Recent Purchases?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Apr 3, 2022

From what I can tell, Donny has barely been heard from in about 40 years over here, and Marie is only on weight loss commercials. I could be wrong as I don’t watch much TV, though.

2. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Apr 4, 2022

He is still big over here. Touring regularly. I took the missus to a Donny and Marie concert just before we locked down for Covid. He comes over during the Winter to star in Panto.

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Apr 5, 2022

My most exciting purchase recently was a wedding dress for my youngest daughter who is getting married in September.

Kerrberr and blazer like this.
  4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 5, 2022

My friend was talking about seeing him somewhere a few years ago. I thought he was still entertaining.

5. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Apr 6, 2022

T shirts arrived today. My wife is very pleased with hers and we shall take the other to her best friend at the weekend.

6. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Apr 6, 2022

A coiple of weeks ago my elder grand daughter (13) asked if I had a record player. So we spent a pleasant hour spinning some vinyl while I explained about 45s and 33 1/3. A and B sides, albums and singles. She was so impressed that she decided she wants a record player and to start her own vinyl collection (she is a bit of a rock chick and likes ACDC, Nirvana, System of a Down, Metallica and the Rolling Stones). Anyway, today I was in a charity thrift shop looking to get a second hand wheelchair for my Mother in Law who is going into hospital tomorrow for an operation that may leave her immobile for a while. Anyway, looking round I spotted a record deck on the shelf. Still in it's original box and packaging, in fact it had never been unpacked £15 ($20) a bargain. So home it came, unpacked and Queen playing I videoed it and sent her the vid with a message to start collecting! She is over the Moon. She already has her eye on a few of my records to start her off.

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 6, 2022

I just got my first IPad!! I mainly wanted it for ebooks and my Kindle was on its last leg so I splurged!

Ima Teacher and Missy like this.
  8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 7, 2022

You’re going to love it! I got one for myself after I enjoyed working with the one I had at work. I’m on my second one, and I just got an iPad Pro to use with my crafting.

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 7, 2022

I'm liking the bigger screen. I also started using it for streaming like Netflix and sometimes Youtube when I'm looking at recipes for dinner.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 8, 2022

Nothing big in a long time, so...
    - vitamins
    - underwear

Soon, I would like to get...
    - red light therapy device
    - juicer - good that doesn't break the bank

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 18, 2022

That reminds me. I have a gift certificate to Victoria's Secret so I can get some underwear!

12. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Apr 18, 2022

Further to my earlier post on Saturday I picked up Greenday, Guns n Roses and Coldplay CDs from a local charity store all £1 each. Grand daughter was thrilled!

13. happymangle

happymangle Rookie

Apr 18, 2022

I ordered a lot of light bulbs recently. Very boring purchase.
    Happy i actually found Legrand phone number here and could ask them some questions about different types of light bulbs etc. In the past i always purchased the wrong ones.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2022 at 3:51 AM
  14. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Apr 19, 2022

Illuminating!:D

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 19, 2022

:rofl:

16. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Apr 24, 2022

Yesterday, another thrift shop trawl in a nearby town and found a Nickelback CD to add to grand daughter's collection.

17. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 24, 2022

I bought lots of delicious, but terribly unhealthy festival food this weekend. Blooming onion, potato spirals with cheese sauce, funnel cake, snow cone, fudge, pork rinds.

my heartburn and blood sugar are terrible

18. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

May 1, 2022

Need a pop stars themed costume for an event soon. Found a long black wig in a local charity shop. My wife has made a 6' snake from a roll of green curtain material. Just need some black face paint and voila, Alice Cooper! The missus is contemplating going as Adam Ant! We had considered going as Sonny and Cher but as I am taller I would have to be Cher (The wig would still be OK though)!

Guitart likes this.
  19. Paris23

Paris23 Rookie

Jun 27, 2022

If you go as Alice Cooper, carry a golf club as a side prop. Inside baseball stuff.

My next purchase is going to be a turntable. My old one is about shot and I have lots of records that need playing, especially on Saturday mornings.

20. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2022

The outfit went down well. I wouldn't have got the golf club past security. The snake and I did a bit of a puppet act on the jumbotron in one break in play.

21. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2022

We just bought floor seats to see Judas Priest, tickets for Night Ranger, and tickets for Def Leppard, Motley Crue, Poison, and Joan Jett. We are in the process of booking an Alaskan cruise and finishing paying for our New York trip. Our big purchase is a new driveway, which is way overdue. Asphalt is crazy expensive.

Guitart likes this.
  22. Kerrberr

Kerrberr Rookie

Jul 13, 2022

Oh, great purchase! I can only imagine how exciting it is :) By the way, did you buy the dress online or at the wedding store? My sister is in search right now. She has already found a really nice dress at the princessly online store, and the price is good, but it would be great to have more variants.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2022
  23. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 13, 2022

We went to a bridal shop. In my state there is a small town that is everything bridal, with at least ten shops. My daughter did order two online (which were returnable!), but they were complete duds.

