Really Really Bummed....

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by Ctinevo1, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Ctinevo1

Ctinevo1 Rookie

Aug 18, 2006

Well I just got back from my interview. And it sucked. I don't think I'll get the position. The interview was rather short. How long to interviews last anyway? Basically it was a job share position and they only asked me 6 questions.
    tell me about yourself
    What qualities do you need to job share
    what subjects are you good at and willing to teach?
    if there was a behavior problem with a kid, what would you do?

Anyway there were 6 principals and they only asked me one question. They didn't even ask about technology, assesments, or curriculum! So i'm so sad right now because that was my last chance to actually get a job position. I'm so bummed right now!

3. cmc3

cmc3 Rookie

Aug 18, 2006

My interviews have usually lasted about 20-25 minutes, no longer than that. I'm a bit confused when I read that some interviews can last up to an hour.

If you displayed enthusiasm, concrete ideas, and specific examples when you answered, you will give a favorable impression to your interviewers.

4. genchi918

genchi918 Rookie

Aug 18, 2006

Don't give up yet. Did you feel happy with the way you answered your 6 questions. I also agree with cmc3, the longest interview I can remember was probably 30 minutes. The interview that I landed my job with was about 20 minutes and I think about 6 to 8 questions. I too get confused when I hear people go on interviews that last an hour. I hope you get the job

5. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Aug 18, 2006

With all the principals there maybe they were all looking at you as a candidate for their school? You never know?

6. cmc3

cmc3 Rookie

Aug 18, 2006

Do not lose hope. I have come to realize that the job hunt for a teaching position is a combination of timing, qualifications, and politics.

In my interview today, I got a list of the questions that were going to be covered but the instructional dean crossed off about three of them and took me on a tour of the school instead. She was the new dean and quirkier than my other interviewers. She really robbed me of my nerves though because she was so amiable. I was quite amazed. The sad thing is that this position was only available because a long-time teacher had finally decided to move to be closer to her family. That's actually a tough call to make.

7. teach57

teach57 Comrade

Aug 18, 2006

I'm there with you...

This week has been a complete roller coaster of emotions. I received two calls this week for interviews, the first 6th grade Science and the 2nd was for a 4th or 5th grade position. So I was excited. I thought the interviews went pretty well, not perfect though. Well...today, in a matter of an hour, I was rejected for all the positions because of "lack of experience." How annoying! How can I get experience if no one will hire me for an extended time. I still have two weeks to find a job otherwise I'm subbing. It will be financial tight if I sub, but what else can I do? So...I totally understand where you are coming from.

8. Ctinevo1

Ctinevo1 Rookie

Aug 19, 2006

Thanks for all the feedback. I thought I did an okay job. I was really nervous so I kinda bombed one of the questions. They asked me what I would do if there were behevior problems in my class. Of course that's wasy for me!! So I said I would give them a verbal warning, and if the behavior continues I would they would have consequences. If it gets worst I would contact the parents as well as talk to my administrator. Is that good? I forgot and should have said that I would put them on a separate behavior plan to motivate them! ahhhh. I think I'm just worrying about this interview so much. Last weekend I was depressed for not having an interview, and this weekend I'm depressed because I don't think I did very well.
    Teach57: Did they actually tell you, you had lack of experience?

9. Ctinevo1

Ctinevo1 Rookie

Aug 19, 2006

This is going to be a looonnggg weekend. I'm sitting here, and I'm just thinking about my answers yesterday. I don't think I did very well. Maybe I'm just hard on myself. I think I could have answered them alot better. but my nervousness took over! I wish I could have more confidence. I know others can get a job so easily. Why is i just so incredibly hard for me. This is one of the hardest districts to get into in my area. And of course I blew it. I got so close. Why? I seriously don't know why these things happen to me. How long does it take for them to check references? My master teachers said they will call me if the district calls. I don't think they will call. Okay my boyfriend keeps telling me it's over and of course I can't change what I said in th interview. My problem is that I dwell on it. And I will keep dwelling on it until I hear something. So it's going to be a long weekend for me. Its hard to not keep my mind it. Its just so important to me. Sorry to bore all of you. I'm just writing how I feel and I feel BLAH!

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2006

Who says it was your last chance?? The Sunday papers always have last minute listings!!

11. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Aug 19, 2006

alice-i love your positivity! can you send some good vibes my way??!! i have an inter. on mon. + i really want the job! thanks for being such a positive influence!!! -meri

12. Chiquiti

Chiquiti Rookie

Aug 19, 2006

The job hunt is not over until YOU say it's over. I'm in the same boat - I called the human resources office at the district I'd like to teach and I was told that a couple of principals came in to pull applications to interview, but I was not among those pulled. Nevertheless, I know there is a job out there with my name all over it!

Even if the school year has started, or is about to start, you have control over whether you will become a teacher or not. If you give up, then you will never teach. As long as you stay in there, you will get that chance. Try to look at each rejection as putting you one step closer towards that day when you'll hear "you're hired".

There will be classrooms that will open with a substitute teacher in front of the students, and there will be teachers who either chose to leave, have to move, or accept another position during the school year. In other words, there will be teachers hired after the start of school and into the school year. I am going to continue to apply for positions as I sub and tutor. Things may not happen in my timeframe, but I know they will happen. Hang in there!!

13. cmc3

cmc3 Rookie

Aug 19, 2006

Do your homework on the school/district. Interviewers are as impressed by the answers you give as the questions you ask. During my second interview, the assistant principal commented that I had done my research and came in very prepared. She involuntarily remarked, "Good question" a couple of times.

During my third interview, the dean remarked how thorough I was in my questions and I let her know that I had studied the school's website by commenting that I noticed a lot of the teacher's websites showed similar classroom guidelines/policies regarding management and expectation. I planned my answer to fit in to what I believed to be their school-wide management plan. She really liked that I had done my homework.

The downside is the school/district has to have a comprehensive website which is why I could be so thorough in my second and third interviews as opposed to my first. Show that you are interested in the district, the school, and contributing to its improvement. Take notes when they give you answers to your questions. I didn't do this the first or second time due to nervousness, but the third time I did though I was afraid it might be rude to not maintain eye contact with the interviewer. However, it shows that you truly are interested in what they have to say and consider it important to focus on and are willing to research more.

14. Ctinevo1

Ctinevo1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2006

Cmc3: What kind of questions did you ask that impressed them? I asked them about opportunities for professional growth. I

s it okay to ask them when they will come to a decision?

15. kermy

kermy Companion

Aug 20, 2006

that's always one of my questions whten they ask meif i have any. i was told it was ok. i also ask what other extra activites can i be involved in? they always like to know that your interested in that.

16. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Aug 20, 2006

I think that asking what the timeline is for decision making is completely acceptable. They know you are looking for a job, and they know that you may have other offers on the table.

My question is, how can you make a decision to take an aide position (which is what I am doing now), knowing that two weeks from now, a last minute interview, job offer for a full teaching position may come up. If I take the aide position now, can I gracefully explain to the super of that school that another school is offering me a full teaching position? I know that it probably won't happen, (I have only been offered two interviews thus far and both were for aide positions!) but what if it does? Do I take an aide position and forego a teacher position if it comes along, or do I say no thanks to the aide position and risk having nothing at all? I guess at that point I just sub, huh?
    Decisions, decisions! :) Isn't this fun?

17. cmc3

cmc3 Rookie

Aug 20, 2006

Ctinevo1: I went in with a total of about sixteen questions. Three or four of them were answered through the course of the actual interview. My questions were:

1. What type of induction program do you have?
    2. How does the department faculty work together to help improve student achievement?
    3. Why is this position available?
    4. What do you think are this school's greatest successes and greatest challenges?
    5. What opportunities are there for professional staff development?
    6. What opportunties are there for advisement or participation in extracurricular activities?
    7. (This one was specific to their school) I've worked with students who use something like the Jane Schaffer method of paragraph development. How can I learn more about instructing in it?
    8. (This was for a secondary teaching job) I only have a Preliminary Multiple Subject Credential. What grade levels will I be able to teach?
    9. What do you like best about working here?
    10. Can you give me an example of the type of parent involvement in this school?
    11. Is there a curriculum guide or map that teachers are expected to work with?
    12. Is there any opportunity for cross-curricular work for the students? (I created this question because I had done a successful English/History project in high school myself and was interested to see if it was still done.)
    13. What are the team members in this department like?
    14. What is the student community like?
    15. How are teachers evaluated at this school?
    16. What is the deadline for the hiring of this position?

Always, always ask the last question. They might give you a timeline of one or two weeks where they say you will hear from HR or from them. The first time I heard this, I got no reply. Even when I left a message at HR and emailed the principal under the guise of reiterating my interest in the position. I found out through the district's board documents that I had not gotten the job. The second interview, the principal said I should hear from HR very quickly because they were beginning the school year the middle of next week. I didn't hear back but because I had an upcoming interview and had to prepare, I haven't followed up yet.

