Recently hired- what is on your shopping list?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by nyteach89, Aug 7, 2014.

1. nyteach89

nyteach89 Companion

Aug 7, 2014

I will be a new teacher this year and have no idea what to buy. For those of you recently hired- what is on your shopping list?

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2014

Elementary or secondary? If elementary, I'd try to find cheap books.

Other wise, I wouldn't buy a thing until you see your classroom and what was left in it. Teachers tend to give away things they no longer use as well.

Also ask if you have a budget and what supplies the school provides for you.

4. nyteach89

nyteach89 Companion

Aug 7, 2014

Elementary! I saw my classroom on Monday and there wasn't really anything in there except a smart board and number line across the wall.

5. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2014

PENCILS!!!!!

Buy as many as you can, by the bucket full! Don't have the daily fight over pencils, it is a time waster and causes you to go bald from pulling out your hair. Best to just have some on hand to give out (under what conditions is up to you) so you don't have the constant battle.

Oh, and an electric pencil sharpener with a warranty (in case it breaks) so those pencils are always sharp

6. My3kloves

My3kloves Rookie

Aug 7, 2014

I'm a new teacher and here is some things I bought...mostly organizational stuff:

Post it easel Sticky flip chart paper
    Sharpies for flip chart paper (they don't bleed thru)
    Post it notes
    Tin pails
    Caddy containers for tables
    Colored file folders
    Colored hanging file folders
    Index box
    Colored index cards
    Colored index card tabs
    3 hole punch
    Stapler and staples
    Spiral notebooks/folders/composite books
    Pencils/crayons/markers/glue/rulers
    Large colored storage bins
    Teacher rewards kit
    Expo dry erase markers
    Labels
    Colored Boxes/baskets for organizing

7. nyteach89

nyteach89 Companion

Aug 7, 2014

Good to know! I should go to target and stock up!!

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2014

A totally different vein, but:

Cardigans
    Dress pants in neutrals
    A few skirts
    Knit tops in variety of colors to mix with neutral bottoms
    Some great shoes
    A teacher bag

9. nyteach89

nyteach89 Companion

Aug 7, 2014

Wow this is helpful! I have a stapler, high heel tape dispenser, paper trays, random stickers/fun pencils, ad post its. Need to find colored caddies!

10. mellow

mellow Rookie

Aug 7, 2014

Ask your school what they supply first. My school has a supply room, and they also have a stipend for new teachers.

11. My3kloves

My3kloves Rookie

Aug 7, 2014

I need to get a tape dispenser. I also am looking for a big teacher bag to travel to and from work with. I got a bag for my laptop.

Pinterest has awesome ideas! I searched all day on that and ordered my stuff from amazon. So easy and quick. :cool:

12. My3kloves

My3kloves Rookie

Aug 7, 2014

Yes! I have gone clothes shopping too! I bought black flats but still need brown flats. I need a new pair of jeans for Friday's. :p

13. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Aug 7, 2014

I haven't even seen my classroom yet…and I feel that I shouldn't do anything until I see it. But I got some pencils, crayons, some boxes, and some classroom bulletin board stuff from the Dollar Tree store (still need more stuff like borders.) And who knows if I buy a ton of stuff and I didn't have to…but I know I have to finish my shopping this month.

And I need a new teacher bag. My current one is crappy…and a highlighter ink leaked into my bag, hand turns yellow each time I dipped my hand in it. It was a cheap freebee anyway.

14. kaeco510

kaeco510 Companion

Aug 7, 2014

Definitely check with your school before you buy anything!!!!! Many schools will either give you a budget or give you supplies :)

Have fun shopping!

15. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Aug 8, 2014

Thanks. I don't think I'm seeing it until the last week before school starts! Lucky me!

16. chitown

chitown Companion

Aug 8, 2014

I haven't seen my classroom yet, either. I'm an inclusion teacher, so I won't be doing this alone, but I don't know if I'm working with a new teacher or an established one, if I'll have a space of my own, etc. I was an LTS last year so I picked some stuff up here and there--a flat staple remover, tons of stickers, reward items like pencils and erasers, and books for my classroom library. My recent purchases have been professional materials and reference guides, games and manipulatives, some borders and posters, and now on to shoes and clothes! Remember, you're still in prime garage sale time, so you can buy things like books for your classroom library at garage sales. And I definitely second the electric pencil sharpener idea. The first time I sharpened pencils for my class last year, I decided it was a necessity. It's a huge time saver if you have a community pencil bin, and you can even assign pencil sharpening as a job, the kids love the electric sharpeners! Good luck to you!

17. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Aug 8, 2014

My shopping list included just about everything! I thought I had gathered a fair collection these last couple of years. It sure looked like a lot when viewed from the doorway of my spare bedroom/home office. But once it was moved into my new room it turned out to be less than a drop in the bucket.

So I have been steadily shopping for a couple of weeks now. I found Crayola crayons on sale for 50 cents per 24 pack, and I bought 30 packs. I purchased pocket charts and a classroom jobs kit.

My former mentor teacher gave me so much stuff this past Tuesday that I was lucky I didn't get pulled over for obstructed vision, my car was so packed (and it is a fairly big Subaru Outback).

I still need to go clothes shopping, which I am not looking forward to doing. But my room is coming together nicely.
    Sheilah