Really unhappy..suggestions??

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mami1Maestra2, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Mami1Maestra2

Mami1Maestra2 Rookie

Oct 16, 2019

I'm really unhappy at my current school and trying to make it to May. How do you cope??? Suggestions for getting through each day??

3. a2z

a2z Maven

Oct 17, 2019

Find positive things in your life every day, even if they are small things. Have a nice view out your window in your room, be happy when you see a bird or something interesting. Think of things you have outside of school that make you happy. Instead of thinking all the way until May, think May is only a few months away. Some people have no chance of getting out of terrible situations.

If you can get 5 minutes each day, try to just sit/stand/walk and think of nothing school related. Think of good things. Breathe deep and slow. Make sure your hands and toes are not balled up in stress. Stretch and relax your muscles and breathe. Breathe. This will settle the emotions and stress a bit. Then think about good things. May is only 7 months away. It may be a hard 7 months, but in terms of life, it is not that long.

4. Kaylee Flemings

Kaylee Flemings New Member

Oct 17, 2019

It is really difficult when you don't like what you do. But it is time to realize what makes you full of pleasure. May you need some time for learning or for relaxing. And the answers already are inside you. Transform every day to the fun by accepting the reality and then asking how I wanna do, what brings me pleasure.

This is the practice:
    1. You say your emotions (I'm tired or I'm angry, I don't like these things etc,)
    2. After that, you say I'm alive. I accept it, but I wanna ... (imagine your wonderful time what would you have)
    3. Go and do a small thing that makes you feel better (some affirmation in front of the mirror, push-ups, sit-ups)
    Try to make at least 5 times a day, but not more. This is an important thing.
    At first, you can say that it doesn't work, but after 2-3 weeks you will see, how the reality is changed.

Hope you transform your time to wonderful pleasure and you will like everything near you.
    Have a nice day.

Let me know what will changed in 1 month)

Mami1Maestra2 likes this.
  5. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Oct 17, 2019

I am going to be very honest and blunt. If you need the job, and the money you earn pays the bills, don't have your checks go to your checking account direct deposit. Take your check to the bank, cash it, hold the money. At home, divvy up where it will go, what it will pay for and buy. But most importantly, take a small amount out of consideration, and put it into an envelope for activities that will provide you some fun, maybe time with family at the movies, a day trip, whatever. This is what you are working for that is near and dear to your heart.

When you go home, make school out of sight, out of mind. If that means staying a little later at school, that can actually be liberating, as staff file out. You will know that as you pull out of the driveway that you are shutting that door, going home without a care about school for the rest of the night.

I always tend to have something going on that is involving me in my own education that is stimulating, whether it be free webinars, online courses that are low priced, or an evening grad class at one of the local universities. That is just for me - it stimulates me. If you can find something like that, you may find people that are supportive and stimulating, and also find that you feel better over all.

Bottom line, however, is that if you are just doing this for the money, make sure you actually get to handle the money and keep some aside for your own discretion.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  6. Mami1Maestra2

Mami1Maestra2 Rookie

Oct 17, 2019

I wanted to clarify that I LOVE teaching and I'm happiest when I'm with the students. My current school location is just dispiriting. Micromanagenent is at an all time high. Too many meetings, collaborative planning and PD's. Unprofessional administration that doesn't respect your expertise and treat every teacher like they just walked out of the college and like we know nothing and they are all-knowing...
    Unethical teaching practices, 0 autonomy...
    Sigh

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Oct 17, 2019

I never doubted that you loved teaching. However, if you need motivation to just make it until May, focusing on the paycheck may allow you to tolerate some of the stuff that is so dispiriting. The point is to tolerate the rest of this school year and then find something much better.

Mami1Maestra2 likes this.
  8. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Oct 18, 2019

I'd also recommend acknowledging the existence of the problems, but focusing on your most important tasks in the classroom and focusing on relaxing. I like what the singer Norma Zimmer once said, "Happiness is a choice, and I choose to be happy." Stressful occurrences will always occur. When we try to wish them away and hope for them not to occur, then their occurrence results in depression. Acknowledging that they will occur, then pushing forward anyway, lessens the blow.

Be like the snailfish. "The Mariana snailfish lives in the deepest caverns of the ocean, where the pressure is a thousand times greater than on the surface. The temperature there is near freezing, and there's no light at those depths....How do they do it? This snailfish possesses special features like flexible skulls and bones. Furthermore, they produce distinct chemicals that stabilize their constitution, so the pressure inside them is greater than the pressure outside them" [Turning Points Magazine, Oct. 2019:2-3].

9. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Oct 18, 2019

[QUOTE="Mami1Maestra2, post: 2099342, member: 101466"} Micromanagenent is at an all time high. Too many meetings, collaborative planning and PD's. Unprofessional administration that doesn't respect your expertise and treat every teacher like they just walked out of the college and like we know nothing and they are all-knowing...
    [/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, this is becoming the norm in education. Sad, but true.

Obadiah and Tired Teacher like this.
  10. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 18, 2019

Unfortunately, this is becoming the norm in education. Sad, but true.[/QUOTE]
    Yep! Pretty much.

You need to look for a new job in the spring and summer. You don't HAVE to stay there but you need to stick it out this year. If I wasn't happy, I would be looking.

11. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Oct 18, 2019

If you still love teaching, focus on the kids. Go to the meetings, go through the motions, but focus on the kids and making your classes the very best they can be. Close your door and teach. I am also at a very meeting-heavy school, and I have learned to say "no" to things where I can, and focus my energy on my classroom. Think of the kids who are learning, who need your positivity, who bring you joy every day. You will make it!

Obadiah and Tired Teacher like this.
  12. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Cohort

Oct 18, 2019

Being micromanaged with zero autonomy would be tough. I wouldn't like it either.
    If you need to hold out until May, try every morning to be thankful if you got a good night's sleep. I frequently go to a place w/ many homeless people who don't.
    Look every day for something kind you can do to make someone's life better. I don't know any greater joy than to know you have made a difference in someone's life. Even small kindnesses have big impacts on some people.
    That can totally make you have a rush of joy.
    Enjoy the time you have with your kids to the fullest. If state testing is stressed where you work, remember you won't be there next yr to deal with the fall out. :)
    Over the years, I have really found that not focusing on my own situation ( when it is not ideal), but to focus on the good around me and be thankful for what I have ( which is very little- I am a minimalist to the max.) I even have a tiny house. :) It's not on wheels though. :)
    If your admin is telling you what to do too much, just pretend he is a cartoon character going, " Blah, Blah, Blah!" It might even make you smile.
    I wish you the best. Stepping out of your comfort zone could lead you to a school less micromanaging. All schools have problems I think. Some more than others for sure though. I hope you find a school that is a right fit for you next yr. You can do it!

Missy, bella84 and a2z like this.
  13. a2z

a2z Maven

Oct 19, 2019

So true! Being absorbed in your own muck and mire just makes the issues seem insurmountable. Some things you just can't change immediately because other things would get much worse (example, quit means no income which means no rent money, etc). I am not saying that the muck and mire isn't horrible to deal with, but we feel what we focus on.

Tired Teacher and bella84 like this.