Recent Purchases?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 18, 2012

First purchases for my new apt: :)

- Air Innovations 14" Swirl Cool 2-in-1 Fan w/ Remote in Red

- 85-piece Huggable Hangers Set in Hot Pink

- Bon Appétit 1800-Watt Dual-Zone Triple-Basket Immersion Fryer

Next, I'm getting:

- Brenton Studio Zentra Collection Computer Desk

2. bison

bison Habitué

May 18, 2012

Ms. I, where did you get the huge huggable hangers set? I love those and always need more.

Good luck with that fryer. My cousin got one and never used it. She gave it to my mom, who never uses it. It keeps getting passed around the family because it's too much of a pain to clean and manage the oil. Remember that it does NOT go down your drain!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 18, 2012

Julia has outgrown all her shorts to the point where they're all Daisy Dukes...obviously she's NOT wearing them anywhere but to bed.

So Wednesday night we hit the mall for a while. She's too tiny for ANYTHING in Aeropostale-- even the size 1/2's. She's far too sophisticated (at 12) to shop in a store like Justice or The Children's Place (even though we had Kira along for cover). So we ended up in Target of course. She got 4 pair of shorts, 3 tops and 2 tank tops. Kira got a top and 2 bathing suits... all for $129.

One of these days I'll have to take Julia bathing suit shopping, but she's at a point where I want her to have a better quality suit. So maybe tomorrow we'll hit Kohls.

4. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 19, 2012

Went shopping with a girlfriend last weekend and updated my summer wardrobe:

1. Skirt from Mexx
    2. 2 tops
    3. Bag to go with new skirt
    3. Black dressy sandals
    4. Cardigan
    5. T-shirt

We do this about once a season, so we can really shop when we do!

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 19, 2012

I've had a really good few days with thrift store items, surprisingly. My mom always could find treasures within the junk, me . . . not so much.

A couple of weeks ago the local thrift store expanded and started having more stuff. They had a beautiful Ethan Allen hutch for $200. Retail would have been between $1200-1400. I offered $150 since I'd have to pay to have it hauled to my house. I cleaned it up, and it houses my grandmother's china that her brother brought back to her from Japan when he returned from WWII. I've had it in storage since I got it in the mid 1990's.

Yesterday I needed to kill about 30 minutes before a store opened in the next town, so Mom wanted to go to Goodwill. I found a 6.5 quart heavy cooking pot, which is exactly what I've been needing. Then I found a pair of heels almost identical to these, and they were brand new with tags. Then I found this Kathy Van Zeeland purse in gold. As I was walking to the register to check out, I found a brand new black dressy tank. I got the whole haul for less than $15.

6. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 19, 2012

Thanks for the reminder - I have a box that I need to take to the thrift store. I always like looking around while I'm there... never know what you are going to find!

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 19, 2012

bison, I ordered the hangers off HSN. I hope I don't regret buying that fryer. I never had one all this time, but I've always kind of wanted one. Hopefully, knowing how much it takes to clean will discourage me from cooking w/ it too much & eating all that fried food!

Well, I ordered that desk this morning! Now, onto getting a bed & sofa, which will be my main purchases!

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 19, 2012

I was the same way about fryers. I do eat a lot of fried foods. (It must be the southern girl in me.) I thought the fryer would be nice to have and it would keep me from wasting so much oil since it could be stored in the fryer. It used it a lot for about a year, and then little by little I used it less. It was a PITA to clean . . . filters, gaskets, etc. I looked at it the other day and decided it was time for it to head to Goodwill. My neighbor saw it sitting in my driveway with all my other stuff I was taking there, and he asked if he could have it. He's thrilled with it and told me he's used it several times already. Glad he's enjoying it.

I've always wondered about those hangers. I have some shirts that will not stay on hangers, and I currently clip them to wire hangers with clothespins, but they are bulky and in the way. Do they really work well?

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 19, 2012

Well, I don't plan on using that fryer any more than maybe once every 2-3 mos, so that's alright.

Regarding the Huggable Hangers, I'll let you know! I've always wanted those too & since I'm moving, this is a good opportunity to get them. Also because I won't have much closet space & need to hang 2-3 articles of clothing on each one of those too like I do now.

