Reasons for leaving job after one year

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Mrs.Giggles, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Mrs.Giggles

Mrs.Giggles Companion

Feb 17, 2014

Without going into too much detail, I am fairly set on not signing my contract for next year. Yes, this was my first year teaching. Yes, I know that it is always difficult, but I am humble enough to say that teaching in an urban setting is NOT for me. Kudos to those of you who can do it, but I am not one of those people. Going home miserable every night has started to impact my whole life and my marriage. I refuse to let the stress of my job put a damper on my marriage.

I am now applying for teaching jobs in more middle-class areas. I worked as support staff as an Out-of-School Time Facilitator for over six years in a school that was in a middle class socioeconmic area, and I've seen the difference that school has to my present school. I'm also applying for management jobs in a field similar to the one I was in prior to taking my current job.

I feel good about my decision, but I just have one concern. What do I state as my reason for leaving? I just don't want to shoot myself in the foot.

Also, I know that this post may not be the most politically correct. I'm also not looking to debate suburban and urban schools. I just appreciate any input that you may have. Thank you!

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 17, 2014

I left after one year because I knew another year wouldn't work. However, I was applying out of the area so I stated moving as my reason for looking.

I would make it positive about the specific school like "I love the availability of technology here" or something like that.

4. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Feb 17, 2014

:yeahthat: I agree with this. Make your reason for leaving about the positives in the specific school or district you are applying to. I don't know how applications work in your state, but in CA, there is just a simple line "reason for leaving" on our online application. I've never had to do what you're doing, but I think that just a simple and vague statement like "looking for new opportunities" might be enough. You can use the cover letter to do what dgpiaffeteach suggested. I really think that line only exists because they want to know if you were non renewed or not. You weren't, so I really don't think it will be an issue.

For what it's worth, I think making the right decision for YOU is exactly the right thing to do. I am in my second year of teaching and am applying in another part of the state. That's right for me, and this is right for you. Do not feel guilty or allow people to make you second guess your reasons. Best of luck to you!

5. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Feb 17, 2014

I also taught in an inner city school last year and I completely understand- it was not for me either! On the line that asks for a "reason for leaving" on applications I put "looking for a school that is a better fit." My district had quite the reputation, so I found I didn't need to do much explaining when interviewing at other schools. When I told them where I worked, they were impressed I'd even managed to have one successful year there.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Feb 17, 2014

Is there a distance issue at all? For example, I just started my job, but I know I will look next year as well. It is 90 miles away, so that will be my reason. I'm just thankful because now I can be picky!!!

7. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Feb 17, 2014

I left a school that was 30 min. from my home to a school that was only 15 min. One of my reasons was I wanted something closer to home. I used that any time I was applying to something that was closer to me. For schools that were about the same distance I said something along the opportunities

I also said looking for new opportunities.

I would hope that if anyone was looking at your resume & saw that you are coming from an urban school that that could be a reason why. It is a whole different ball game.