Reasonably priced Online classes?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Securis, May 30, 2014.

1. Securis

Securis Cohort

May 30, 2014

Reasonable is quite subjective but still.... I've found a few that run about $250 a credit hour. That seems pretty steep considering that you never see a professor face to face and everything is transmitted electronically. Is this the standard range of rates for online programs? And does anyone have a good recommendation*?

So to clarify for the recommendation, I'm an art teacher looking to have my license reinstated in my home state then seek reciprocity in my current state. Plus, I'm thinking that I will shift my focus from arts to special education to, hopefully, be more marketable. So based on that, any good recommendations?

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 30, 2014

I know some of the SUNY schools have online classes. Have you checked those out?

4. SF_Giants66

SF_Giants66 Cohort

May 30, 2014

$250 per credit hour is actually pretty good for graduate credits. Community colleges charge about $125-$150 for undergraduate credits, and that is if you live in county.

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 30, 2014

I am just now finishing an online course that ran 1 month, cost me $300 for 3 credits. I did this to bump me up on the payscale. This university actually has a lot of other online classes that seem interesting and they're all for teachers. I paid $1500 (or a little more) a month at National University for the same thing, although it was 4 or 4.5 credit, but even then, it was a LOT of money.

6. eternalsaudade

eternalsaudade Companion

May 30, 2014

Securis, are you looking for individual classes or a degree program? Graduate or undergraduate? Education-related only or other subjects? If undergraduate, is upper (300+ level) vs. lower (100-200 level) division important? I might have some suggestions based on what you're looking for.

7. Securis

Securis Cohort

May 30, 2014

This will be undergrad and those are undergrad costs per credit. So a three credit course falls in the neighborhood of $750.00. And I'm looking at individual courses. I did look at a SUNY nearby and they priced out at $248.00 per credit. I really only need one 3 credit course. At least, if I can find my other paperwork buried in my still packed boxes, that's all I'll need initially.

Afterwards, license transferred from one state to the next, job found, then I'll have to seek a grad program but first things first.

8. kab164

kab164 Companion

May 30, 2014

My friends have used Learner's Edge. They have a class on teaching in the face of poverty that I really want to take. Their classes are around 350 I think which is cheap

9. eternalsaudade

eternalsaudade Companion

May 30, 2014

There are also VESI courses which I think are around $250-500 total for 3-credits depending on the university.

You can find a list of courses here: here.
    And a list of universities that offer them here.

10. Securis

Securis Cohort

May 31, 2014

Thank you, thank you! Thank you everyone! Legoac, how would I confirm those credit costs? I perused the site and didn't see where that information was offered. I may have just missed it.

Edit - found it! thanks again.

11. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 31, 2014

Click on the link.

Choose your state.

Click on a university.

Peruse the different course offering and prices.

12. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 1, 2014

Has anyone used http://www.advancementcourses.com? It was recommended to me by a colleague last week. She said it came highly recommended to her by other colleagues. Not that I don't trust her, but I'm just wondering if anyone else has had good experiences with them?