Recipe Cards

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by StudentTeach, Aug 24, 2012.

1. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

Aug 24, 2012

I got some recipe cards at the dollar store yesterday, and I'm hoping to come up with at least 10 easy dinner ideas that I can make during the work week. I really shied away from cooking last year and ended up eating a can of soup almost every night. This year I'm determined to be healthy! What are some of your favorite easy/healthy dinners? Do you use recipe cards? How do you organize them? So far I tried out making stuffed peppers and they were really good, so that will be my first card!

3. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Aug 24, 2012

Here is my favorite dinner that meets those criteria. I love to eat it over fritos, but it's tasty without them too, and healthier.

Taco Salad
    1 lb ground beef
    1 packet taco seasoning
    1 package frozen corn
    1 can black beans
    1 bag salad mix (or about that much lettuce)
    Salsa
    Pico de gallo
    Cheddar cheese
    Any other taco-y toppings you like

Brown the beef. Add in the taco seasoning according to the directions on the packet. (Note: Taco seasoning is not great for you. I know there are ways to make a similar seasoning from spices and stuff, but I haven't tried.) Put the beef in a bowl in the fridge to cool if desired. Cook the frozen corn. Rinse the black beans. Layer salad - beef - salsa - beans - corn - pico de gallo - cheese and eat!

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2012

I have two recipe boxes...one is just baking recipes:D...the other is categorized with dividers: beverages, appetizers, soups, vegetables, main courses...etc

Lemon, Caper, White bean pasta

Ingredients
    8 ounces angel hair pasta
    1 large lemon, zested and juiced (2 teaspoons zest and 1/4 cup juice)
    1 teaspoon garlic pepper
    2 Tablespoons capers - rinsed well
    1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
    3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
    Salt to taste

Directions

Cook pasta in several quarts of boiling water until al dente. Angel hair only takes 4-5 minutes to cook. Drain, set aside and keep warm.
    Heat butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add lemon juice, zest and garlic pepper. Stir and cook until bubbling.
    Stir in beans and capers and heat through briefly. Salt as desired. Toss with pasta and serve.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2012

Just to mix it up, endhiladas are incredibly easy:

Chop some cooked chicken (either that you've cooked yourself or the pre-done pieces.) Mix it with chopped onion and shredded Cheddar cheese.

Spread a little Enchilada sauce (available by the can/jar in the Mexican food aisle) in the bottom of a baking dish. Take some tortillas, fill with the chicken mixture. top with more sauce and more grated cheese.

Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

It tastes even better with Sangria, of course :)

6. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

Aug 24, 2012

Yum, these all sound great!! Today I made a homemade corn salsa over a veggie burger with an arugula salad which was pretty easy!

7. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2012

I just started my recipe box... I have lots of recipes on loose pieces of paper. Every time I make one, I put write it out on a card and put it in the box (the ones in my mom and grandma's handwriting go in a special book). I have the organizers for the box.

Easy Salmon - a weekly staple at my house

One or two salmon fillets, defrosted
    1 tsp olive oil
    Garlic salt
    Black pepper
    Dried dill
    Lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350. Pour olive oil into baking dish and coat thinly. Place salmon in dish; give it a squirt of lemon juice; season with pepper, garlic salt, and dill to taste (I like it a bit heavy on the dill). Bake for 20 minutes; serve with rice and veggies.

(Just don't be like me and accidentally buy the kind of rice that takes an hour to cook!)