Really? She found a mistake

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mrsammieb, Feb 12, 2015.

1. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Feb 12, 2015

So I as observed this week in math. My class is learning about line plots. I honestly thought the lesson was GREAT! I went nice and slow. I modeled, we worked in pairs. I use interactive notebooks, so I shrunk down a page of notes on how to read a line plot. I went over the notes and students highlighted important parts. I tell them to glue it in and I walk to my desk where my assistant principal is sitting to get the independent work, and she tells me there is a mistake on the notes.

Ugh! So I got the students attentions and asked them to find the error. I explained that many times you have to be careful with so much information that it is easy to make a mistake just like in the notes.

Now I am anxious. Will she mark me off on my observation for this error? My stomach is in knots. She doesn't really like me so much, I feel like she is always looking for ways to give me less than stellar marks. She's the one who proofreads my blog and tells me to rework things.

Wish me luck!!! I hope I find out today! I was observed on Tuesday!

3. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Feb 12, 2015

I would think you would be ok. You handled it well. Mistakes happen. Good luck! :)

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 12, 2015

I'd say it was the size of the mistake, and also the tone of how she told you about it. If it was a very small mistake (Ms. Teacher, one of the x's in 32 should have gone in 31) in a confidential voice, probably not a big deal. If it was a big mistake (completely botching the definition of a line plot or something) in a "scandalized" type of voice, I'd be worried.

With that said, I make a lot of my own material and it's not unusual to find mistakes. Crap happens, and the kids understand. It actually usually turns out to be a good teaching moment. It also helps that I often specify "I'm about to make a mistake, figure out what I did and why," so the kids are eventually always in mistake-catching mode.

Long story short... no one's perfect, and if your AP has any sense at all, she'll be aware that mistakes happen.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 12, 2015

You turned the error into a learning opportunity for your students, making it a scavenger hunt for the error. THAT is good work adapting when life throws a monkey wrench into your plans.

6. ArtTeacher01

ArtTeacher01 Rookie

Feb 12, 2015

Sounds like your principle might be a bit micro-managing. I'm she this individual never makes mistakes! :)

I would assume that your principle has bigger fish to fry than a typo on a document, but maybe not!

Adam

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2015

I agree. We all make mistakes and you handled it perfectly!

8. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Feb 12, 2015

During my first year, I told my students that Lance Armstrong was the first man on the moon while being observed! :p

It really wasn't a big deal. My boss said "Did you realize you said (and wrote!) Lance?" I laughed, said "No, I didn't. I'll correct it tomorrow." and we moved on. It won't be a big deal unless you worry yourself into making it one!

9. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Feb 12, 2015

LOL, I make errors all the time. It is how we learn.

You should have nothing to worry about, AT ALL...unless, the admin is out to get you....then they will/can always find something.

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 12, 2015

I for one would rather be told of an error than not, so I can get it fixed, and I've certainly pointed out typos that seemed likely to interfere with someone's message. It's possible that the assistant principal is like that too. In any case, it sounds like you handled it beautifully.

11. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Feb 12, 2015

I leave errors in my notes (except typos and similar). It's a great way to stop and emphasize material, plus (and most importantly) it reassures the kids that mistakes are ok. The sky doesn't fall.

12. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Feb 13, 2015

How did things go today? I wouldn't worry about it too much...I've never had a "perfect" lesson in my life. No one should expect that from anyone!

13. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Feb 14, 2015

I've had lessons flop while being observed. My principal cares more about how I handle things in the moment. Hopefully yours is the same way!

14. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Feb 14, 2015

Really the lesson was GREAT! I just have that feeling she is always "out" to find fault in me. I don't know why! I was so worried. She has given me 2's on each observation for things that were honestly not justifiable. I would just LOVE to hear something positive for once. I did get my observation back and I got all 3's. Whew. She didn't mention the mistake. So, whew! Really, who can be perfect. I don't want to be perfect.
    Thank you all for your support!

15. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Feb 16, 2015

I'm so glad it all came out ok!!! I'm waiting for my unannounced any day now. I'm so jumpy - anytime my classroom door opens I get a nervous feeling.

16. ArtTeacher01

ArtTeacher01 Rookie

Feb 17, 2015

BTW, I noticed you teach in Georgia. Part of the TKES system is to show growth. Perhaps she was tougher on earlier observations so her data shows that teachers are making growth...

Something to consider...

Adam

17. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Feb 17, 2015

I thought that too Adam, but seriously! It makes for nervous breakdowns!

18. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Feb 18, 2015

I was going to say it's in my nature to proofread -- I would have done the same if I'd noticed a mistake: mentioned it to you, but not held it against you (unless it was repeated or there were extensive errors). And your handling of the error seemed exactly right (in fact, I think teachers *should* occasionally insert errors to stress they can't rely on "official" sources being perfect. Textbooks will have errors as well (or even unfortunately, be biased in presentation).

Anyway, she sounds like someone who's strict and possibly pays attention to picayune details, but hopefully isn't out to get you personally.

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 18, 2015

http://m.memegenerator.net/instance/58067725

:D. I've had my 7 unannounced and I'm done for the year!

20. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Feb 18, 2015

We don't get formal observations once we get our continuous contracts.