Recipe Unit

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by krisaustin, Apr 15, 2008.

1. krisaustin

krisaustin Companion

Apr 15, 2008

I want to start a recipe unit in my classroom. I teach students with severe disabilities and autism. My students are in first and second grade (7, 8 and 9).

I am looking for picture books that have recipes that we could make. I am also looking for any ideas.

Thanks for all of your help.

3. bcblue

bcblue Comrade

Apr 15, 2008

The Best Mouse Cookie by Laura Numeroff and Felicia Bond could be a nice intro. It doesn't contain an actual recipe, but the mouse (of "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" fame) goes through many of the steps of making cookies.

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Apr 15, 2008

If you can get your hands on a copy of Kinder Krunchies, it's a fantastic recipe book for kids, with pictures and simple directions. It was sold back in the 80's by Discovery Toys.

I have another one at school that I'll try to get the name of tomorrow. :)

5. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Apr 15, 2008

http://www.news-2-you.com

This is a WONDERFUL newspaper that is released weekly. It comes with pre-made communication boards, a newspaper with recent/updated/interesting news in four levels (simplified, basic, moderate, advanced), and each week it has a new recipe! When you become a member, you can have access to some of the older issues. There are also questions for students to answer. It's a great way to facilitate communication, meet social studies/science goals, and give lower functioning students access to the news!

We LOVE News-2-You!

6. bethechange

bethechange Comrade

Apr 18, 2008

I do a weekly cooking lesson with my kindergarten students with autism. We usually do the same recipe two weeks in a row. It is amazing how much easier and more familiar they are with it the second week.

I sometimes make my own picture recipes using Boardmaker, but I have a great book called Look and Cook by the Mailbox. It has 6-step picture recipes in color and black and white. They are line/cartoon drawings and not photos, but I usually split my kids up and do two groups. The first group uses the picture recipes. They each have their own copy and we cross off the steps as we go.

The second group uses a left to right task strip with photo pictures I take with a digital camera. This group needs much more assistance with the steps. It is a lot of work to take all the pictures, but it makes a huge difference in the level of independence they have with actually doing the steps themselves.

Also, if you have access to Boardmaker, you can sign up for an account on the Yahoo groups page and then access the Boardmaker group. There are several pre-made Boardmaker recipes on there.

I also have a special needs cookbook at school with photo pictures of recipes for things like Mac'N'Cheese, peanut butter and jelly, etc, but I can't remember what it's called. I'll look later and post it.

7. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Apr 20, 2008

The other one I have at school is I Made It Myself... it looks like it's published through UIC. Each step is on its own page so it's very easy for kids to follow.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 20, 2008

Honest Pretzels: And 64 Other Amazing Recipes for Cooks Ages 8 & Up (Hardcover)
    by Mollie Katzen

Cup Cooking Starter Set: Single Step Charts for Child-Portion Picture Recipes (Paperback)
    by Barbara Johnson

Pretend Soup and Other Real Recipes: A Cookbook for Preschoolers & Up (Hardcover)
    by Mollie Katzen

9. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Apr 20, 2008

Look and Cook Book from Mailbox is a great book. It has simple recipes with the step-by-step pictures.

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 1, 2008

I usually look for recipies online. Go to Tinsnips.org (a lot of good special ed resources can be found here) and look under What's cooking? There are recipies with pictures of the ingredients and steps. I have had my students cut out the pictures and make a mini book.