REALLY?!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Olive.Owl, May 19, 2011.

1. Olive.Owl

Olive.Owl Rookie

May 19, 2011

Sadly, the county I work in is having to make drastic budget cuts, which has caused all annual contract teachers to not be given jobs next year. I wasn't thrilled with this news, but I accepted it, since it was a "county thing," and I didn't want to make a fuss, considering I'm a first-year teacher.

However, I found out the other day that another teacher on my team (whom might I say is not nearly as effective or as engaging as I am) was given her position back, but I was left with my same non-reappointed status.

I am not only hurt by this decision, but baffled. The only reasoning I can substantiate for my administration is that she has 30 days more experience than I do. If this is what all schools base their employment off of, the school system is more corrupt than I ever thought.

I know there are only a few weeks of the school year left, but I am going to find it difficult to keep face and conquer through the days with this knowledge bearing on my shoulders. It's going to be even more difficult to face my team and exponentially worse because I share a room with the teacher who was chosen over me. Any suggestions to help strengthen my emotions, mind, and morale would be oh-so appreciated. I just want to make it through the year without changing the bubbly teacher I am or breaking down in front of my students...

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 19, 2011

First :hugs:

Second, you CAN do this. You just have to hold your head up high and put one foot in front of the other. Think about the students that are sitting in front of you.

4. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 19, 2011

I'm sorry you're going through this. In most school systems the have to go by seniority lists when pink slipping and rehiring teachers so her 30 days probably pushed her ahead of you. At least if they've already given a job back to someone just a little ahead of you it seems like there's a good chance you'll get rehired before the next school year begins. Good luck!

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 19, 2011

Sorry that you are going through this. Hopefully you will hear good news soon.

Yes, many schools do go by seniority especially if their evaluations were the same. Now, if she had not good evaluations, then seniority may not be an issue. My thought is that the administration gave her good evaluations.

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 19, 2011

Senority is definately the way it's done. I was told by a teacher that 2 signed the exact same day...they had to go down to the hour & in one case the minute it is signed!!! After hearing that when another girl & I signed I did so quickly & handed it back. I know seems sad, but you have to cover yourself as well.

Also when they do those lists you need to double check your day.

Keep your chin up & hopefully something better comes along.

7. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

May 19, 2011

Don't blame the school district. Blame the union. You signed the contract and that is part of the contract.

8. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

May 19, 2011

That's what I was thinking.

WHAT?! oh jeez...... We don't have a union where I am and it's conducted that way.

9. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

May 19, 2011

Our district had a large layoff a couple of years ago due to budget cuts. They sent letters to 48 teachers (all with less than 2 years experience) informing them their contracts were not being renewed.

This was done because the fiscal year ends on June 30 and the district had to show they had met the budget cuts by that date. However, the district also said they hoped to find enough funding for the next fiscal year to re-instate most of those contracts - and they did. By the end of July, about 42 of the 48 teachers had been given new contracts. A few more received positions after the school year began. One of those was the teacher I replaced this year after he was transferred to a different school.

So, the bottom line was that only 2-3 of the original 48 teachers did NOT get their contracts renewed during the following year.

I'm facing the same thing. My position is "interim" and I received my own letter last week stating all interim positions were being cut due to the budget shortages. However, I know this is much the same situation the district faced two years ago and I have high hopes I will at least get my interim position back next year. It would be even better to get a full-time position (and I'm working on extra certifications to improve my chances for that), but I'll take what I can get. If nothing else, I can always go back to subbing until a position does come along.

So keep your chin up and keep thinking positive thoughts. It sounds like the other teacher just barely beat you out based on seniority, but as another poster said, that should mean YOUR name is near the top of the list for next position that opens up. :thumb:

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 19, 2011

Here, as well, we go by seniority. A few years ago, we had to lose one teacher. The 4 teachers with the least seniority all signed their contracts on the same day. The decision was made by, literally, drawing straws.

11. Olive.Owl

Olive.Owl Rookie

May 19, 2011

I really appreciate everyone's kind words. It makes me feel a little bit better than my school/district isn't the only one that goes strictly and precisely by seniority.

I guess I'll just have to put my best game face on and tough the remainder of the year out.

12. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 19, 2011

Aw, I'm so sorry. :( I really hope you get to keep your position for next year. Is there a date they need to notify you by? California has to give preliminary pink slips by March 15th and final layoff notices by May 15th. Of course, even after May 15th teachers can be hired back, pending budgets, since the final state budget is still a mystery.

California does EVERYTHING based on seniority - evaluations play absolutely no role. My mom went through this very recently - she had the same hire date (2008) as 2 other teachers in her district. (I should point out that she is in year 13 - but they only count seniority in THAT district.) They then went by a point system - 2 points for a reading certificate, 2 points for a master's, ? points for a BCLAD (bilingual certification), etc. My mom won out because she has a master's and a reading certificate, so she had more points than the other two and she got to keep a job in the district. However, in another district, I've heard that if there is a tie between people in "points," they then literally draw straws/pick numbers, like MrsC mentioned.

Like others have said, that person getting hired back may actually end up being GOOD news for you, since you are so close to her hire date. You may very well be next on the list! My mom received pink slips in 2009 and 2010, and she ended up keeping her job both times, so it DOES happen!! But I know from her experience that the waiting is the WORST! :( Just keep your chin up and remember miracles can happen!! :) My mom's been laid off three years a row, and she's kept a job three years in a row!

13. Srohl

Srohl Rookie

May 19, 2011

And remember.....things happen for a reason. Open your eyes and your mind to what is around you. Maybe something better is coming at you!

14. Olive.Owl

Olive.Owl Rookie

May 21, 2011

@yellowdaisies, I cannot believe your mom went through all of that. At least things ended up working out for her! I just don't think I will be given my position in fifth grade back :\ I know I'm still young/fresh, but I really took to fifth grade, and I am so bitter that if I am given a position it wouldn't be in the grade I want. (Picky, picky!)

@Srohl, I have been trying to take the state of mind you've mentioned. I have been keeping an open mind and have accepted the thrill of a challenge of prowling for something new (and perhaps better) in the school/job department.

Thank you again for everyone's optimism! I am trying so hard to keep my head high.

15. indigo-angel

indigo-angel Companion

May 21, 2011

This is an unfortunate situation to be in for anyone. The only thing to do is move forward and find somewhere else. Next time something like this happens, you may be the one able to keep your job because of seniority.

16. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 21, 2011

So many schools around here lay off teachers every spring! Depending on the district, most of those get called back. Not necessarily to the same school or grade. Sometimes having the right endorsements can help also.