Really? Venting

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by cheer, Aug 26, 2012.

1. cheer

cheer Comrade

Aug 26, 2012

Ok a couple of things have me bothered. One, how many planning periods do you all get during the week? I'm at a small private school and I just found out that we will only be having one planning period all week. Grrr! How do you get everything done for a 2 grade split with 1 planning period? Ohh, the one planning period will come to an end in Dec. unless they replace the gym teacher.

Next, when does your school order textbooks and workbooks? Kids arrive Monday and the supplies were ordered Friday. I hope they expressed shipped it. Last year, things were backordered until October!

Please make me feel like this is normal and I'm just over reacting.
    It's hard to deal with last minute craziness when I'm trying to do my very best.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2012

We have a planning period every day. And we're actually moving away from textbooks because they no longer align with our standards, but we do already have them. There was a year that we had ordered some supplies for the room that weren't going to get there until after Meet the Teacher night so we went shopping at the local teacher store that afternoon to get what we needed.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 26, 2012

We don't have any individual planning time for things like grading. It all has to be done on our own time. We have about 3.5 hours of collaborative planning per week- it takes place over 3 days DURING lunch. 2 days a week, I am with my kiddos from bell-to-bell. No breaks, lunch and recess duty.

As far as books, we are expected to not consume consumables. Kids have to write their answers on paper, but the books don't hold up well. We haven't adopted textbooks in over 5 years, so we don't ever have enough. The ONE consumable book we receive (this is the last year for it) hasn't come in yet. We always have it by now, so I am not sure what the hold up is.

So, no, you are not alone!

5. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 26, 2012

We do not have any planning time. Each teacher in grades 1-4 teaches one special, so we have kids at all times except every other afternoon for 15 min. when we don't have recess duty.

Our books and workbooks are usually ordered well in advance, but there was a problem with the order for the math workbooks, and they didn't arrive until the end of the first week of school.

6. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Aug 26, 2012

I teach at a private school, and the same thing sometimes happens to us as well. We sometimes have our books arrive in October. I just plan for it. The internet has made this better. Even if your books haven't come in--the teacher's manuals, tests, and worksheets are often free online from whichever publisher you are waiting for your books. It has greatly improved my teaching to learn how to teach without using a textbook.

I would recommend in March or April asking in the nicest way if books could be ordered early so they arrive in time of school. Think about how to phrase this best with your principal. The nice thing in private schools is that access to the principal is usually very easy.

I sympathize with your lack of planning time. Last year we had lots of specials and lots of planning. This year due to lack of $$$, teachers are teaching lots of their own specials. It is hard, but at least my class size is much lower than when I taught in the public schools.

Good luck to you!

7. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 26, 2012

I am really lucky because we get a lot of planning time. I have an hour everyday when my kids are in Spanish, and if I do not have recess duty, I have 30 minutes in the afternoon, and then 45 minutes when they go to specials (there's one special where my TA attends but if it falls on the day she goes to another class, then I go with the class instead). There's also one day a week where our grade level meets during activities time, but the rest of those times I have available for planning, and it's very nice.

8. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 26, 2012

I am totally spoiled with planning this year. I have a 45 minute plan every day, and due to union rules, the school is NOT allowed to make you do anything else during this time (no covering other classes, no meetings, etc.) If for some reason you don't get your planning, they have to make it up to you later in the day. We also have a 45 minute block in the afternoon where we meet with our team to look at data, rti, pbis, or team planning (it's a different thing every day). We have guidelines and don't just have the freedom to plan for our classes, but we get things done we'd have to do before/after school otherwise, and it's still a break from the kids in the afternoon and gives us time to go the bathroom or whatever we need. Last week they were taking an all school photo during my grade level's planning period, so instead of making us meet together in the afternoon they gave us that period as our personal plan.

In my last school I taught sped and rarely got planning (or lunch, for that matter) so my schedule feels so much more relaxed this year. My last school also didn't have a union and I was frequently made to do other things during what should have been plan times. I was lucky if I could actually get 1 or 2 planning periods in a week.

ETA: Our lunch is only 30 minutes, but it is duty free every day. A lot of teachers complain about the time, but again, in comparison to when I taught sped and was lucky to get 20 minutes a few days a week, this seems like a luxury to me to know that I get my 30 minutes for sure every day with no other duties.

9. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 26, 2012

I sympathize with those of you with no planning. I left a district like that! At my current school, we are spoiled with how much time we have sans kids. We have one hour daily for specials plus 70 minutes for lunch and recess. Our lunch is 30 and recess is 40 but we do not do duty.

10. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Aug 26, 2012

Reading some of these posts make me realize I have no basis to complain. We get a 45 minute planning per day and 30 minutes, lunch, when the kids are at recess/lunch. Although there are a lot of things our new P does that really irritate me, I'll give it to him that he tries to make sure we always get our planning time. Like if we have an assembly that runs into our planning time he changes things around so that we still get it.

Beth

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2012

Contracted 175 minutes per week...in truth we have one 40 minute prep per day while kids are at a special plus 1/2 hour planning/meeting time first thing in morning, plus an hour duty free lunch.

12. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 26, 2012

Last year we got 40 min while kids were in specials. We're now co-teaching specials so our prep will now be only before school and after school as far as I know, I haven't seen a final schedule yet but it's the only thing I could see happening. I do have a duty free 40 min lunch though and no recess duty.

13. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 26, 2012

I get 40 minutes a day while they are at specials. The grade beofre us is notoroiously late so they cut into our time. (Specials teachers won't take a class until the other class is goine.) So we really have about 30 minutes total for planning, calling parents, making copies, etc.

14. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Aug 26, 2012

We have at least a thirty minute special per day. Some days you may get more than one, it just depends on how the schedule works out. We have 40 minute lunch/recess each day. But each teacher has recess duty twice a week.

15. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Aug 26, 2012

We get 40 minutes for planning and 30 minutes for lunch every day. We have a union and this is in our contract. In my position, I also get another 30 minute period for assessment each day.

I feel very fortunate with my schedule; I can't imagine having to go all day with no break from the kids.

16. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Aug 26, 2012

We get 45 minutes of planning/lunch per day, and one common planning time for the grade level team per week. We have time before and after school though, about 45 minutes a day. I can get a lot done in that time!

17. ozteach

ozteach Comrade

Aug 26, 2012

:eek::dizzy: This must be difficult (to say the least). How do you go to the bathroom or have something to eat during the day?

18. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 26, 2012

Well our situations are much different. I teach in a public school with an extremely powerful union. So I get a 45 minute prep once a day in addition to 2 periods of 45 minutes of planning/meetings with my grade level a week. One of my preps a week is used for a meeting.

Our school sometimes orders things late but I'm sure I'll have at least the bare minimum when school starts.

19. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Aug 26, 2012

That was the way it was when I taught at a private school back in the 80s. Currently, I have 86 minutes of planning time a day - and I can't imagine getting everything done with much less. I use every minute!

20. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2012

It seems abusive to me to require teachers to work without a break. Even Walmart employees get a break.

:(

21. TerriInCa

TerriInCa Companion

Aug 26, 2012

I get a 45 minute prep from 9:05-9:50 Mon-Thurs. And then another 20 minute 10:30-10:50 twice a week. But I don't really get a lunch break because the kids are right outside my door eating lunch and me and the other 2 teachers kinda rotate during the 25 minute lunch so we can all have a bathroom break.

22. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 27, 2012

This.

23. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Aug 27, 2012

The least amount of prep I have during the day is 70 minutes. On one day I have 150 minutes. It's a great schedule; my school really takes good care of us that way.

24. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2012

I missed the workbook question when I answered earlier...we ordered our math workbooks (the only wb we order each year) on one of the last days of school and the boxes are in my room...we'll split them up when everyone's back next week. Last year we forgot to order til we got back...it took about three weeks to get.

25. greendream

greendream Cohort

Aug 27, 2012

I'm reminded of the thread where several teachers said the admin refused to let them have water in the classroom. We really put up with a lot.