Received job offer, unsure what to do.

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by mathteacher2, Jun 1, 2013.

1. mathteacher2

mathteacher2 Rookie

Jun 1, 2013

This morning I was awoken by a job offer for a district where I just interviewed on Thursday. I am happy to have an offer, but unsure of what I should do. Let me give a little background.

I am finishing up my third year of teaching, but I did not get offered tenure , hence the job search. Despite this, I have great references from my Principal and he has even put in a few calls to (hopefully) help me get some interviews. The job I was offered is in an urban district. They struggle with language barriers and very low test scores. The program I would be teaching is new, called Teach to One math. It is 120 students in a big open space rotating round to different modules based on their level of learning, determined by a computer algorithm.

I am nervous about this program and how new it is. I am unsure about the stress of having only 30% of my students passing the standardized tests. I could be making more in other districts. I'm worried about declining the offer and not finding a job elsewhere. I'm also worried about accepting and missing out on something better.

I'm still waiting to hear back from another district where I interviewed last week. I still have interviews I'm hoping to get. I am not sure what to do.

Oh also, she wants to know by Monday.

Any advice?

3. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 1, 2013

Do you think you'll be able to do a good job if you take this position? If you don't think so, I think it would be better to wait than to take a job where you will possibly get non-renewed at the end of the year. If you feel like you can do it, I might take it just based on the job market. How quickly would you need to sign a contract? If you haven't signed yet and get a better offer, you have the option to back out.

4. mathteacher2

mathteacher2 Rookie

Jun 1, 2013

I think I could do a good job, but I'm unsure how much freedom I'd have in this program. From what I've researched, at the end of the day, you receive plans for the next day based on how the students performed that day. The schedule is also a bit unnerving; you won't always have that same groups of kids at the same time and class sizes fluctuate. It makes me wonder how one really plans ahead and prepares.

It sounds like she wants to set up a meeting with HR this coming week, so I feel like if I accepted on Monday and backed out, the most that would buy me is a couple days.

5. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Jun 1, 2013

That job seems like a nightmare to me!

6. mathteacher2

mathteacher2 Rookie

Jun 2, 2013

It definitely sounds like a challenge. It could be great if it works, there are all kinds of technology. Obviously the traditional method has not worked for this district, which is why they're trying something new.

I'm just worried about ending up jobless. Since I started looking in the beginning of May, I have only found 10 jobs to apply to (I applied to anything in math within 40 min. of my apartment), only 2 of which I was really excited about. Half were high school, which I'm certified in, but I really prefer middle school. Also I only heard from two. I know if there were enough jobs, I'm good enough to get into a "better" district, but who knows if I'll have that option.

7. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jun 2, 2013

This seems to be the way of the future. Scary but true. At least you will still be in the room with your students and can help facilitate their learning.

8. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 2, 2013

If you're worried about not having a job, you should take it.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 2, 2013

I tend to agree. We've got a program similar to this one at my school, maybe not with quite so many students. It has been a wildly successful program for our students, and that's saying something.

I think that there could be a sort of freedom in teaching a course like this. It sounds like you'd be more like a guide to your students, which is something that I think they need. It also sounds like your lessons would be 100% tailored to their needs, which is something that is especially difficult, if not impossible, to do in a traditional setting.

I think that I would take this position and see how it goes. If it doesn't work, there's always the possibility of a different position elsewhere the following year.

Out of curiosity, why did you not receive tenure if your principal thinks so highly of you?

10. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Jun 2, 2013

Yeah that descriptions sounds pretty aweful. You will be the only teacher in this room? And when you say they are completing modules is this solely on the computer or do you have to plan multiple modules each day?

11. MzQualified

MzQualified Comrade

Jun 2, 2013

Mathteacher, what did you decide to do?

