Rebecca Sitton

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by **Mrs.A**, Aug 13, 2009.

1. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Aug 13, 2009

Does anyone use Rebecca Sitton for spelling? We are trying it this year and I'm kind of at a loss on how to use her program. If you do use it, do you students get an additional spelling list? Last year, we used Harcourt spelling, but they didn't order the spelling books this year because of the budget cuts.

I'm wondering if using the words from R.S. will be enough.. :unsure:

3. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Aug 13, 2009

We currently use RSS (Rebecca Sitton Spelling). Students do NOT get additional words. I am not a huge fan of RSS because I have not seen a positive impact on our spelling abilities in the past 6 years... actually I think student spelling abilities have gone down. I would suggest looking into Spaulding Spelling as a better alternative-- a colleague of mine swears by it!

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2009

I tutor a student whose class uses Sitton spelling- As a tutor, I feel like I'm missing something. The workbook and homework seems disjointed to me.

5. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Aug 13, 2009

I really agree with the idea of Sitton spelling - that spelling is for life and not just for a test on Friday - but I don't like how the lessons are laid out. I'd rather it be very precise, i.e. Lesson 1 - homophones - do a, b, c. I wouldn't necessarily follow it all the time, but I'd like better directions. I often supplement with word families.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2009

I think that's my experience with my tutoring kid- she never really knows what the focus for the week is in her spelling...and the homework (workbook) seems random and not to follow a particular pattern or word family...It's important for kids to be able to make connections between spelling words- knowing one word helps you spell other words, using word sorts to discover patterns and 'rules'. I used 'Words Their Way' this year with my second graders and liked it for those aspects.

7. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 13, 2009

I've had to use it in two different schools, and never received training. I think that's the key-it's so confusing without training.

8. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2009

Jem, I had the training....not much better after either. Sitton is time consuming, confusing, and doesn't help. We are using Making and Writing words this year with our students. Hopefully it improves their spelling. I was just looking at my kid's writing today and the spelling was atrocious!!! playing was paeing

9. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Aug 13, 2009

Personally I think that either you're a speller or you're not - even in first or second grade. Sure kids can memorize them and will eventually get their sight words hammered out, but there are many adults that had good spelling programs who still cannot spell well. I don't spend that much time on spelling because either they just don't get it and are constantly spelling even one syllable words wrong or they do get it and you only have to tell them once and they'll remember it forever. I do spend time on phonics and lots of other aspects of language arts, of course, so they get exposed to lots of words/spelling things without explicit lessons like 'this is how you spell...'