Initially I was afraid to bring a lot of questions with me to ask but don't be. It really shows you are interested in their school and that you have done as much homework as you can. Some school websites have a lot of information. They will have individual teacher websites that you can access which I think helps. Others, only the district will have a lot of information and it will be general. If you want to find out more about the school, you need to adapt your questions and draw out information from them. Ask questions because this is your opportunity to get information and compare it to other schools you will be interviewed at so that you can see if this district is a good fit for you. You will come across as being self-assured, well-researched, and eager to learn more professionally.

18. kermy

kermy Companion

Aug 20, 2006

i'm in the same boat, kind of. i have been applying for teaching aides right now. i would take the aide job and gracously decline if a full time teaching job came alone. i really think they would understand!

19. 5edie5

5edie5 New Member

Aug 20, 2006

Never give up!

I have been teaching for 22 years. I still remember the tears and THAT feeling. No interview is perfect so don't beat yourself up over crazy answers.

I worked in a Catholic school for 3 years....I made $8,000 my first year. But I knew the goal was to get the experience that the better paying school districts were offering.

I never even applied in the district I have been teaching in for the last 19 years. I got the job because I interviewed in a neighboring town that did not have a position for me and one of the principals I interviewed with had a friend that needed a teacher....So you never know.
    Keep your chin up. The right job will find you if you keep yourself out there.

20. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Aug 20, 2006

So you think it would be ok to accept an aide position now (I have to answer by Monday) and then IF a full time teaching job came along I could then just put my cards on the table and let them know that I want to take the full time position? I would feel soooo guilty!:eek:

21. teach57

teach57 Comrade

Aug 20, 2006

I think you will be okay taking the position. If something better comes along, you can respectfully decline the previous position. They will understand because you ultimately want your own classroom.

22. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Aug 20, 2006

Looking in the want ads

Hi Aliceacc,

I looked on the Los Angeles Times Website and found 6 jobs I can apply for. I am also going to schools and dropping off my resume. Thank you for encouraging all of us. I will sub for 2 public school districts and Kelly Educational Staffing if i do not find anything.
    Terry Glass

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2006

You're welcome!!

Also check the actual paper. I know the NY Times and NY Newsday frequently have ads that don't appear on the website; I imagine that's also true with other papers.

Good luck!!!

24. Ctinevo1

Ctinevo1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2006

Thanks cmc3. I will write those questions down for my next interview.
    The problem is I critique myself too much like "I should have said this" "I shouldn't have said that". And it's driving me crazy. I keep thinking, are they going to call me? or no?!? I think it would be sooo cool if they call me next week. Have any of you thought you did awful on your interview and ended getting the job?

25. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Aug 20, 2006

I see Kelly Staffing listed, have any of you heard of source 4 teachers? I'd like some info if anyone has any!

26. cmc3

cmc3 Rookie

Aug 20, 2006

Ctinevo1: I honestly wasn't sure during my last interview whether or not I was doing so well. I know I was nervous but actually, I lucked out on my interviewer. I thought she'd be quite formiddable, but the truth was that she was very open. She accepted the fact that I would be a very new teacher but was confident that the other English teachers would be more than happy to help me out because they do something called horizontal and vertical tracking at the school.

These are things I discovered by asking questions. Sometimes you will have an interviewer who does like to talk about the merits of the school and will elaborate on what you think would be a very simple answer.

Don't critique yourself so much. Do so in order to reasonably analyze what you could do better next time. The interview process itself demands a lot out of you. You need to be able to apply your experience, knowledge, and qualifications in a well thought-out format almost completely on the spot. I know that I have inwardly breathed a sigh of relief after they had finished their questions.

To be honest, during my very first job interview for a retail position, before I even knew I wanted to teach, I did horribly on the interview. I was nervous, I bumbled and stammered, but I got the job. That was when I truly realized that I was really bad at interviews. I think I was very lucky to have been interviewed by the security leader rather than one of the department leaders. He probably felt very sorry for me but saw I was earnest about being a hardworking part of the team.

27. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Aug 20, 2006

Kelly Educational Staffing

The source for teachers is Kelly Educational Staffing. If you go on the Kelly Services Website you will find the nearest office of Kelly Educational Staffing in your area. You can also call your local Kelly Services Office and they can tell you where the nearest kelly Educational Staffing Office is located. Kelly Educational Staffing places substitute teachers in both private and public schools. They pay well and you can purchase health insurance from them. Good luck!