12. mathteacher2

mathteacher2 Rookie

Jun 2, 2013

My supervisor is very...particular. I didn't fit her mold and he is a new principal so I don't think he was ready to fight for me and alienate her in the process. It's for the best, because I was getting frustrated with my supervisor and she would have made my life hell if he kept me on against her wishes.

13. mathteacher2

mathteacher2 Rookie

Jun 2, 2013

No! That would be a nightmare haha. Sorry I didn't give a great description because I didn't want to make the post too lengthy. There are 6-7 teachers in the room, and it's partitioned off into different areas. Each day the students receive their schedule and might spend half the block on the laptops, then half with a group of 20 and a teacher giving a lesson. Another day they might work with a teacher in a small group of 2. The program decides where they go and what topics they will work on based on how they perform on a few exit questions at the end of each day and then teachers are sent plans for the next day.

Also what I really like is I would only teach 4 days a week, and the fifth day would be for reflection, planning, and preparation with the other teachers in the program.

14. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Jun 2, 2013

That sounds interesting. You sound more ok with the idea than you did in your initial post. If you take it, I hope this school is a better fit for you.

15. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Jun 3, 2013

If you have nothing lined up then I'd take it. If anything , you'll have experience teaching new methods which I think would be an added bonus on the resume.

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 3, 2013

Unless you truly do NOT want it, take it & hopefully something better comes along fast before they want you to officially fill out employment docs, have your first orientation meeting & other meetings, etc.

17. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 3, 2013

After hearing the whole description, I think it sounds like a good opportunity. Did you make a decision yet?

18. mathteacher2

mathteacher2 Rookie

Jun 3, 2013

I took the job. I spoke with the principal today and the job was actually a little different than I initially thought and was initially described. I would be an intervention teacher, on a team of 7 teachers. Each day a week I'd work with the groups of students who need intervention in a particular grade level (one day in 7th grade, one in 6th, etc). We design the program and decide how we are going to intervene and which kids we need to pull out, etc. So I would be in the "Teach to One" room, but not a specific teach to one teacher.

The principal said if I change my mind she just asks that I call her and let her know as soon as possible. She said HR should be calling me this week so I will probably be signing paperwork soon. I might try to push that meeting to next week some time and if something else does come along (a job was JUST posted today 15 minutes away from me!), I might withdraw from this job. But otherwise, at least I have a job for next year. I'm a bit disappointed I won't have a classroom or my own set group of students. I really enjoyed being a classroom teacher the past three years and I will miss it. But I'm happy to have a job and worst case scenario is I'm looking again in a year if I'm unhappy here!

Thanks everyone for your responses, they were much appreciated!

19. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jun 28, 2013

I agree, this job sounds cool.

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2013

Congrats, mathteacher!:thumb:

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2013

Not so old... Op accepted the job June 3... But thanks so much for monitoring. :thumb:

22. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2013

Guess it depends on your definition of 'old'. OP accepted job. Enjoy your evening.

23. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jun 28, 2013

Someone has control issues.

24. Math

Math Cohort

Jun 28, 2013

:yeahthat:

25. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jun 29, 2013

Grape is right. The thread is obsolete because the op turned down the job and is exploring other prospects. I think that is what Grape meant by old. It's a silly argument to say that it's not old. I don't know who the pp was referring to, but it certainly isn't Grape who has control issues.

26. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jun 29, 2013

Yes it's true, the OP accepted the job and then later rescinded that acceptance because the principal reportedly flipped out on her.

27. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2013

Thanks for clarifying, AdamnJakes:love:Didn't connect the two threads. I was merely responding to what the OP posted on this thread. Sorry for any confusion...:unsure:

28. mathteacher2

mathteacher2 Rookie

Jul 1, 2013

Eek I'm sorry my old thread caused such a disagreement! Yes, itsGrape is correct, there was a conflict with the P that made me rethink my decision and I ended up not taking the job after all. I guess I should have updated this thread, but I didn't want to bring back an old thread...which ended up happening anyway haha.

29. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jul 1, 2013

I found it entertaining actually...