Received a contracted position at a new school.

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Iris1001, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Iris1001

Iris1001 Rookie

Jun 7, 2021

Hello, everyone.

It's been quite some time since I've written here. It's been such a crazy school year! I'm so ready to turn off the computer and lounge by the pool this summer. 10 school days left! :)

I wanted to share some good news. For those of you who didn't know, I was a long-term sub at my district this year, but I was able to secure a contracted position at another school. I start in late August, and I am very excited, but I'm a bit nervous too.

Maybe it's just me worrying too much, as usual. The money is INCREDIBLE, and I will be teaching Honors English, which I've never done before and am super excited about. My main concern is that I don't have a classroom. I will be a traveling (floating) teacher, but I will have my own office in the English Department.

I guess I'm just worried because I did so much research on this school, and it was actually voted a top-ten school in New Jersey. I just fear the "newness", if that makes sense. I've been looking for a full-time gig in a school where I can be steady, but I guess my fears are getting in the way.

I did work in a bad school before where admin was out for blood and the kids were violent. My doctor says I have some trauma from this past school, and I'm working to sort it out, but I'm afraid of history repeating itself, I guess.

Aside from getting my anxiety situated, is there anything else I should know about being a floating teacher? Any advice for starting fresh at a new school? Thanks so much in advance, everyone.

CaliforniaRPCV likes this.
  3. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jun 7, 2021

I just want to say congratulations.

MrTempest and Iris1001 like this.
  4. Iris1001

Iris1001 Rookie

Jun 7, 2021

Thank you so much!! :D

5. Pisces

Pisces Companion

Jun 7, 2021

I remember your heartbreaking posts here. I am so glad you found a good district. You will be so much happier.

Iris1001 likes this.
  6. Iris1001

Iris1001 Rookie

Jun 8, 2021

Thank you for your reply. I guess I'm just nervous about going somewhere new. Is it really hard being a traveling teacher? :(

7. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Comrade

Jun 8, 2021

Being a traveling teacher can be hard, but it depends on the teachers whose rooms you share. When you go back in August, set up a meeting with each teacher and see if they can create a space for you, a place where you can keep stuff you need for day-to-day, like textbooks, supplies, etc. If they're willing, maybe a shared supply area, of course, you'd contribute your own stock to the classroom. Get a really good traveling cart or case that is easy to maneuver that will hold everything you need. Be organized--binders or accordian files, or whatever, so everything is at your fingertips. If possible, do as much digitally as you can, just so you don't have to cart papers everywhere. Work with your roommates, make sure everything is the way they left it when you went in. Make sure your students also obey their classroom rules, especially if they are going to be in there while you teach. It may seem silly, but if their rule is everyone sharpens pencils at the beginning of class, it may be best to follow it, only because if they are just one of those types that likes things a certain way, seeing you do it differently, even though it has nothing to do with them, may bother them, and that's how bad gossip starts. And, go to your roommates for advice--even if it's not your subject, they may have really good ideas, and they may become more open to your being in their space.
    I know that even when people use my room for things like testing, while I know it shouldn't bother me, if I come back and stuff has been moved or something I left on my desk was shuffled somewhere, it just bothers me.
    I think honestly the hardest part for me about being at traveling teacher was I felt the kids didn't always think the same of me--I seemed temporary since it wasn't my space. I also didn't like the fact that I couldn't be in the room before the kids get there--I've always felt that's really important. It's doable, but be prepared for some challenges.

Iris1001 likes this.
  8. Iris1001

Iris1001 Rookie

Jun 8, 2021

Maybe I shouldn't take this job. I don't know why, but I have a bad feeling about this. :(

9. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Jun 8, 2021

Congratulations! I second tchr4evr on getting a good rolling crate/bag. Talk to the people you're sharing with. It might be an "our" space situation where they'd be totally fine giving you a desk drawer, bookshelf, bulletin board etc. to use for your classes, or it might be *their* room and you're just using it.
    Because I was in two buildings, other people would use *my* rooms when I was at the other school. I didn't really care, except when my room was re-arranged and not put back. I had to leave a passive-aggressive giant post-it about not opening the windows/changing the thermostat in my band room because others kept leaving windows open and the temperature/humidity flux damages instruments. At the other school, teachers would "borrow" my desks and not put them back, so I'd have kids who didn't have seats the next morning.

The two biggest obstacles with traveling for me were not being able to do set-up for activities before the kids got there and the kids not knowing where to find me/turn things in. If you could have somewhere to hold make-up work, accept late work etc. in each room, that'd be good, otherwise consider hanging a file outside your office door for that.

I also suggest color-coding or labelling your office supplies so things don't walk off or get lost.

Iris1001 likes this.
  10. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Comrade

Jun 8, 2021

Oh, please don't take what I said as bad news. If the school is rated highly, there's probably a reason. Find out as much as you can about your spaces, your colleagues, etc. Just be prepared. I learned a lot when I was a traveling teacher--and it's helped me greatly over the years. Just be prepared. I think it's going to be great!

Iris1001 likes this.
  11. Iris1001

Iris1001 Rookie

Jun 8, 2021

Thank you so much, everyone! Forgive me, maybe I’m just being paranoid. I will give it a try and see how everything goes. ❤️