Recertification Courses

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Myrisophilist, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Nov 25, 2014

Which universities and colleges are the best for taking online recertification courses?

Long story short, a family member will be renewing his certification (HS social studies) and needs 6 graduate credits. Due to physical limitations, he has a specific wishlist:
    1. online
    2. pass/fail (not a graded course)
    3. no paper assignments (as in being assigned to write a paper)

I'm familiar (in name only) with Western Governor's University as a school that is known for online teaching classes. Can anyone suggest another place to look? Thanks!

3. eternalsaudade

eternalsaudade Companion

Nov 26, 2014

Are there any other guidelines or do the classes just need to be education-related?

To be honest, I highly doubt he is going to find a graduate course that has no essay requirements. :sorry:

VESI courses may be a good option. There are essay requirements for graduate courses but they are self-paced so he would have more time to fulfill the requirements. If you go to http://www.virtualeduc.com/courses.php, they have a list of courses and a map you can look at to find a university that offers them. Make sure the university offers graduate credit for the course as some only offer undergraduate.

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Nov 26, 2014

Your family member wants to take an online class with no grades and no writing expectations?

I wish you the best of luck for that, but I wouldn't hold out much hope if I were you.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 26, 2014

For English teachers, NCTE offers online professional development that can be used for CE credits. No university, no grades. There might be something for Social Studies as well, assuming there is a similar organization (not my area of expertise).

6. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Nov 27, 2014

Thanks for your replies. I realize that the list is unlikely, which is why I called it a wishlist.

The courses have to be related to education, but not in a specific discipline. eternalsaudade, VESI looks like a good start. Thanks!

catnfiddle, I will look into a social studies association that might offer courses. I think NSTA (for science teachers) offers online PD for CEUs, so it's a good possibility. Thanks!