Recipes

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Feb 23, 2016.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Feb 23, 2016

Anyone care to share a tried-and-true meal recipe? I'm looking for anything simple yet tasty!

Ever feel like you're stuck in a rut in terms of cooking?

DizneeTeachR likes this.
  3. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

Feb 23, 2016

Do you have a crock pot? I have really good crock pot recipes.

Other favorites:
    - one pot pasta. I usually make this with one box of pasta, one jar of sauce, and 3/4 of that jar full of water or chicken broth. Boil it for 20 min, stirring often. You should also add onions, carrots, celery, and garlic at the beginning. In the last 5 min, add mushrooms. In the last 2 min, add a couple big handfuls of spinach. I just made that one last night.
    - one pan fajitas. Preheat oven to 400. Slice onions and peppers and toss them with oil, salt, chili powder, cumin, oregano, and garlic powder (I use a lot of spice so about a tsp of each). Slice 2 chicken breast in half the long way so you have 4 skinnier pieces. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cumin if you want. Put it all on a greased baking sheet for 20-25 min. Warm the wraps in the oven for a couple minutes. Slice up the chicken before eating.
    - fried rice. Leftover rice, bag of frozen mixed veggies or Asian veggies, one egg, and usually leftover chicken or pork. I always look up a sauce recipe online so I don't have one handy but it's really just soy sauce. I use Szechuan sauce bc I have it handy.
    - chili. I use ground turkey, you can use beef. Brown with onions and garlic. Add in chopped peppers and sautée until soft. Add a can of diced tomatoes or Rotel, can of tomato sauce + one can water, cans of dark red and regular kidney beans, and half a cup of rice. Stir. Add in spices - tablespoons of chili powder and oregano, teaspoons of cumin and garlic powder, dashes of salt and cayenne pepper. Stir. Simmer until the rice looks about done. Add frozen corn and simmer 5 more min.

Those are just the best ones from this week. I get a lot of meal inspiration from Pinterest.

I'm failing this week at meal planning so I know what you mean. I have tons of ingredients, just no actual food. It's annoying.

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 23, 2016

I have a couple I can pass to ya... Have to get on my computer though...already have recipes typed there. Lol

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 23, 2016

Pan fry breaded tilapia (quick!), serve with rice steamed with broccoli.
    Ground veal meatballs cooked in Campbell's golden mushroom soup (not cream of mushroom) with diced celery and extra mushrooms, serve over rice or noodles.

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 23, 2016

Italian Pork chops
    Ingredients

• 3 eggs, lightly beaten
    • 3 tablespoons milk
    • 1 1/2 cups Italian seasoned bread crumbs
    • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    • 2 tablespoons dried parsley
    • 2 tablespoons olive oil
    • 4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
    • 4 pork chops
    Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).

2. In a small bowl, beat together the eggs and milk. In a separate small bowl, mix the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and parsley.

3. Heat the olive oil in a large, oven-proof skillet over medium heat. Stir in the garlic, and cook until lightly browned. Remove garlic, reserving for other uses.

4. Dip each pork chop into the egg mixture, then into the bread crumb mixture, coating evenly. Place coated pork chops in the skillet, and brown abut 5 minutes on each side.

5. Place the skillet and pork chops in the preheated oven, and cook 25 minutes, or to an internal temperature of 160 degrees F (70 degrees C).

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 23, 2016

Rotini Chicken

Cube boneless Checken Breasts

Pan fry chicken breasts

After cooked

Add 1 can Chicken Broth

2 cups Rotini Noodles

Cover & simmer for 10-12 mins until noodles are done

Add 1 cup shredded cheese

Can add frozen veggies.

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 23, 2016

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 23, 2016

Pastina With Cream Cheese
    Serves: 4 servings

Prep time: 5 minutes

Cook time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:
    • Kosher salt
    • 1/2 pound pastina or other small-shaped pasta, like Acini de Pepe
    • 1 cup cream cheese, room temperature, cut into small pieces
    • 2 tablespoons butter
    • 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
    Directions:
    1. Bring a large pot of boiling water to a boil over high heat. Add salt and pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, until al dente. Remove from heat and reserve about 1 cup of the cooking water. Pour off almost all of the remaining cooking water, leaving the pastina in the pot.
    2. Return pot to medium heat. Add cream cheese, stirring, until completely absorbed and almost forms a sauce. Stir in salt and butter. If the pastina seems too thick, add some of the reserved cooking water. Remove from heat and stir in Parmesan cheese
    This is from the Cake Boss... we use it as a side. It's really good. The last time I just broke spaghetti noodles up & it was really good.

10. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 23, 2016

Now... I could really help ya with desserts... LOL!!!

MLB711 and MrsC like this.
  11. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Feb 23, 2016

Y'all are awesome!!!

12. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 23, 2016

Ytg...we make the recipes I posted as a rotation as well!! So they are tried & liked. My sis make the rotini chicken without veggies... But we always put veggies in ours!!!

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 23, 2016

Chicken Casar Crescent Pizza

Unroll two tubes of crescent rolls or crescent roll sheets onto Silpat lined cookie sheet (or one roll for less people)
    Press together at seams. Bake according to package.
    Mix together a package of softened cream cheese, some Caesar dressing, parm cheese, italan seasoning and spread on cooled crescent crust.

Make a Caesar salad (romaine, parm, dressing-throw in some other chopped veg if you want) arrange on top of crust. Then top with cooked chicken ( I pull apart a store rotisserie chicken- or sometimes I put pre cooked left over salmon) sprinkle with more parm, drizzle a bt more dressing (I like the creamy Caesar for this)

14. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 23, 2016

Cza sounds good.
    You reminded me... For that rotini chicken...we have used a rotisserie chicken too.

15. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 25, 2016

Trying a new banana bread streusal recipe. It smells yummy...
    Sorry YTG... Had to mention it. Did make the cheesy chicken I sent ya with mashed potatoes...maybe broccoli for the veggie! Lol

16. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 26, 2016

I have been using a few recipes from the Hungry Girl website. I just tweak them to fit our tastes. I guess I have a lot of "foodie" friends on Facebook because I see new recipes pop up every day. I suggest you get some "foodie" friends!

17. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Feb 28, 2016

Here are a few chicken recipes that are favorites in our house.
    Chicken Angel Hair Pasta
    You need:
    1/4 c. butter
    1 pack of Italian-style dressing mix
    1/2 c. white cooking wine (different from white drinking wine)
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    4 oz. cream cheese (with chives if you can find it)
    1 lb. boneless chicken breast
    1 lb. angelhair pasta

Put everything except the pasta in the crock pot. Make sure to cube the butter and cream cheese into five or six pieces. Stir to coat and cook on low for about 8 hours. During the last 20 minutes cook the pasta as normal. Shred the chicken and stir to coat. Serve over the pasta.

Chicken Taco Casserole
    You need:
    4 c. shredded cooked chicken (I pick up a small rotisserie and pull meat off the bones)
    2 cans crm. of chicken soup
    1 c. light sour cream
    1 c. tomatoes and green chiles, undrained
    1 can black beans, rinsed and drained (we sub with canned corn)
    1 envelope of taco seasoning mix
    5 c. crushed Doritos or similar
    2 c. shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease a 9X13 pan. Stir together all but last two ingredients in a bowl. Spoon half the chicken mix into bottom of the pan. Layer with 3 cups of crushed chips and half of the cheese. Repeat the layers of chicken mix and chips. Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes. Remove and sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top of the chips. Return to oven and bake uncovered for 10 minutes or until hot and bubbly.

Wild Butter Chicken
    You need:
    2 eggs, beaten
    1 c. crushed buttery cracker crumbs (such as Ritz or Townhouse)
    1/2 tsp. garlic salt
    ground black pepper to taste
    4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 oz)
    1/2 c. butter, cubed

Preheat the oven to 375. Place beaten eggs in a shallow bowl. Mix cracker crumbs, garlic salt, and pepper in another shallow bowl. Use a rubber mallet or meat tenderizer to pound chicken down to about 1/4 inch thickness if needed. Dip one piece of chicken in egg and coat on all sides. Then dredge in cracker crumbs. Repeat with the remaining chicken. Arrange all chicken pieces in a 9X13 inch pan, and place pieces of butter around and between the pieces. Bake 40 minutes of until juices run clear.

18. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Feb 28, 2016

The last one is perfect if you have a lot of frustration you need to release.

czacza likes this.
  19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 28, 2016

Most professional chefs (and this home cook) would tell you it's better to use 'drinking wine' in recipes than 'cooking wine' ....I live by 'don't cook with a wine you wouldn't drink' (plus you can pour yourself a glass and sip while you are cooking) :pIf you want to eliminate alcohol from a recipe, you can substitute broth or water in most cases.

20. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Feb 28, 2016

My family enjoys this pasta dish. It all gets put into one pot and is very easy to make.
    http://www.thewholesomedish.com/one-pot-wonder-southwest-pasta/

Here's another "one pot" dish that we like:
    http://everydaydishes.com/simple-food-recipes/lazy-stuffed-peppers-recipe/
    For this one I use pre-cokked brown rice. I buy the frozen kind in a bag that you just have to microwave for 3 minutes. I tried the recipe as written with the uncooked rice and it just never cooked all the way through. Plus I'd rather use the healthier brown rice. Leave out the chicken broth if you use the pre-cooked rice. We're vegetarians so I use "smart ground" instead of ground beef but I'll assume it's yummy with the regular ground beef.

21. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Feb 28, 2016

I like cooking cherry tomatoes like this as a side:

(http://allrecipes.com/recipe/94072/sauteed-cherry-tomatoes-with-garlic-and-basil/)

Sauteed Cherry Tomatoes with Garlic and Basil
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Recipe By:USA WEEKEND columnist Pam Anderson
    "Cherry tomatoes take less than 10 minutes to prepare."
    Ingredients
    • 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
    • 2 pints cherry or grape tomatoes
    • Salt and pepper
    • 2 garlic cloves, minced
    • 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
    Directions
    1. Heat 1 Tb. olive oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high flame until it just starts to smoke. Add tomatoes, and season with salt and pepper. Saute, shaking pan frequently, until tomatoes soften and skins just begin to wrinkle, about 2 minutes. Stir in the garlic and continue to shake the pan until garlic is fragrant. Off heat, stir in the basil and remaining 1 Tb. olive oil, then serve.

22. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 29, 2016

We also use leftover ham & make the sauce for Waikiki meatballs. You need pineapple juice, so we use pineapple tidbits. Used tidbits with chopped pineapple heat & make rice. Put ham & pineapple over rice cover with the sauce.

Made blueberry cobbler tonight...it is so good!!! :)

23. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Mar 1, 2016

You had me at ham, pineapple tidbits, and pineapple juice. Easy and over rice just makes it better. Thank you for sharing.

24. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 1, 2016

I know...it is super easy. The "sauce" is so easy too. We love to have it after making a ham. You can use whatever pineapple...we like tidbits the best...we have tried them all. ;)
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/25197/waikiki-meatballs/ if you start at the cornstarch & go down to the pepper (we don't put that in) that is the sauce.