining cheese and bake another 10-15 minutes.

This is another--as much as you like thing--I use whatever chicken I have available and however much, and also the same with the tortillas. I have used a lot and i have used a few I had left over, but 10 seems to be perfect for hubby's taste. I usually leave out the green onions cause I'm not a fan, but you definately don't want to leave out chilies.

Enjoy!
    :)

28. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jul 23, 2007

I made a modified version of the Baked Scallops recipe from allrecipes.com... DELICIOUS! I also am completely addicted to a flickr group called Recipes to Share... people take photos of their creations and include recipes, I've gotta see it to know if I want to eat it!

Baked Scallops & Shrimp: http://flickr.com/photos/quemarropa/879216901/

Recipes to Share Flickr Group:
    http://flickr.com/groups/recipes/

29. shantroy

shantroy Rookie

Jul 25, 2007

Shredded BBQ Chicken Sammies
    I got this from the food network.

1 cup chicken stock
    1 bottle Mexican beer
    4 pieces, 6 ounces each boneless, skinless chicken breast
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan
    2 cloves garlic, chopped
    1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
    2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, eyeball it
    1 tablespoon hot sauce (recommended: Tabasco)
    2 tablespoons grill seasoning blend (recommended: Montreal Steak Seasoning, by McCormick)
    3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
    4 tablespoons tomato paste
    1 large sour deli pickle, chopped
    6 to 8 slices sweet bread and butter pickles, chopped
    6 soft sammy buns, such as soft burger rolls, split

Bring liquids to a simmer in a small to medium skillet and slide in the chicken breast meat. Gently poach the chicken 10 minutes, turning once about after 5 minutes.
    While chicken poaches, heat a second medium skillet over medium low heat. To hot skillet, add extra-virgin olive oil and garlic and onion and gently saute until chicken is ready to come out of poaching liquids. Combine the next 5 ingredients in a medium bowl and reserve.
    When the chicken has cooked through, add 2 ladles of the cooking liquid to the bowl, combining with the sauces, spices, brown sugar and tomato paste. Once the liquids and seasonings are combined, remove chicken, slice it, and transfer to the medium bowl. Using 2 forks, shred the chicken and combine with the liquids. Add the shredded chicken to the onions and garlic and combine well. Simmer together 5 to 10 minutes, using extra cooking liquids to make your chicken as saucy as you like.
    Combine sour and sweet pickles in a small bowl. Split rolls and fill with scoops of shredded chicken. Top with pickle relish and serve.

I love this recipe it great in the winter when I'm craving something bbq'd in the winter. (I'm from canada so I'm not going to do that!)

30. heart4kids

heart4kids Rookie

Jul 25, 2007

31. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 25, 2007

You've probably never cooked with ground veal before, but try this. It is delicious:

Veal Meatballs and Rice

3/4 lb ground veal (not always easy to find)
    seasoned breadcrumbs
    1/2 cup oatmeal
    1 egg
    dash garlic, salt, pepper
    1 can Campbells golden mushroom soup (not cream of mushroom)
    1 small can of mushrooms
    1 chopped celery stalk
    1/2 can water

Combine first 6 ingredients and form into meatballs.
    In a skillet, put last 4 ingredients and stir. Add meatballs and spoon soup over them.

Cover and cook on the stovetop on low for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.

I serve these over yellow rice and it's my son's favorite meal. I like to add frozen green peas during the last 5 minutes the rice is cooking and serve with sliced tomatoes in valsamic vinegar.

32. teacheratheart

teacheratheart Companion

Jul 25, 2007

I love ground turkey and am always looking for recipes using it. Here is my absolute favorite I've found so far.

Creamy Turkey Meatloaf

1 C corn bread stuffing mix
    1 C Ranch dressing
    2 lbs ground turkey

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Crush stuffing mix with rolling pin. In large bowl mix stuffing crumbs with ranch and 1/2 cup of water. Set aside for 10 minutes. Add turkey to stuffing mix and combine thorougly with hands. Season with 1/4 tsp salt and a pinch of pepper. Form into loaf in a 9 by 5 inch loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour.

I, by no means, am a good cook. I like to try but then I screw up and get discouraged and we go back to spaghetti for a while. But this recipe, I have NEVER, EVER messed up. It always comes out great. I usually serve it with mashed potatoes and broccoli.