Reason for leaving teaching job mid-year

Discussion in 'General Education' started by KittytoKaren, Mar 27, 2017.

1. KittytoKaren

KittytoKaren New Member

Mar 27, 2017

I was the victim of bullying by my principal and vice principal (actually - all of the staff was bullied) in an urban school. Two of my colleagues resigned from their positions over winter break; I was a first year teacher (Masters) and simply couldn't take anymore. The kids were difficult, but I could work with that. I finally resigned recently - but before the end of the school year. My question is - as I move to interview for other positions - what do I tell the principal (interviewer) about my reason for leaving mid-year? I would appreciate any feedback with sincere thanks...

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2017

Can you elaborate here on the bullying?

4. KittytoKaren

KittytoKaren New Member

Mar 27, 2017

Administration (either Principal or Vice-Principal) would make repeated, unscheduled visits to my classroom and yell at me in front of my students (which undermined my authority with my students) about random issues that did not impact my teaching ability. Would tell me to "shut up" in grade level meetings. No mentoring provided. No classroom resources that other classrooms had. Sent harassing emails to me and other teachers about reports that needed to be sent to their office that minute with no prior discussion, reminder or warning.Too many issues to list.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2017

Was this your first year teaching? Some of those issues seem bad, but honestly some of them (lack of mentoring, lack of resources) seem fairly normal, especially at an urban school. Did you print the harassing emails? What made you view them as harassment to you, just that they required an immediate response?

If you were to bring these issues up in an interview, I would red flag you as someone who is possibly too needy and who maybe has unrealistic expectations, to be perfectly honest. No, I don't think that it's okay to be yelled at in front of students (or at all really) or told to shut up, but I don't think that those serious issues should be lumped in with not having a mentor or copy paper.

4SquareRubric likes this.
  6. 4SquareRubric

4SquareRubric Rookie

Mar 27, 2017

I agree. If you bring it up then discuss the public facing part of the principal and assistant principal actions.

Be mindful of who you would provide as references.

As best you can look for schools where you already have a connection. Having someone vouch for you who is also known by the new admin is the best route in a situation like this. You need to network. Sending a resume cold will raise red flags as Caesar735 said.

7. KittytoKaren

KittytoKaren New Member

Mar 27, 2017

Thank you for the feedback. As I indicated in my initial question, 2 other teachers from my school resigned over winter break - so I was the third person to do so. This was not done by any of my colleagues for health reasons. My teacher's union rep said that complaints had been raised about them in the past. I didn't want to focus on the resource aspects as the reason for leaving, which it wasn't...just wanted to provide additional information.

8. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

Mar 27, 2017

I would probably go with "it wasn't a good fit" and try not to elaborate further, if it were me. What have you been doing since you quit?

coeurcurieux and anon55 like this.
  9. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Mar 27, 2017

I agree that you should try "It wasn't a good fit" and then not elaborate unless they really push you to. I started applying for new positions shortly after the beginning of this year for a myriad of reasons and while I expected them to ask why I was looking for a new job, it never even came up. It might be a little harder as a new year teacher but go as simple as you can.

coeurcurieux likes this.
  10. KittytoKaren

KittytoKaren New Member

Mar 27, 2017

I understand - I know it would not be a good idea to criticize a former boss or job. Should they push for specifics, what do you think is an innocuous response? I simply couldn't think of anything...and that is the reason for my asking the question here on this forum.

11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 27, 2017

I agree.

I would try to get as far away geographically as possible. Admins in an area tend to know each other, even if only by name, and they talk.

Are you going to have any good recommendations from supervisors? Without any, getting interviews might be problematic.

12. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Mar 27, 2017

One local school has a principal who is a complete whack job and attempts to sabotage anyone who leaves her building. They've had three teachers quit in the past month, alone.

These kinds of people are out there. History and experience has taught me that there are a plethora of bad and mediocre administrators, and very, very few with actual leadership ability. Many are failed teachers and ladder-climbers.

You need to focus on references outside crazy, and just hope that crazy gets theirs in the end.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017