Recinded my offer

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by wldywall, Aug 22, 2014.

1. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 22, 2014

I've been following your situation and I am so angry, shocked, and saddened to hear about this. I am so sorry this has happened to you. It's just unbelievable. I truly hope things look up for you soon... :hugs:

2. houseofbooks

houseofbooks Companion

Aug 22, 2014

I'm shocked and disgusted that this has happened to you. I am so so so sorry.

3. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2014

Thankfully we still have our place in Michigan, the lease runs out in December and the landlord wouldn't let us out....so we were going to keep it until it ended.

I have a place to go, the old school district better take my son back, and my husband will just take the local truck driving job for now.....unless I find another job in three weeks.

Still free and able to move anywhere, but I turned down four interviews and one job offer after I got the Vegas job, so I think I am back at square one.

As for Aldine TX, they called twice for interviews, both times immediately changing their minds when I told them I wasn't in the state. The third call was for a phone interview and that P never called at the appointed time (it would have to have been him calling me as he never left me a number)

Im trying to figure out my next move, at the worst I wait it out until the out of state teacher fair in March and start over.

4. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 23, 2014

So sorry to hear this happened to you.

5. texashistory

texashistory Rookie

Aug 23, 2014

If you're still in Vegas drive here over the weekend. This week is the first week so some schools will be interviewing to fill up the last few spots. You drove all the way to Vegas so more miles won't hurt. You could be here by Sunday night I think.

6. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 23, 2014

If you live in the district the public school must take your child.

I just sent you a PM.

7. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Aug 23, 2014

I've been following your story too. Sending positive thoughts your way!

Remember- all things happen for a reason so keep that in mind. Something better is waiting for you!

8. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 23, 2014

Move on - literally and figuratively. It's very hedonistic - you know it's called Sin City - therefore no place to raise a child.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 23, 2014

My goodness, Milsey: shouldn't you advise the American Association of Pediatrics to revoke the board certifications of the 210 pediatricians there for malpractice because these irresponsible doctors haven't demanded that their patients' parents all grab the kiddies and flee this minute?

Or shouldn't you warn the members of the Clark County Ministerial Association that they're contributing to the depravity, even if their churches are far from the Strip and Glitter Gulch? (NBC's Web site reports that the place is full of churches - http://www.nbcnews.com/id/42074829/...little-secret-its-full-churches/#.U_ji_ihFvQc. It's is, if anything, understated.)

10. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 23, 2014

Cheers for TG!!!

11. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Aug 23, 2014

wldy... I'm sorry to hear about this... I was talking to a friend in the area who says that "non-competitive" usually refers to something more serious coming up on a background check or something. It's odd that they would use this as an excuse to rescind your offer...

I wish you all the best as you try to recover from this... I can't imagine.

12. texashistory

texashistory Rookie

Aug 23, 2014

More serious like what? If it's serious isn't that a good reason to rescind? :confused:

13. monsieurteacher

Aug 23, 2014

I would say that if it's a background check issue, then it is definitely a good reason to rescind. The OP hasn't given us any reason to believe that's the case, however.

14. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2014

I did note that when I googled this, something came up on one individual's background check with a warning of high risk of identity fraud because of rapid address changes. They had moved so the addresses didn't match. Despite a rational explanation, the employer would not be swayed. So not saying that is relevant, but I was curious what that could mean. My son has criminal history letters, but when a company did a check for Texas, it confused him with another person, same age and BD, who had an arrest. Although the SSN did not match, the school shied away - they don't want the hassle. :unsure:

15. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2014

Identity fraud......unlikely, we check regularly. As for the background check the should have found nothing. Due to once subbing in DOD schools, I have a top secret security clearance. Now if the did a background check on my name alone.......that may cause a problem, I have a common name and I'm not the only one in my part of the state.

There is nothing hiding in my background err kind save a few speeding tickets :p

16. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2014

We move frequently, due to military career, then renting once we got out........makes me wonder

17. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 23, 2014

They sound like they are hiding behind this so called "problem" they came up with. They could have had a very shady reason for not hiring you like someone's niece, cousin, daughter, brother, wanted the job and a cowardly administration would just take it away from you. It's their loss! Still it stinks!!

18. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2014

It would be confusion with someone else with the same name I would suspect. These places only scan, a lot of them, on name and DOB - no SSN. It is a bugger to clear up, but the good news is that just as many scan correctly, and some states allow you to archive your criminal history clearance letters, which really simplifies things. I am so sorry for what you have gone through - it breaks my heart. :hugs:

19. monsieurteacher

Aug 23, 2014

I seem to recall you had your name changed at one point a few years back... could that be a red flag at all?

20. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Aug 23, 2014

With literally hundreds of openings in the district... I doubt it. :2cents:

21. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2014

Yeah I did but why not ask for a reason.....I brought those docs with me........I hated my old first name......No other reason

22. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 23, 2014

Did you indicate on your application that you had previously worked under another name?

23. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2014

Name changes can't be the reason. But there was a post a while back about name mix-ups showing criminal records. Could it be possible that your name is the same as someone who looks similar to you who posts wild things on social media?

24. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 23, 2014

Name changes could be the reason, if it wasn't disclosed prior to a background check.

25. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2014

Wasn't the name change preceded by a bit of a messy job dismissal? Could it be that's still following you?

