Really strange demonstration experience

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by 1stYearTeacher, Jul 30, 2007.

1. 1stYearTeacher

1stYearTeacher Companion

Jul 30, 2007

I had a strange demonstration experience today. I arrived 10 minutes early and they were running about a half hour behind so I waited for my turn. I did my lesson and about 15-20 minutes into it (it was suppose to be a half hour) the principal told me the children had to have lunch and go home. I was shocked that I didnt get to finish my lesson. Do you think it may have anything to do with the fact that the lesson didn't go 100% smoothly or that I made a spelling error on the board?

3. 1stYearTeacher

1stYearTeacher Companion

Jul 30, 2007

Also, she said thank you and then went on with the kids. I thought maybe she would say she would be in touch and have a few final remarks about my lesson etc.

4. KRaeLamb

KRaeLamb Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

5. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Jul 30, 2007

Was this demonstration a "try out" for a job? They really look for management ability as well as teaching ability right off the top. Did you have any kids really off task and talking through your lesson? I think most adults can forgive a spelling error, I've seen important businessmen write something wrong on a presentation easle but as we are teachers it may be more critical. You could acknowledge your error and correct it in front of the demo group, that isn't so bad. But you know what, there are other jobs out there. Everything we do as teachers is a learning experience. This is another one, whether you get the job or not. :love:

6. Lindsey241

Lindsey241 Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

I think the spelling error is what could have hurt your chances. It has been my experience that principals are sticklers for spelling and grammar. Ironically, it has also been my experience that a lot principals have horrible spelling and grammar skills themselves.

7. 1stYearTeacher

1stYearTeacher Companion

Jul 30, 2007

I wrote feel instead of fell.

8. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 30, 2007

It may have been a time issue. You said they were running a half hour behind, but some things, such as lunch and dismissal, are set times, regardless of if the principal is behind or not.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2007

I think the spelling error is a big deal.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2007

I think they would have cut into anyone at lunch/dismissal time. Those things are set in stone.

11. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 30, 2007

I agree! It could have been that since they were running behind in the first place, she really needed to move on with the kids and will be in touch with you at a later time.

12. KRaeLamb

KRaeLamb Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

Two things are likely to have happened....either the meetings were running late and the principal was annoyed and ready to get out of there to get the kids home....or, he couldn't see past your error.

They only reason I say this is because grammar, spelling and punctuation are the "hot spots" right now. But, feel and fell are easily misused.

Either way, I wouldn't worry about it too much. You got it out of your system and you're ready to go again!

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2007

They are????? Maybe when quickly typing but then there's always spell check.

14. mitten

mitten Rookie

Aug 22, 2007

Try not to beat yourself up over it. If you yourself are saying it didn't go 100% smoothly then when you get your next chance you will know how to better prepare.
    I could totally see how you accidentally used feel instead of fell (or the other way around). When you're nervous anything can happen...
    And, it could have always been a time issue which is out of your control.
    My only gripe is that I don't understand why administrators don't always use their manners. Is it so hard to fake politeness to make someone not feel self-conscious? :2cents:

15. 1stYearTeacher

1stYearTeacher Companion

Aug 22, 2007

I did end up receiving a rejection E-MAIL! from them last week. In it they said that I was their second choice and they loved me, my enthusiasm, etc and that they wanted to keep my application on file for a position if one is open mid-year as that usually happens. .. Needless to say, I was shocked.

16. mitten

mitten Rookie

Aug 22, 2007

I'm sorry I didn't look at your original post-date to begin with. However, that's good. Now you can be confident that you didn't do anything wrong to make them hurry you. I'm happy for you, but I also know it's disappointing to be second choice (twice for me. :()

Any new prospects?