Recess options for sick kids

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Backroads, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 12, 2015

So my school seems to be entering that time of the year. Of course, the ideal would be that sick kids stay home to begin with, but I think we all know the odds of that happening all the way across the board.

I had one teacher tell a kid today, when she asked if she could stay inside sick from recess, that she needed to call home if she were really that sick. Kid did.

I had another little boy whom I simply told to bring a book and find a place to rest outside.

What do you do when you have kids of varying sickness do when they ask to stay inside sick?

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Oct 12, 2015

I've never had a sick kid ask to stay in, but I have had injured kids ask to stay in. As long as I am going to stay in my classroom during that time, I let them stay in and organize papers for me. If I have other plans during that time, though, then I send them outside with a book or paper to draw on.

4. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 12, 2015

Fever or stomach issues (vomiting/diarrhea) = sent home immediately.
    Less severe symptoms (coughing/sneezing) = sent to recess.

If they'd prefer staying indoors, they can visit the library or come to the front office and sit with the nurse.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 12, 2015

Parents are told that if their children are too sick to go outside for recess, they are too sick to be at school. That said, the library is open most recesses for students to read or work on homework, the Music Room often has open practices at recesses, and some teachers are willing to let kids stay in.

6. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 12, 2015

I would love it if our school had more options for indoor recess time, but I don't think we have the scheduling or staff. Sometimes the library is an option, but so often it's scheduled for a class.

7. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 12, 2015

There's only ever been one kiddo I've ever seen stay in from recess, and that was from a young lady who suddenly developed a severe phobia of the outdoors and open spaces. If there was so much as a light breeze, she had to stay in. She went to the main office, and if a staff member had a few minutes, they'd pick her up. Otherwise, she sat there and read.

8. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Oct 12, 2015

If they are at school, they go outside. Legally, they have to have the recess minutes as it counts as our required "physical activity" (in addition to PE).

9. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Oct 12, 2015

our rule is "if they're well enough to come to school, they're well enough to participate in all the activities"

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 12, 2015

Ours too.

11. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 16, 2015

If a parent is not on their way to pick up their sick child, that sick child will be going outside for recess.

MrsC likes this.
  12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 18, 2015

This. Except no library option....it's either the librarian's lunch hour too or she has a class.

13. Mr. Nobody

Mr. Nobody Rookie

Nov 8, 2015

Our students who are unable to go outside due to illness typically stay with the nurse, sit in the office and read a book, or they can go to another teacher's class at a different grade level where they can use the computer to play educational games and/or read a book.

14. Bibliophile

Bibliophile Companion

Nov 8, 2015

They go out with a book and a paper on a clipboard with a pencil for drawing. I would love it if we had an inside option but we don't have a librarian or a nurse and if I don't go to the bathroom at recess I'll have problem, during lunch I usually have to leave to get food since I stink at packing lunches.