Really?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by FourSquare, Sep 6, 2013.

1. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 6, 2013

Really?

Now....I love my kids. And I love teaching, especially SPED. I can't imagine doing anything else for a LONG time.

But sometimes I just cannot fathom the memory issues my kids have. My 7th graders have seen and worked with the term "perimeter" since 3rd grade. All last year we acted out perimeter, taped squares on the floor and solved for perimeter, did math talks on perimeter. There was a chart. All year. Perimeter.

Today? Quick perimeter review problem....they SWEAR they've never seen that word before.

Same thing with "data." DATA. Scientific method! Math graphing! YOU LEARNED THAT. IN 1ST GRADE.

:whistle:

:banghead:

:blush:

We will figure it all out again!

3. mrsnoble116

mrsnoble116 Companion

Sep 10, 2013

did you show them the RIM in peRIMeter? that it goes around something like the basketball rim?

4. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Sep 14, 2013

I have been at my school for 3 years. I've had most of the same kids for 3 years. Last year I had to re-do all of my lesson plans to match with common core. This year, I decided I am using the same lesson plans and pacing guides that I used last year. I haven't had a student tell me, "We did this last year" once. I was really expecting some of that, but.....none. That's self-contained for ya. :)

5. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 14, 2013

Oh yeah yeah...we have done all the little tricks. They "get it" now. For now!

I might as well teach in a combination of French and Wingdings! :haha:

6. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Sep 14, 2013

I loved my time as a special education teacher, but you've hit the nail on the head exactly why I'm so happy to be in a GT classroom.

7. comaba

comaba Cohort

Sep 15, 2013

Um, I'm regular ed and I experience the same thing!

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 15, 2013

Does anybody think that 'pushing down' skills into lower grades, which automatically means less time with hands-on practice, helps to cause this?

9. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Sep 15, 2013

Yes, it's frustrating. I'm excited this year because, even though I've only had a week with them, my class seems so much higher this year than last year's class.

We count the number of school days every day. Every. Single. Day. And every day, we discuss whether the current school day number is odd or even. After we establish which one it is, I give them a strategy to remember it: Count by 2s. If you hear it, it's even. If you don't, it's odd. Every. Single. Day. About 4 or 5 of them couldn't get it - finished the year of 4the grade still not mastering odd or even. Very frustrating, I know.