Reccomendations for buying a good used car?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Cicero, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Aug 1, 2012

Hello, all! So, my situation is that my current car is in such bad shape that it is actually being totaled out (which is relatively good news considering I am moving states this weekend and I was fairly certain it wasn't going to make the trip).

My current car was given to me, so I have never had to go car shopping before. Do you have any tips as to how to keep myself from getting a lemon?

Thanks!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2012

Certified pre-owned

Or from a car dealership...buy the brand they sell.

4. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 1, 2012

I would also suggest you look into financing before settling on the kind of car. You may find it easier or as easy to finance a new car as a used car.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2012

I used to work at a dealership outside of Charlotte. I have a salesman that I completely trust (he is like a father to me). If you don't mind the hour drive, send me a PM and I will send you his info.

6. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2012

Note that the asking price for a certified used car is often close to that of a new car of the same make and model.

However, the dealer may have more negotiating room. If you are looking at a used car, find out the trade in value. That will give you an idea of what the dealer paid for it. Then add between $500 and $1000 for reconditioning it. Now you have an idea of what they can sell it to you and still make or not lose money.

Here's the deal with used cars, though. They are great deals if you are paying cash and want something that would be above your price point if new. On Friday, I paid around $16,000 for a 2011 Nissan Rogue with 40,000 miles on it. Previous rental car.

Now, to be honest, there were a lot of new cars I could have gotten for the same price. But a new Nissan Rogue with AWD would have set me back at least $23,000.

One thing I had going for me was that I was paying cash. Had I been financing, Nissan currently has a 0 percent for 36 months deal going on. Volkswagen has zero percent for 60 months on their gassers. That would have made a new car a much better option had I needed to finance it.

7. cmw

cmw Groupie

Aug 1, 2012

Check ratings for dealerships through the Better Business Bureau. I would not have bought my car through the dealership I did if I would have thought to look there.