Recess

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by melnm, May 10, 2009.

1. melnm

melnm Companion

May 10, 2009

Does your school have it? How many times a day? How do you feel about recess in general?

I ask these questions because we will be moving to a new town next month. My son starts kindergarten in the fall and I've been looking at the district's website and all of the kindergarten classes and found that none of them have recess. I am not happy about it. My son really needs some unstructured time, as I believe all children do at this age. This is a low income, low performing area, so I'm sure that is why they are skipping recess. Though I still don't believe that justifies it.

3. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

May 11, 2009

Yes. My kids get about 20 minutes after lunch. However, I live in PA so during the winter months we can't go out. Snow and ice covered the playground this past winter from mid December until March. The kids sort of got used to not going out during those months, but I was certainly glad when the weather started to get better and I could let them outside to run around. Many schools are totally eliminating recess and it is so sad. Is your son going to full day or half day kindergarten? If it is only half day that maybe the reason for no recess. Also, my district doesn't list recess on our district website, but we still have it. You may want to double check to see if maybe it just wasn't listed on the site.

4. melnm

melnm Companion

May 11, 2009

He will be in a full day program. I'm not thrilled with what I've read from the district's website anyway, but I might call or email them about it. I'm looking into private school options too. Lots to figure out!

5. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

May 11, 2009

We have 2 15-minute recesses. One right after lunch and one near the end of the day. I think we need even more time than that, but that is all that is built into our schedule.

6. janney

janney Cohort

May 11, 2009

I would call the school. I checked my district's and school's website (in TX) and they don't mention anything about recess. My school does have 15 minutes a day for recess. Most of the Kindergarten teachers in my school stay out for longer than 15 min.

7. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

May 11, 2009

We have recess and I feel like it is completely necessary. All the grades have at least 15 minutes of recess each day and 27 minutes of P.E.

8. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

May 11, 2009

We have 30 mns of recess daily with an option of an hour on Friday because we are shorted in special area time.

9. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

May 12, 2009

Our recess is completely left up to the discretion of the teacher. My class takes at least 15 minutes a day and we go just before lunch because we have the playground to ourselves. I used to work at a school that didn't do recess because they wanted the day to address only the academics - I had a hard time with that. Although I would just incorporate a lot of movement activities throughout the day and give them time to have just "free play" which was unstructured and they could socialize some.

Research shows that everyone, even adults need to give their brains a break. We had a speaker last year who said kids should be able to get up and move around or stretch every hour of the day. That if they did that, the information they were learning would be retained much more successfully.

10. firstgurl85

firstgurl85 Companion

May 12, 2009

We have recess 2x a day for 20 minutes- one right before lunch and one towards the end of the day (our lunch is at 11:45). It really shows when they haven't been out- they get very restless ans need a place to expend some energy!

11. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

May 12, 2009

We have 2 thirty minute recesses a day. I personally think it is too long. Plus we have thirty minutes of music and thirty minutes of physical education each day. I know, I have two hours of planning if I don't have duty. But, I can't get the two older teachers (20+ years here) to change. I would like to at least go to two twenty minute recesses.

12. little317

little317 Groupie

May 15, 2009

We have a 20 minute recess plus travel to and from the classroom and getting drinks, so it equals to 30 minutes. The days it is raining and we can't get outside, they go crazy...as do I!

13. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

May 15, 2009

Mrachelle, two hours of planning time every day?? Wow!

We have two 20 minute recesses, plus the 45 minute lunch period.

14. Mrs.Z.

Mrs.Z. Companion

May 15, 2009

We have 2 recesses. One in the morning is 20 minutes. The other is after the kids finish eating, they go play on the playground. Some of them take the entire 40 minutes to eat, others eatin 10 and play for 30. We also have afternoon recess any day we don't have PE. I work @ a private school