24. Guitart

Guitart Comrade

Jul 13, 2022

One of these years, you need to book yourself on a Monsters of Rock Cruise. I have heard it advertised on Eddie Trunk's Sirius show. A HUGE lineup of old school rockers like you mentioned and you have the opportunity to hang out with them on the ship. Tickets are around $2000 a person. Too much for my teacher income.
    https://monstersofrockcruise.com/

Ima Teacher likes this.
  25. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 14, 2022

I wanted to order a dress online but was afraid to since I like trying things on and getting someone to be there to measure me, etc. I was so upset because my dream dress was only sold in one shop in another state or I'd have to order it. I ended up finding a similar dress in a store and my seamstress altered it to look like the dress I wanted!!!

Missy likes this.
  26. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 15, 2022

Last thing was a pair of bikes in spring 2021. Nothing big since...just necessities.
    I don't need any more clothes really & definitely no bags, sunglasses, watches. Maybe a nice pair of comfy sandals or two in black, grey, & maybe a fun color like blue or purple.

I never thought I'd do this, but I've cut way down on going to malls to shop. :( They've kind of lost their luster to me. I don't really need anything anymore from them.

27. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Sep 15, 2022

About a month and a half ago now I bought a new to me car. We traded my 2014 Chevy Traverse in for a 2018 Honda Pilot. So far we really like it.

28. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 15, 2022

My husband has a Pilot. I drive it sometimes and it's not bad.

29. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 16, 2022

I looked at a Pilot when I was car shopping. I ended up getting a Toyota Highlander, but the Pilot was really nice as well.

30. Guitart

Guitart Comrade

Sep 16, 2022

I was forced to retire my Pilot to utility life. Could not afford the gas to commute. A month ago I had to buy a more fuel efficient used car for work. I stumbled onto a newer Ford Escape. It is 4 cyl and loaded with so many features. The guy who sold it to me practically gave it away. He has just inherited two cars and had to thin his herd. I lucked out.

31. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 30, 2022

Today I got a new tattoo. It was from one of my former students. He opened a shop in town.

catnfiddle likes this.
  32. Alex8991001

Alex8991001 New Member

Sep 30, 2022

I just bought a my new iPhone 14 my last one was iPhone 8, the camera is absolutely wow!

33. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Nov 5, 2022

Picked up my new car 2 weeks ago. Kia Stonic. Ordered it in November 2021! Went for the top model so it comes with all the bells and whistles. Temperature was a bit low yesterday so tried out the heated seat and steering wheel..Toasty! It is a hybrid but comes with a 'sport'mode. I gave that a try and scared myself to death. Pushing the button turns it into a beast!

34. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 5, 2022

It’s crazy how long it takes to get vehicles these days. We had to put a down payment on my husband’s truck without even seeing it. At the time, they wouldn’t even take orders due to the time involved. You had to get on the list for ones arriving at dealerships.

35. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Nov 7, 2022

I almost had to get a new car and was dreading it. My neighbor's tree fell on my car and I thought it was done for but we were able to get it fixed.

36. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Nov 8, 2022

Even getting newer used vehicles is a challenge!!! Our salesman was looking for a vehicle for us for a year before he found something that met our needs (all I was asking for was a crossover with minimum 7 passenger and lower miles than my old vehicle; I had a traverse and loved it, but since we don't have a spare vehicle we wanted to replace it before it started to have issues).

37. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Nov 8, 2022

We've had two honda accords survive trees coming down on them without being totaled- one was even due to a tornado.
    Getting a replacement vehicle last summer was a pain. It wasn't planned, but a 17yo who wasn't paying attention on a highway on-ramp knocked half the back end off of a 4yo mazda3, so that was the end of that. The girl's insurance would only cover the rental for 2 weeks after the car was assessed as a loss, so it was a rush job to secure financing and work things out with insurance. Had to go all the way to Toledo to get the car we wanted, not even in the color we wanted.

38. happymangle

happymangle Rookie

Nov 9, 2022

I started to order Christmas presents for my family. As always, it is a mission!
    As for myself personally, i need only one thing at the moment and that thing i can only find in a hearing aid store. My old hearing aids are super old now and it is time to get something more modern.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2022 at 3:54 AM
  39. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Nov 9, 2022

That's a good idea. I need to start soon. I love how nowadays I can take the time to look online and order special things and not have to rush around the mall trying to find the right gifts.

40. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Nov 9, 2022

I finally got a Sam's Club membership! We got a coupon from work for a discounted one year membership which also included a gift card so I had to grab it. Even if I only keep it for a year I think I'll be saving a lot of money because a few things that I am buying are way cheaper there than at the grocery stores.