10. bison

bison Habitué

May 19, 2012

Ima, the huggable hangers work really well! Even little tank tops won't slip off. I have a whole bunch of them, but I haven't seen such a large set before so not all of my stuff is on them. I'd like to gradually switch everything over. I just buy them whenever I see them on sale. :p

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 21, 2012

Over the weekend, I got some dinnerware: 3 different designs of plates & bowls from Crate & Barrel and Ross. That's all I need. This is fun! :D

I also browsed Pier 1 & HomeGoods.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 21, 2012

I got Julia and Brian bathing suits yesterday-- her 2, him 1.

13. Missy

Missy Aficionado

May 21, 2012

Spent a small bundle at the nursery this week-end. We are landscaping around the gazebo and walkway.

14. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

May 21, 2012

I'm having to buy things to start up my business. The website template and host was purchased. Photoshop is up next. :eek: There's a huge discount for teachers. Thank goodness or I would have to save up for 2 months to comfortably afford the regular price.

15. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

May 21, 2012

I just bout an iHome for my ipod--after 16 years it was definitely time for a new clock :)

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 22, 2012

I don't think I knew this-- what kind of business?

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 22, 2012

I'm going to get this Natuzzi Italian Leather loveseat & matching ottoman in the brightest red they have:

http://www.vikinghome.com/Natuzzi-B568-Sofa.aspx

This is a picture of the sofa & it doesn't do it justice. I saw it on the showroom floor of Mathis Bros. store in a bright red leather & it was GORGEOUS! :D

18. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

May 22, 2012

We've been spending way too much this month... but it's OK, we don't usually buy things. :) Some recent purchases-
    -A square hole punch (looking to do something with my wedding notes)
    -A skirt from Macy's on sale for 20 dollars - It's a cream and black flower pattern
    -Vera Bradley swag (thanks for the heads-up from this forum!)

And I still need a summer wardrobe... :(

19. janlee

janlee Devotee

May 25, 2012

It's my church's annual rummage sale in a month and my circle group is in charge of clothing, shoes, purses, and accessories. While going through the donated bags today I found the following: brand new Dooney and Burke hobo bag, an almost new Tignanello bag, Ann Klein knee length coat,( I am a coat fanatic) J Jill hoodie, 2 Liz Clairborne sweaters, and a few tees and shorts to wear around the house for the summer. All of it cost me $5.00 (what fits in a paper grocery bag is $5.00) This is one of the benefits of setting up. Can't wait to get back next week.

20. sue35

sue35 Habitué

May 25, 2012

Recently I have bought a ton of bug spray with DEET in it for my upcoming trip to Africa. I can't receive the Yellow Fever vaccine so I want to be extra careful with bugs. I also have to buy khaki/green color travel clothes but travel clothes are so expensive! I hate spending money on stuff I will most likely never wear after this trip.

Btw, on my computer it says that this thread has been viewed over 11 million times. Can that be possible or am I nuts?

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 25, 2012

Oh I am so wanting to come to the sale! Pm me!:)

22. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

May 26, 2012

I...kind of really want a fryer now. Oh oh and a gas grill! But mainly a fryer xD

23. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 26, 2012

I bought a maxi dress on Thursday. It's really cute, but it just doesn't look much like me. I had two of my friends with me that day, and they both liked it.

It's supposed to be hot tomorrow, so I may wear it to church in the morning.

24. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 26, 2012

I bought a good three hole punch. I am getting things organized. Wish I had bought one sooner.

25. Missy

Missy Aficionado

May 27, 2012

I bought a Nook for my daughter yesterday! She is way out in the wilds of NW Wisconsin this summer, with no library, bookstore or friends around, while she does field work research for her grad program. She is a huge reader and has some free time so I know she will get a lot of use out of it and it may keep her from going crazy.

26. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 27, 2012

27. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 29, 2012

I just bought a Roku box and new wireless modem. I get $140 back in rebates on the pair. My modem died when I doubled my internet speed over the weekend. I guess it couldn't handle the stress. ;)

28. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 29, 2012

I ordered a Cuisenart indoor countertop grill this morning. I don't have an outside grill, so I thought this might do for now. I hope it works better than a regular grill pan.

29. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 30, 2012

My mom took me shopping today. She got me $500 worth of household items for my new apt from Bed, Bath & Beyond, Target, & HomeGoods. I love my parents! :D

30. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 30, 2012

TJ Maxx fly by today...picked up: a pair of white Jones NY shorts, a pair of coral red Tommy Hilfiger shorts (both pair are long enough and dressy enough to wear to school with great tops and wedges).. A Ralph Lauren Polo tee...a white tee and blush colored tee. I had a gift card I used toward my purchases so only ended up spending $49.:D

Plus I bought two great pair of wedge sandals from the Shoedazzle sale this weekend. Just got the email that they've shipped!

31. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 30, 2012

Picked up a few clothes today:
    - black straight-leg capris
    - tan pants with a roll up cuff
    - white cap sleeve fly-away cardigan
    - black short sleeve tee (a wardrobe staple)
    - chartreuse short sleeve tee

If all goes well, the capris and pants will be too big in a month, but I need something to get me through June at school.

I paid just over $100, but got $50 back in gift cards good for the last week in August and the first week in September.

32. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 30, 2012

Today I took my RealWomen dollars and my Lane Bryant coupon and bought three shirts, one skirt, two bras, and two pairs of capris.

I'm now in the smallest size they sell there. I'm going to miss that store when I finish my weight loss journey. I always have loved their bras, jewelry, and shoes. I guess I'll still get to go there. I still had my big boobs, fat neck, and wide feet when I was thin.

33. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

May 31, 2012

Went out with my girlfriend last weekend. I got a couple cute tank tops and a swimsuit that actually fits! I can't tell you how long I've been looking for one that fits and I feel good in!

34. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

May 31, 2012

I bought a round trip ticket to Germany in July! :D:D

35. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 31, 2012

I bought a new television today, and on the way home I stopped at a flea market and found a darling Queen Anne side table for $15. I also found a Gucci purse for $10. Score!

36. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 31, 2012

Congrats!!

How fun!!

I bought two Vera Bradley bags: one for my sister and one for myself. I also bought a couple of tops, a pair of pants, some shorts (workout and dress), some workout tops, and a bathing suit.

37. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 31, 2012

We bought a new mattress today. Should be delivered tomorrow. I am thinking new sheets will be on the short list soon.

38. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 1, 2012

runs, I bought a new mattress too...amongst lots of other things!

39. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 1, 2012

It was delivered this morning. I have been so busy I haven't had time for even a cat nap. I'll have to wait until I get home from work tonight to try it out. And I was right about the sheets. They don't fit.

What else did you buy, Ms. I?

40. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 1, 2012

runs, I got lots of stuff so far: :D

This in a loveseat & matching ottoman. The pic doesn't do it justice, it's a much prettier red:
    http://www.mathisbrothers.com/living-room-furniture/sofas/natuzzi-red-leather-sofa/nat-b568/064-2550

Colorful rug:
    http://www.selectrugs.com/contemporary-rugs/momeni-rugs/new-wave-nw_49.aspx

High gloss red shelving unit:
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80071319/#/70201811

Black & white 8-pc comforter set:
    http://www.overstock.com/Bedding-Ba...Comforter-Set/6294845/product.html?CID=208011

Decorative bowl woven by the Rwandan women. It also helps to support them:
    http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...2?ID=364259&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results

Bon Appetit 1800-watt triple basket deep fryer
    Red Swirl Cool 2-in-1 Fan with Remote control
    Huggable Hangers 85pc Set in hot pink
    Sleek, modern glass desk
    Blue office chair
    Boston Terrier ceramic tile coasters
    Boston Terrier pillow
    Metallic purple toaster
    Non-stick skillet & pot w/ glass lids
    Soft toilet seat
    Lots of Kitchen & bathroom accessories
    Double rod closet bar to maximze closet space
    2 Table Mate TV snack trays
    Dinnerware from Crate & Barrel, IKEA, & Ross
    Flatware
    Mattress
    Pet bed
    Dog bathroom
    2 throws

I got the utilities hooked up, renter's insurance, & the guy's coming to install the internet, cable, & phone. Also, hired movers. There's lots of bags & boxes to move. And can't wait to grocery shop for the 1st time & fill my kitchen w/ goodies!

After being in there a bit, I'll get:

Floor & table lamps
    Side table or two
    Occasional chair for bedroom
    Sofa pillows
    Laundry organization/storage items
    Pouf
    Decorative mirror
    Wall clock
    Pretty exterior & interior door mat