Recent out of state teachers hired by Florida district.

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by panjteacher, Jul 19, 2013.

1. panjteacher

panjteacher Rookie

Jul 19, 2013

Just wondering if they were cool hiring you with reciprocal agreement state certs? Did you have to wait until all the state paperwork came through?
    On a personal note...which counties and districts? Any out of state long distance or Skype interviews and tips on how to handle them?

3. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2013

Most districts won't look at you until you have a Statement of Eligibility from the DOE. You definitely want to get that ball rolling, because the DOE is severely backed up processing new certifications requests this time of year. It can take up to six weeks for the SoE to be issued.

FL certifications are only issued after you are hired.

FL does have reciprocity with most states and certification areas. If you're certified in PA and NJ, you should be fine, since we have a huge influx of teachers from those two states.

Districts - look at where you would like to live. FL is a huge state. Do you want to be inland? Near the ocean? Near the Gulf? In the Keys? Obviously, the bigger the district, the better the chance of getting hired (Palm Beach, Orange, Miami-Dade, Broward, etc).

Phone interviews are fine. August 1st starts a hiring frenzy, since teachers report back in 2-3 weeks. Also, in FL, most Ps won't look at your résumé unless you've already applied with the district.

4. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2013

I was hired no problem with an Ohio licensure. My Florida licensure came through very quickly. The district was okay with it.

I didn't interview via Skype though. I interviewed in person. Also, some teachers go back August 1. I also heard July 29.
    There will also be a big hiring in October, after FTE week.

Good luck!

5. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Companion

Jul 20, 2013

I'm from PA but had a statement of eligibility in hand. The principal did ask where I was in getting my Florida certification. I did a phone interview and got the job. New teacher orientation starts August 5.

6. panjteacher

panjteacher Rookie

Jul 20, 2013

I am so happy you guys had luck. My Florida docs were completed this week. Waiting on the eligibility info but they told me I should be fine.
    I have docs and apps on with 2 districts. Applied to another and those docs go in when I get their official reference forms back from my principal,etc, hopefully this week.

Where did you get hired?

7. panjteacher

panjteacher Rookie

Jul 29, 2013

Okay, I got my first Skype interview this week, I believe. For those of you who have tried to impress online before with skype, should I prep video to play to them, or some sort of lesson plan? I have some lesson video from my student teaching and some photos, can these be displayed to the interviewer without a ton of downtime or boring them to death?
    I assume wear interview wear (suit and tie), shave ahead of time and no gratuitous nose picking. :lol:

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2013

I'm not sure you will have enough time to show them a video and I would be afraid the technology would break down. I think you need to try to impress them as you in real time.

I haven't heard of anyone doing this, but could you overnight the school with pertinent lesson plans or documents that you would like them to look at while they are interviewing?

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2013

Make sure your Skype area is neat. Nothing too busy on walls or not in an echo-ey area.

10. CreativeTeachR

CreativeTeachR Companion

Jul 30, 2013

Just got certified in fl and have been applying using my fathers address who lives in fl... No luck though :|:unsure:

11. shoebottom

shoebottom Companion

Jul 30, 2013

I would suggest putting a white sheet on the wall behind where you are going to be sitting. Just make sure it is clean :)