Recess time

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by leighbball, Mar 24, 2009.

1. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 24, 2009

In responding to a post about scheduling, I got to thinking about how much my kids are missing out on recess because they only get 15 minutes per day if they are lucky. There are days when they have less time because the whole grade level isn't ready on time or lunch takes longer because so many kids bought hot lunch.

When I was in elem school (which isn't THAT long ago...I'm only turning 28 next week!), I had a whole 30-40 minutes daily. It was so good for us because we got our energy out and had fun.

How much time do your kids get?? I feel like my kids suffer because they only get 15 minutes and there isn't time in the schedule for more... :(

3. anitae209

anitae209 Rookie

Mar 24, 2009

Hi, I'm currently doing my student teaching with a 2nd grade classroom and they only get an 8 minute break! We do try to do P.E everyday (which doesn't really happen) for about 20 mins and then they have recess but it's probably around 10 minutes. They really do not get enough play time but I do a PAT system where if they are on task I give them extra minutes and on Fridays they get to go out for as long as those minutes are so I am basing it on their behavior but they do get "extra time".

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 24, 2009

Adults working a four-hour fast-food shift with an eight-minute break would be entitled to think themselves hard done by... Middle-school and high-school students at least get passing periods. But we expect the littler ones to go from bell to bell with next to no chance to think their own thoughts, and still really integrate what they're learning?

When I was a kid in a gifted program, some of the most interesting things we did were the things we planned out ourselves during lunch and recesses.

Let me hasten to add that I don't blame individual teachers here. This kind of scheduling is the result of cascades of desperation from all the levels above the individual classroom.

And it's insane.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 24, 2009

We are required to have 15 minutes per day but administration has "suggested" that we count walking time to and from lunch as part of recess.

6. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Mar 24, 2009

Our elementary kids have lunch and recess from 11:00 -12:30 each day. Lunch is usually around 40 minutes of that time, so recess is usually 50 minutes of that time.

I really feel sorry for the kids who don't get much time for recess.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 24, 2009

We have a 30 minute recess every morning and an hour lunch/recess (20 minutes to eat lunch then 40 minutes recess).

8. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Mar 24, 2009

Our poor kids get onlly 30 minutes for lunch (which includes travel time and we are a large school, plus they have to wait in line for hot lunches, and the lines are long.) THey are lucky if they actually get 15 minutes to sit down at assigned seats and scarf down their lunch. And even then, part of that will be "on silent lunch" as the cafeteria gets too loud and they announce "No talking for 5 minutes."

We only have 15 minutes for recess, and that has to include travel time, and the time to get out coats, so the kids get less than 10 actual minutes of play -- oh yes, and this is their only time to officially use the restroom -- so many have to stop for that.

If we give them more than those 15 minutes, we'd get in trouble. And often, if we are running behind on our schedule, teachers will teach right through recess. (I try to never do that -- I think kids need to run.)

9. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 24, 2009

We get 30 minutes including travel time. Our studens also have 2 PE classes each week for another 1.5 hours then we do a 40 minute extra recess on Friday to meet the mandated requirements (of something). So all total that is 4 hours 40 minutes of activity.

10. Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer Companion

Mar 24, 2009

Wow. I am amazed at how little recess time your kids are getting. At my school the kids get about 10-15 minutes of recess after lunch and another 30-40 minutes later in the day. They also get 45 of PE. May I also mention that we have done great on our standardized tests and our kids are extremely successful. (For Texas folks, we're exemplary.) I had never made the connection before, but I wonder now if that could be part of it.

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 24, 2009

I'd wager on it.

What does your school do by way of prepping kids for the tests?

12. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 24, 2009

We are exemplary as well...with our 4 hours and 40 minutes. In fact we are and NCLB Blue Ribbon School.

We practice TAKS like all the others but we also really rally around the kids.

We just got our passing rate for the first round of TAKS but I am not allowed to tell :naughty: At this point it is still rumor anyway.

13. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2009

15 minutes right after 30 minute lunch. The playground is right outside the cafeteria. I sometimes pick them up 5 minutes early so they can get some more time in.

14. Mr. H

Mr. H Rookie

Mar 24, 2009

Whats Recess ??:D

15. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Mar 25, 2009

We have an eight minute bathroom break in the morning. We have 45 minutes of P.E. four times a week, library once a week. Our afternoon recess is 15 minutes including travel time; there is also a warning bell that rings after 13 minutes to let the students know it is time to line up.

16. Arky

Arky Comrade

Mar 25, 2009

We have a 30 minute recess each day. Part of that time is lining up to come in for lunch so we cannot take a longer recess. Other grades can though as we are the only grade that goes to recess first and lunch second. We see 4th out longer than their 30 minutes often.

17. Mommateach

Mommateach Rookie

Mar 25, 2009

In my son's former elementary school the children (grades K-3) had 20 minutes allotted for lunch (including passing time, waiting in line etc.). By the time the kids sat down they had about 15 minutes to eat. There was a mandatory 10 minute no talking time. If they talked the lights were shut off and they lost stickers on their grade level sticker chart. Some of the kindergartners were very frightened of this. The cold lunch kids and hot lunch kids were assigned to separate tables in order to save time. After lunch period the children were able to have a 15 minute recess. To save time in cold weather the kids would eat lunch in their snow pants. The kids also had a 15 minute recess mid morning or a late afternoon recess depending on the schedule. I'm pretty sure the students had P.E. also two or three times a week. The kindergartners also had a free choice time the last 25 minutes of the full day (8-3).