26. marysmith

marysmith New Member

Aug 23, 2014

I am so sorry that this happened to you. I can't even imagine how you must feel.

I used to work at a company that did extensive background checks. When we found something negative, we will give the person an opportunity to clear it up. Several times, it was a mix-up with someone with a similar name. I have to wonder if something like that happened, but if that is the case, they should tell you the reason so that you have an opportunity to correct the record.

27. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 23, 2014

I'm so sorry this happened to you. I really don't understand though why they can't tell you the reason. Something vague such as 'you're non-competitive" is not enough information. I would want to know why I'm not hired, either so that I can fix it if it's a misunderstanding or if it's legit, I know, or maybe do something about it so it won't happen again.
    Are they not allowed to tell you specifics? Is there a law against it? Just sounds unfair.

28. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 23, 2014

WOW... just now seeing this. What a$$es! I'm stunned!!

29. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Aug 23, 2014

Wow, I am so sorry to hear this. I can't believe they did that to you. Prayers your way.

30. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2014

Yes I did as well as included an explaination

31. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2014

I wasn't dismissed, I resigned. They were going to fire me, but they had posted a bad review (which was later countered point by point by another principal) in a public forum, with my name attached. The agreement was that I resign (which I was already going to do for health reasons). The district agreed they were in the wrong for what they did and would allow me to resign without firing me, which is what the original principal was trying to do, to keep me and the union from suing over what they did.

I talked to the original district in person before I left, when they signed the paperwork for the Nevada teaching licence, they stated what they had been telling people about my previous employment, which that it was satisfactory and that I had worked there. I saw a copy of a letter they had sent to another possible employer in June and the form for Nevada. (To understand this the HR Superintendent still to this day disagrees with the principal trying to get me fired and was upset when I resigned. She and her assistant stand by me to this day, and have both personally requested that I direct people to them instead of former P's in the district).

They are not the problem, I am sure of it. BUT to be sure I will go in person this week and ask.

I also am taking advantage of the fact that my husband is a Sheriffs deputy (for a least a little while longer) and have an appointment with the Sheriff in my home community to get a personal background check done on Monday.

That said there is another person with my name in the same general area, and she has caused problems in the past with unpaid bills etc. However she is much younger than me, if they didn't do a through job checking up on me, then they would have gotten the wrong person, so we are going to check to see if she has a record as well......by having the sheriff put in my name and no other details .... to see if other people come up.

32. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2014

They said the form I signed accepting the job offer has legal writing at the bottom which states if they choose to not hire me, I am not allowed to know why.

I didn't get that looking over the paper, but they say the law is on their side.

I honestly believe they are being stupid, I know my background, I know I am clean, so if there is a problem, don't I have a right to know?

33. msmac21

msmac21 Companion

Aug 24, 2014

Like many others wldywall, I've been following your story and have admired your bravery so much! I am young and have not been able to rack up the courage to move and find a job!

I am so so sorry and shocked to hear what happened. I can't even begin to fathom how upset you are. I admire how strong you have been in all your posts. Not once have you mentioned how YOU are feeling about not being able to teach when you were so excited, how disappointed you must be, but have your family's needs in mind first and foremost. Clearly you deserve a position, and that stupid district does not deserve someone as great as you!

I too am stunned that they cannot give you any information, and something seems fishy- for an area that is so wildly desperate for teachers, you'd think that if something came up, they would ask you about it! And the principal should have continued to back you and at least try to help!

Again, I am so sorry this happened to you and I hope that something good will come of it! Best of luck to you!

34. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2014

Awful situation. I am glad you still have your apartment in MI. Things will work out. Maybe it will be a good thing that your son can finish out HS at a place that is familiar. Best wishes to you all.

35. marysmith

marysmith New Member

Aug 24, 2014

This is what is so unbelievable. Common sense and human decency would let you know what they found in checking references and background and would give you the opportunity to clear it up. :confused:

36. hep223

hep223 Companion

Aug 24, 2014

I am sorry this happened to you and your plan to check on stuff when you get home is a good start!!

Do they not do your background checks off fingerprints? That is how my state does it.

I wish you the best moving back and getting settled at home.

37. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Aug 24, 2014

I'm very sorry this happened to you. I'm shocked that they would have you come all the way out there without being 100% sure you were the candidate they wanted. I hope a new, better, and legitimate opportunity is around the corner.

38. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Aug 24, 2014

Wldy, did you already have a Nevada license? 3 years ago I moved from Utah. I ended up in Mississippi. Central Mississippi called the Jackson Metro area is a good place to teach. ( this is outside of Jackson) The con is the pay is low. However, I interviewed with Clark County and considered teaching in Las Vegas. For some reason unknown to me my license wasn't approved. I was driving from Salt Lake to California for Vacation and dropped by the office in Vegas. I found out someone had put down I went the alternate route to teaching. Totally not the case, but at that time they weren't accepting alternate route. They ended up getting it straightened out , but by that time I was teaching in Mississippi. I'm sorry you weren't able to find out why. I don't think I would have either if I hadn't dropped by and talked to the right person at the right time. It's. Turned out well for me as I teach in a rural school and live in a great town. I hope you find something soon. So sorry this happened to you.

39. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2014

No, I don't have it yet, but I will call that office this week and see if that is part of the problem. Thanks for the heads up.

40. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 24, 2014

Perhaps this is why the county has so many job openings?? :dizzy: