Recess

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by teachfrog, Aug 29, 2008.

1. teachfrog

teachfrog Rookie

Aug 29, 2008

I'm revamping my schedule for this year and I would like some input on recess. I know that these days Kindergarten is very academically rigorous, but I still schedule it for my kids. My question is, how many minutes per day do you schedule recess? Does this include lunch recess? :thanks:

3. NewGirl23

NewGirl23 Rookie

Aug 29, 2008

We have 15 minutes of recess after lunch each day. My school will only allow 15, however, I would like to be able to have an extra 15 minutes of recess in the afternoon.

4. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Aug 29, 2008

Technically, we have 15 minutes scheduled after lunch, but I am allowed to stay out longer if I feel the kids need it. I actually schedule recess for about 25 minutes because you have to count the time it will take to get coats on, walk out, line up to come back in , get drinnks at the fountain, put coats away etc.. During the winter months we usually can't go out so I make the most of the nice weather in the Fall and spring.

5. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Aug 29, 2008

I'm in middle school...and we have 15 minutes of recess...does anyone else think that is weird?
    (Not exactly on topic, but I felt the need to share)

6. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 29, 2008

Our children are in school from 8:30-3 and we have an hour recess from 10:30-11:30 in the morning and then 45 minutes after lunch from 12:45-1:30. It's fantastic and they love it and it gives us lots of time to explore the outdoors and do gardening and exploring the natural world while we're out there. We have a bit of sand outside, some wooded areas and only a very small area of blacktop. I love our outside space! (and yes, this is for K's.)

7. cycourt

cycourt Rookie

Aug 29, 2008

we have ten minutes in the morning, 40 minutes after lunch and ten minutes in the afternoon. we also have daily physical activity time in the gym or outside for at least 20 minutes.

8. cycourt

cycourt Rookie

Aug 29, 2008

PS. in response to alisha, i think recess for middle school students is essential. they are growing bodies and they need a time for some nutrition, fresh air and freedom

9. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 29, 2008

I have 25 minutes per day scheduled and that comes out to 20 minutes play time (we don't have lunch recess). I can stay longer if I want to or take an afternoon recess if I feel that we need to (I don't do this often). We have 27 minutes of P.E. each day as well.

10. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 29, 2008

All kids need a time of physical activity. If they don't have PE, then they need SOMETHING. My school provides a 20 minute "spilling out" right after lunch.

11. AFWifeNGermany

AFWifeNGermany Rookie

Aug 30, 2008

We have 30 minutes after lunch. In the beginning, we also go out for 20 minutes in the morning.

In response to the amount of recess in Montessori, that's pretty typical. Montessori is VERY different from "traditional" school. Play and choice is the emphasis, so of course outside time would be increased.

12. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Aug 30, 2008

30 mins of recess everyday with two on Fridays because we get shorter PE and Music than the rest of the school. We have to sipervise our own recess so while it is nice it doesn't make up for missed planning time.

13. lw3teach

lw3teach Companion

Aug 30, 2008

We give 15-20 minutes in the morning, 35 before lunch, and 15 at the end of the day.
    It is ESSENTIAL for brain development that the kids get outside and get large motor movement. Not to mention blowing off the steam.
    If not outside, maybe some indoor exercises?

14. princessa48

princessa48 Companion

Aug 30, 2008

We usually do a half hour in the afternoon...but, after this first week of Kindergarten we have decided to do a twenty minute recess in the morning as well. Our school day is from 7:45-3:45, and the kids just should not be expected to sit this long. They are only five/six years old :) We tried the two recess thing yesterday for the first time, and I cannot believe how much better our day was.

15. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Aug 30, 2008

I'm so jealous of most of your schedules! We have ONE recess (30 minutes) and it is at the very end of the day...2:30-3:00. My kids did well this week until after lunch...then they just wanted to go home or play! I don't blame them...we have a LONG day! No morning recess or naps!:(

16. mcjklj

mcjklj Rookie

Aug 31, 2008

We have a morning recess from 9:20 - 9:40; lunch is 10:50 - 11:20, and an afternoon recess 1:15-1:30. It's good they get out of the classroom a few times. Manda -- I can't imagine how long your day must be...both for the kids and you! :)

The only thing I don't like about our schedule is that by 11:20 the kids have had two breaks and we still have 4 1/2 hours of school. (We start at 8:00.)

17. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 31, 2008

Recess should not be sacrificed for more instructional time. Children need the excercise and the outlet and it actually makes instructional time more effective.

However, I don't make the rules. My students get one 15 minute recess after lunch and another one near the end of the day.

We used to start our year with a 3rd recess that we had in the morning, but then our lunchtime got moved earlier and there wasn't really much time. Also, in the heat, they don't like to go outside sometimes!

I do try to take them outside for instruction or other activities when I can.

18. Kindtchr

Kindtchr Comrade

Aug 31, 2008

I have 2 half day sessions of 3 hours each & they get 15 min. each day. Twice a week they also have P.E. for 30 min.

Last year I had one session (24 students) that was extended by 45 min. as there was no p.m. session coming. (I did have a 2 hour preschool session every day, though.) It was the same schedule but sometimes I also took them outside for for math games so we would have more room to stretch out.

The other grades get 15 min. in the mornings & 25 min. after lunch. Teachers have to supervise the mornings. They can also take them out again in the afternoon as a reward but have to watch them by themselves.

Our school was mentioned in the newspaper as having the most recess time in the state. Although we are economically in the middle as far as income, we always have high test scores! (We don't have state tests for K & grade 1 :))