I wish children had more playtime. What I'm hearing is that our state mandatory instruction hours have increased, so certain activities have been limited in order to have more classroom time. The former super of the district that I live in said the only thing she could have done is lengthened the school day.

18. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Mar 25, 2009

District I'm subbing in has a "walking club" after lunch before recess officially starts. The state supposedly mandates daily PE, but they only have it twice a week, so this is how thy get around it. After lunch, before the teachers come out for recess supervision, the kids are required to walk laps around the blacktop. That's also what the kids who have lost recess privileges do... instead of playing, they walk laps. After walking, they get about 25 minutes of recess time.

There isn't time in the rest of the day to incorporate another recess, sadly.

I grew up in TN... I don't remember EVER having daily recess, but we DID have 30 min (at least) of PE every day. And I distinctly remember Fridays were free choice days. Lunch was going to the lunch room, eating, and coming back to class. But most of my teachers, at least in younger grades, took us out for recess at times. It may or may not have been every day, I can't remember.

19. ImaSuperTeacher

ImaSuperTeacher Rookie

Mar 25, 2009

I teach at a Charter school in Texas. My 5th graders have 1/2 hour of Recess on Mondays and Fridays. On Tuesday-Thursday they have P.E. for 50 minutes (if I'm lucky). We have 1/2 hour for lunch. However, we are the last lunch and after 7th grade. Some teachers take their students out to recess after lunch but for only 15-20 minutes depending on the day. When my students have recess and P.E. it ends 1/2 hour before we go to lunch.
    It's not ideal, but I work with it. Sometimes I take them out at the end of the day because I can tell when they NEED to go outside.

20. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 25, 2009

It's sad that my kids aren't alone in this :( If I ever go back to school again (like grad school) I would love to do research on this topic...I bet it does make a difference overall!!

21. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 26, 2009

Along this vein... but kidnapping it a bit... maybe I'll start another thread about attitudes about walking in the halls and bathroom breaks as the "new" recess. i think I will.... (see that thread too)

it's so sad that recess gets cut.

And the thing is... you try to tell parents to establish homework rules. If you say, "No playtime until your homework is done..." well then you have to think... WHEN would they EVER have the chance to be a kid at all?

And if they don't do homework until AFTER dinner time--well then watch out in the intermediate/middle school years when you might have an hour or two a night.

...Ok, I'll go and start that other thread about bathroom breaks considered the new recess.

22. fast chalk

fast chalk Comrade

Mar 26, 2009

We have a 20 minutes break but they "waste" a lot of minutes trying to line up properly and going down the stairs. When they get to the playground they only have time to have some cookies and play football, I think it's too short. Yesterday they told me they were very tired. Little kids, but usually BIG problems.
    And RAINY days... even worse, imagine

23. brandip22

brandip22 Rookie

Mar 26, 2009

And people wonder why kids act up during the day.

24. Ambrosegirl84

Ambrosegirl84 Companion

Mar 31, 2009

Not to mention the childhood obesity thing. Kids NEED time for free, unstructured play. If your whole school day is so tightly scheduled that you never get a chance to interact freely with other students, what happens when you have to learn to budget your time on your own? As well as social skills and exercise!

I don't think I've ever heard anyone who is in favor of taking away recess. So how does it end up happening?

My kids get two 15-20-minute recesses during the day, as well as about 10 minutes before school if the bus gets there early, plus 20-30 min. PE 4x/week.

25. SportyTeacher

SportyTeacher New Member

Apr 9, 2009

Does anyone know where to find the legal time allowed for recess and lunch in California? We have a 15 minute morning recess, 15 min. to eat lunch, 30 min. to play and a 10 min. afternoon recess. My principal is being a real stickler on instructional time and forbids us to take our students out of the classroom for lunch and recess until the bell rings. I would love to know how much time CA gives us for recess.

26. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Apr 9, 2009

We get.... NONE. Zero. Zip. 20 minutes for lunch and NO recess. And PE only once a week for 40 minutes!!!

And it's SURPRISING six-year-olds are wiggly all day?!?!

27. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 9, 2009

30 minutes lunch, 30 minutes recess...Somedays when they have indoor recess I have them put their coats on when I get back from lunch and we take a brisk walk around the building to 'get air'..;) I've taken them to our outdoor classroom a few times in the past few weeks to write poetry- Lovely!!

28. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Apr 9, 2009

Wow. It's really sad thinking about all these young kids getting so little or even no recess. They need that time away from the classroom to just run around and be kids. They also really need it to learn social skills. It just makes me really sad to hear how many have such short, or no, breaks.

29. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 10, 2009

:confused:
    I can't begin to imagine.

30. amedinaoh

amedinaoh Companion

Apr 10, 2009

North Carolina law requires 30 minutes.