Rebecca Sitton Spelling Program

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by lnewbigging, Sep 22, 2006.

1. lnewbigging

lnewbigging Companion

Sep 22, 2006

Has anyone ever used or is currently using Rebecca Sitton's Spelling program. My school is starting to implement it and I am a little overwhelmed . Any advice or suggestions of how to use this program would be very helpful.

3. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Sep 22, 2006

We have been using it for the past couple of years. I "plan" on devoting 20min a day for spelling. The first day, I do the activities (Stretch it, Sort It...), the next day I teach one of the concepts and possibility the Extending writing (I think that's what it is called) section that usually aligns with the Take Home Task (THT). The third day, I teach the other concept if needed and do the Cloze/Word Test. The fourth day, I give the skills test and follow-up with any other material that I think needs reviewing. The last day, I do sentence dictation.

I made my life a LOT easier by word processing all of the activities and making a transparency for each Unit. I put it up on the overhead and the kids complete the activities in their notebook after we've reviewed the core words.

I have it down pretty well now... but have been using the program for at least 4 years. I am sure that I am still not using it to the extent that Rebecca Sitton would like to see it used.. but it works for me.

4. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Sep 22, 2006

I have used it....and gotta tell ya, Im not crazy about it!
    I never really saw the connections and found that most of it was sight words....which I taught during our word wall time....

5. LuvTchng

LuvTchng Companion

Sep 24, 2006

The most important thing to know and keep in mind is that you aren't expected to complete every unit in the book or even every lesson/activity within the units. You can pick and choose. This works well because the skills, like the words, just keep cycling through. I follow a format similar to the one TeacherRW explained in the post above. The students have a notebook just for spelling...it's called the spelling spiral. Anyway, I've noticed improvements in our students' spelling the last few years.

P.S. If you've never heard Rebecca Sitton present in person, you've missed quite the show. She's very animated.

6. lnewbigging

lnewbigging Companion

Sep 24, 2006

Thanks all, all your comments help.