Recess Inside??

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by scrapaholic, Aug 15, 2007.

1. scrapaholic

scrapaholic Rookie

Aug 15, 2007

Hello everyone! I just had a quick question about having recess inside. The weather here is just way too hot and we start school tomorrow. They want us to keep our students inside for recess for the rest of the week. I am a first year teacher in a 3rd grade room and I was just wanting some ideas on what to let the students do. My dvd/vcr is not up and running yet, so a movie is out. I am open for any suggestions!! THANKS!!!

3. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Aug 15, 2007

I have board games they play with (candyland, battleship, checkers, and chess)

I have white boards the children draw on, as well as paper they can draw on (this is their favorite thing to do)

they read books

they play with flash cards

and they just hang out talk

4. mcangel

mcangel Rookie

Aug 15, 2007

I have large puzzles (50 pieces; when complete they are the size of a poster), UNO cards, white board are always fun.

I also have a poster on the wall that says inside recess and tells what game we are going to play that day. For example:

- Monday is assigned "4 Corners,"
    - Tuesday - 7 up
    - Wed. - Museum (based off the movie; just like red light/green light except there is a security guard that roams the room and tries to catch people moving. If they make loud noises or touch other people, they are automatically out)
    - Thursday - Good Morning Mr. Judge
    - Friday - free choice (we vote on what game to play, or sometimes I teach them new ones).

If they don't want to join whole class, they do all of the activities that Born2Teach84 suggested as well.

5. cmw

cmw Groupie

Aug 15, 2007

board games, card games, play doh, color by number activities, writing on chalkboards or white boards, coloring book pages, puzzles, hand clapping games, computer games, magnetic letters & numbers, put on kid cds that they can sing to
    you may even get some helpers to clean the desks or chalkboard or organize your library.

6. prettyinpink

prettyinpink Rookie

Aug 15, 2007

we usually play 7-up or simon says!

7. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Aug 15, 2007

You must me near me! We start tomorrow as well and are facing the same issues. I'm thinking a game of Simon Says!

8. cmw

cmw Groupie

Aug 15, 2007

whole class activities...
    I Spy
    Hangman
    Hot Potato
    Musical Chairs

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2007

We aren't expected to stay with our classes during an indoor recess; the teachers who are on supervision wander the halls and check in on all of the classes. In my room the students can play board games, card games, draw, read, chat, draw on individual white boards (never the big board), etc. The expectations are that they are quiet and sitting down.

10. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2007

I left paper, games. The kids really liked the word game "bang"! When I was in 3rd grade I LOVED Othello. It was the first time we were introduced to it & we had to have a sign up sheet for it!!! What about Legos? Some kids love to build with blocks. I know a third/2nd grade teacher gave me a bop it game when she retire, a large carpet for big checkers.

11. childcare teach

childcare teach Comrade

Aug 16, 2007

when i worked i frist grade we did the same as above we play moive . that goes with the unit we are doing. we played games alot .also computers.

12. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 16, 2007

Our indoor recess takes place in the gym.

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2007

I'm from North Dakota, so we were often held inside for recess when the weather was exceptionally frigid.

If we didn't run around the gym, we did a sort of structured free time in the classroom. We could play board games or cards, color, chitchat with friends, write on the board (my favorite activity and probably what led me to teaching!), or any other indoor activity.

14. 3littlemonkeys

3littlemonkeys Comrade

Aug 18, 2007

I've been known to let the kids play "monkey in the middle" with a beach ball, or to play table tennis with a crumpled ball of paper...but that only works if you have kids that don't get out of control. Maybe not such a good first week activity, lol. Moving desks out of the way and playing Twister is another option. I like Four Corners, too. I like to have them moving...it is chaos by afternoon if they don't get to move around enough!

15. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Aug 18, 2007

I have Legos, Magnetix, Lincoln Logs, cars, plastic and rubber animals and insects, Dominos, Candy Land, Chutes and Ladders, Connect Four, card matching game, four different card games, United States puzzle, Jenga, and paper to draw on.

16. lwteacher

lwteacher Rookie

Aug 18, 2007

We do either board games or a class game like Heads Up 7-up or Silent Ball. Who's Missing and Spelling Sparkle are also good class games too.
    Silent ball is a good one because, ah, it is SILENT!! You have them sit on their desks and there are two 'referees' who don't actively play. Kids throw the ball underhand to other kids. Kids who talk or drop the ball are 'out'. Referees decide on close calls or if a throw is unfair. Last one up wins.
    Spelling sparkle is where you have the kids stand in a circle. You pick a spelling word and kids spell the word letter by letter. If they get a letter wrong, they sit down. After the last letter, the next person says sparkle and they sit down. People who 'help' by blurting out letters sit down. Kids really like this and they have to pay attention, because if it is their turn and they don't know where we are in the word or they don't know what word we are doing, they sit down. Last one up has to spell an entire word correctly.
    Who's missing is where there is one kid that is 'it'. They go outside the class while all the kids in the class move all around, and you hide one kid (in a closet or under the teacher's desk maybe) The kid from outside comes in and tries to guess who is missing. If they guess right (say give them one minute) then they get to be it again. If not, the person who was hidden gets to be it.

17. Mommy2wad

Mommy2wad Rookie

Aug 18, 2007

My students love to work on puzzles, draw, write letters to each other, write on the white board, and play "school" with one of them being the teacher. I also have a few games like Connect Four, magnetics, and finger puppets. Mostly they just like having the freedom to explore the room.

18. MsTeacher98

MsTeacher98 Companion

Aug 19, 2007

What is Good Morning, Judge? That sounds fun!

19. BarnyardCats

BarnyardCats Rookie

Aug 19, 2007

Another

I do the above and there's another one the kids like. One student is "it" and stands outside the door for a moment. Another student "hides" an object somewhere in the room. You must go over appropriate places to hide first! Then, let the other student in and when they are close, the other students clap loudly. If the student is not close, they are silent. Once the student gets closer, the others clap silently at first, then louder and louder as they get closer and closer. It's like "hot" and "cold" I guess! :p

20. mcangel

mcangel Rookie

Aug 20, 2007

Good Morning Mr. Judge is simple, and the kids love it (it's pretty funny to watch too). 1 child is selected as the "judge," sits in a chair at the front of the room that faces the board, and covers their eyes. Then the teacher points to a child at random who will come up behind the Judge and say, "Good Morning, Mr. Judge" in a disguised voice and then goes back to their seat (I usually draw popsicle sticks with their names on them and then show it to them so that it's random, but you don't have to use them). This is so that the Judge does not hear or see who will come up. Once the mystery child has been seated, the judge will turn around and try to guess whose voice it was. The judge gets two guesses. If they are correct, they continue serving as judge. If they aren't correct after two guesses, the mystery person reveals his/herself and then becomes judge.

The students enjoy putting on a poker face and changing their voice. This game is very low maintenance, no equipment necessary, and very quiet. :up:

21. wyzegal

wyzegal Rookie

Aug 21, 2007

I found it quite amusing but my former classes have all loved silent ball the best! =)