recess problem

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by smile, Sep 7, 2006.

1. smile

smile Companion

Sep 7, 2006

My school is piloting all day kinder. Before, the kinders has never been together (all 4/5 classes appox. 80-100 students) at once. The a.m. and the p.m. classes had different time schedule and we didn't have any problems. Now, we are all together and it is just..... way toooooo many kids. We are trying to find a way to make this recess work.

I need some suggestions:

how does your school handle kinder recess? Do they get to play in an assigned area? or any area? Who watch the kids? the aides, teachers, volunteers, parents?????

3. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Sep 8, 2006

We don't have it! But we are only 1/2 day. Do you have to go all at the same time?

4. maebowler

maebowler Comrade

Sep 8, 2006

At the school I student taught at the kinders went out before all the other grades. There were boundaries where the kids could and could not go, but they could play on all the equipment. The teachers were out with the kinders whereas the rest of the grades paras were out with the kids. Could you break it up into two groups? Group A has lunch first then recess; Group B has recess first then recess.

5. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Sep 9, 2006

We have that many kinders on the playground at once and it isn't a problem. Actually, at lunch recess we have that many K's AND that many 2nd graders at the same time. At afternoon recess, we just have the K's. We have a duty schedule. It is always one teacher and two assistants. (At lunch recess the principal is also out there.)

We have a structured playground. The children are taught the rules to the games and are expected to "be in a game." There is no chasing allowed.

Students choose from:

climbing equipment
    running/walking track
    tetherball
    basketball
    kickball
    racing
    first bounce fly
    softball
    soccer
    jumpropes
    4-square

It is a process teaching them how recess works. With K, they are first only allowed on the climbing equipment. Over the first few weeks, we teach them how to play the other games.

6. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 9, 2006

We go to recess after lunch. Our lunch table schedules are separated by 2 minutes. Recess is pretty much an revolving door with classes coming and going. Everyone gets 20 minutes for recess and we could have at least 7 classes outside at one time (over 140 students). Some teachers pair up and take each others classes out; so 1 teacher will watch 2 classes. We only have 2 small equipment areas and 4 swings but we also have 2 big field area for running and ball games. We alternate on the play areas, so that everyone gets a turn. We have no major issues. Everyone watches everyone's students in their play area and we discipline everyone.

7. Frustrated FL

Frustrated FL Rookie

Sep 9, 2006

Too many kids, no equipment, no help

We have seven Kinder classes, including one ESOL class. There are over 200 kids in Kindergarten, and all are assigned outside for "P.E./recess" at the same time, at the end of the school day. (Ours go from 8:30 to 2:00). We have no assistance--no assistants, paraprofessionals, volunteers--nothing. We have one nice climbing/slide structure in a sandy area. We have no PE equipment designated for our use. This is our rainy season (hurricane season), so it is often raining during our assigned time. Does anyone know any semi-active games that can be played with 29 kids on a 30 space carpet? I think I've exhausted most of the fingerplays. Also, my kids can get real rowdy, really fast. How to have them be active, burn off excess energy, but not get crazy? Any suggestions?

8. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 9, 2006

Sounds like one of the enrishment clsses offered this summer, someone taugh a calss called "Recess 101" that taught the kids who chose to take it fair ways to pick teams and a bunch of different playground games to play with their classmates. :)

9. SarahnVA

SarahnVA Rookie

Sep 9, 2006

You can play games during recess too! While student teaching last year I played duck duck goose, made hop skotch games (with sight words) and played a bee game where they buzzed around, I told them to freeze and they had to find a partner to touch elbows, foreheads, bottoms, etc. (which ever I told them). I haven't tried these games yet with my class this year because its only been the first week so I basically let them have the play ground and taught procedures on not walking up the slide, coming to me when my hand is raised, etc. My school is great because there's a playground for preK-2 and another for 3-5 grades. We are also on the playground with no more than two other classes. My class goes with the peep children (the special ed preK classes). Its cute because they try to help the younger kids and we always have to remind them that they can do things on their own.

Good luck!

10. diro.pams

diro.pams Companion

Sep 9, 2006

We have half day and our own K playground. Each class goes out at their own time and is responsible for their own supervision.

11. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 9, 2006

There are 80 kinders, four K classes, and we all have recess at the same time, but we also have our own kinder area. There are two teachers who come out and watch the kids for every recess. This is actually the first time there have been four kinder classes. There was actually 2 or 3 for a very long time. But it's been working for us.

12. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Sep 9, 2006

Our all day K kids are at recess right after lunch. Since the teachers in the school are in charge of recess, they can set their own times. Some go out at the end of the day, during the morning or not at all(especially in the winter). We are usually out their with 5th graders for a little bit, but then we(K) are alone. We have 3 teachers on the playground, plus a para to help with special needs students.
    Is it possible to stagger everyone's recess time? Or is it a paid position?