28. Clymontes

Clymontes New Member

Aug 21, 2006

What do you guys think about a thank you letter for the prinicipals that interviewed me? Should I send one? The only problem is (I know I'm stupid) that I kinda forgot their names!! I checked the website, but now I'm unsure. There were principals and asst. principals there too! I was nervous in there I didn't even pay attention to their names!

29. Ctinevo1

Ctinevo1 Rookie

Aug 21, 2006

Was it a huge panel? I just interviewed with a panel also, and I think I'm going to send a thank you email. Maybe you can call HR and ask them what the names are.

30. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 21, 2006

Ctinevo1....I have been following your job hunt progress and I am eager to find out if you got the job too!! Good luck this week!:)

31. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 21, 2006

Clymontes- Yes, send a thank-you note, that is a must! Write in the note why you think you would be perfect for the position again. If you were interviewed by a lot of people, you can just write it to "the interviewing commitee"...if not, maybe just write it to "The Principal and..." using their titles instead of names...it is better than nothing.
    Ctinevo1- I hope that this weekend wasn't too stressful for you. The only thing I can say is that interviewers know that you are nervous, so if you leave something out or fumble for the right words, they usually understand. I've been searching for the right job for 3 years now, and I always come home thinking how I could have answered at least one of the questions better. Maybe in a thank-you note you can tie in something that you forgot to mention in the interview...you never know, it might help!! Good luck :)

32. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Aug 21, 2006

Source 4 Teachers and Kelly are the same company? I had no idea!!!
    I just had an orientation at S4T and they pay only the rate that the school normally gives subs.

33. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Aug 21, 2006

Kelly Educational Stffing may be different. I thought you were asking about kelly Educational Staffing. Kelly pays the same rate as school districts do for subs. Anyway you could try them but it seems to me you already have a good lead. Good luck! Terry g.

34. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Aug 21, 2006

thanks - I need it!!! ;)

35. cmc3

cmc3 Rookie

Aug 21, 2006

Well, I'm not sure if it's too late but if you could call the district and maybe ask the office secretary for the names and addresses of the people on the panel, that would be good. At future interviews, don't be afraid to ask for a business card to take with you. They usually know it's either to write a thank you letter or to follow up.

36. To Teach

To Teach Rookie

Aug 21, 2006

NEVER EVER GIVE UP!

As the song goes, " The sun will come up tomorrow, tomorrow!"

37. Ctinevo1

Ctinevo1 Rookie

Aug 21, 2006

Okay one more question....should I email or write a letter? It's already Monday night and I had my interview on frida morning. I'm such a slacker!

38. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 21, 2006

Do both.

39. Ctinevo1

Ctinevo1 Rookie

Aug 21, 2006

By the way: How long after an interview does it take districts to check candidates references?

40. fuzzy

fuzzy New Member

Aug 21, 2006

it's a full time job

good luck. i've had many of the same problems described here. I've subbed and was told that the district hired subs. turned out they had 2 long-term ppl that were in my subject and took the open positions.

some district are required to post a position in the paper even if they already know who they want to hire...also they are required to interview a certain number of applicants, again, even if they already know who they want to hire

there's no use in beating yourself up about it....i've gotten jobs and been turned down, based upon lack of experience, having my master's, and subbing in the district

keep looking...some schools are ridiculous but remember, you can try and do your best...you never know

41. Ctinevo1

Ctinevo1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2006

Okay so I have semi-good news. After reading through these threads and getting ideas from all of you, I decided to email the principles in the districts to which I applied to. Well I got a response back from one principal. He told me he doesn't have an opening, but he knows a school that does. Well the thing is that this oepning is for a 7th grade, multiple subject class of 20 kids who are struggling in jr. high. He gave me the phone number to the principal and I just got off the phone with him. He told me the position is available because the old teacher is in a coma (How sad!). But he needs to talk to human resources and he'll call me back tomorrow. He says some of the kids have ADHD and ADD. I'm thinking I could teach that for a year (It'll be a challange) to get my foot in the door, and maybe get an elementary position the following year. Look I'm already making plans and he hasn't even interviewed me yet! LOL So we'll see what happens.

I haven't heard anythig from that interview on Friday. I did send the prinicpals a thank you note though. Hope it helps though!