Really want to take a personal day

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Bella2010, May 2, 2010.

1. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

May 2, 2010

Hi All,

We have a track meet scheduled in about two weeks. I will be 34 weeks pregnant. I have been assigned to monitor students who are not participating, which means that I will be sitting on the hard, metal bleachers all day and waddling myself up and down the stairs/aisles.

I remember the last two years: extreme heat, kids acting like idiots, and smelly bathrooms that ran out of TP in about two hours.

I really want to take a personal day and hire a sub, but I don't want to look like I am playing the "pregnancy card." So, I don't know what to do.

Beth

3. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

May 2, 2010

You are entitled to your personal days. Take the day. No one needs to know why - maybe you had an appointment, or some other previously scheduled thing.

4. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

May 2, 2010

Who on earth would assign a way-pregnant woman to sit out in the sun on hard bleachers all day? Take the personal day and don't look back. If you really feel guilty, schedule a doctor's appointment or something. I don't have kids and I've never been pregnant, but even I know that's a bad idea for you.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 2, 2010

Personal Day!

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 2, 2010

Take the day. You have them for PERSONAL reasons that don't require a ton of explanation.

Oh, and welcome to the forum! :welcome::atoz_love:

7. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

May 2, 2010

I would take a personal day and if you feel uncomfortable doing so, I'm sure you could get a doctor's note.

8. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 2, 2010

Take the personal day!

9. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

May 2, 2010

Thanks, guys! DH keeps telling me to take the personal day. It helps getting that opinion seconded from fellow teachers. I just don't want to look like a whimp.

Thanks again,

Beth

10. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

May 2, 2010

Play the pregnancy card.

I sure would if I could.

11. oldfashioned

oldfashioned Comrade

May 2, 2010

It's a no-brainer. Take the personal day.

Once, when I was in the middle of one of my pregnancies, my grade level was scheduled to take a hike in the mountains. At the time, I had to use the bathroom OFTEN, and I couldn't see myself ducking behind trees and bushes. I called a sub for the day, and no one questioned my decision and I felt not an ounce of guilt. Neither should you.

12. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 2, 2010

BTW welcome to the boards. I hope you are here to stay. We have a lot of pregnant ladies and new moms on the boards right now. And of course a bunch of wonderful teachers.

13. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

May 2, 2010

Is it a school-wide event? Last year I was pregnant with twins and my grade level was going tidepooling. I obviously couldn't go walking on wet rocks, but my doctor also would not let me travel the distance or ride on a school bus.

I arranged to have an aide from a different grade level go with my class and I filled her role for the day.

Talk to your OB. I'm sure he/she would give you a medical excuse to not participate.

14. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

May 2, 2010

I want to take a personal day on our field day and I'm not pregnant. I just don't like field day! Go for it!

15. WhatchaDoin?

WhatchaDoin? Comrade

May 2, 2010

Just agreeing with everyone else - take the day! I like the idea to schedule an appointment that day. I also think it's a safety issue - navigating bleacher seats at 34 weeks pregnant to manage kiddos isn't the safest way to go. Good luck, and enjoy these last few weeks of pregnancy!

16. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

May 2, 2010

Take the day, no explanation required.

17. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

May 2, 2010

:agreed:

18. Chalk

Chalk Companion

May 2, 2010

Pregnancy is a wonderful experience for men and women and your P or AP should know that.

Go and take the day, especially for the safety of your baby. If you fall or get overheated.....

No worries, playing the preg-o card in this situation is very very acceptable.

19. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

May 3, 2010

Just something else to consider...is there a rain date for the event? If there is then a personal day might not be the way to go. I would just be honest with your concerns. They are valid.

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 3, 2010

Take it.

21. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 3, 2010

Can you just talk to the organizer and ask for a more pregnancy appropriate assignment? Our track meet is this Friday, and usually I am the Clerk of the Finish. However this year, the PE teacher had already asked me what I wanted-if anything-to do. I was going to announce, which meant just sitting up in the crow's nest and using the mic.

However, being on bedrest I obviously can't go as a worker (I will probably go and park in a lawn chair and watch my own daughter). The organizer totally understood-she just found someone else. Is your school big enough that maybe whoever was organizing didn't realize that you were that pregnant? Or it was just an oversight?

I guess I would be annoyed if I had to take a personal day in order to not be uncomfortable. Would they require a wheelchair bound person to be a runner at the event? Or a deaf person to announce? Nope. If I were you, I would stand up for myself, and ask for a more appropriate assignment.