Really mad about a radio DJ

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Emma35, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Sep 2, 2008

I listen to a certain radio station on my way home from work. Today the DJ made a really nasty comment that I really took offense to. He said something like "Well parents, school started today and now you all have free babysitting! Look what our tax dollars are paying for! Free babysitting!" OMG! I was so angry that he said that on air. I came right home and sent him a nasty email. I told him he was ignorant and he owed 1000's of teachers a public apology. I told him I have been teaching a long time and not once have a babysat a child, I TEACH!!!! So I turned the radio station on at home and listened and he never mentioned it nor have a received a reply back from my email! I'll let you know if I do.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2008

Sounds like maybe he lost a listener. Find a new station!

I'm sorry he said that. What a jerk.

4. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Sep 2, 2008

That is what I also wrote in my email. I said I took his station off my preset stations in my car! I guess after a long first day that is not what I needed to hear!

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2008

Emma-He was definitely a jerk! And I'm sure that he has lost more than one listener and probably received a lot of emails about his comment.

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Sep 2, 2008

What an idiot.

7. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Sep 2, 2008

Unbelievable. The radio station I ususally listen to on my way to work has DJs that just adore teachers. They have this contest thing where students and parents can nominate their teacher for a teacher of the week drawing to win a prize basket. Ususally this includes things like gift certificates to restaraunts, passes to the children's museum, class field trip to ______________, and sometimes gift certificate to the local teacher supply store. Other stuff sometimes gets added.

I'm so sorry you had to listen to this ignorant loser. Maybe he should come spend a day helping you "babysit". Nah, you'd just have to babysit him.

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 2, 2008

That was an ignorant comment.

One of the regional districts only go to school for half a day the first day. The DJ discussed that on air a few weeks ago and exclaimed, "Do teachers ever work anymore?! Gosh!"

His cohost corrected him...quickly!

9. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2008

"Never argue with a man who buys ink by the barrel" is an aphorism attributed to someone who actually did buy his ink by the barrel, Benjamin Franklin

it depends on the DJ and his management whether or not your protest falls on deaf ears or not
    if you can get more teachers to complain it may be heard but most DJs like the shock value of statements like this.
    Sad........ :unsure:

10. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2008

I don't listen to people talking when I drive. My own thoughts are far more interesting.

11. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2008

You should welcome statements like this on the air.

The attitude that teachers do "nothing" but babysit is not unknown, but doesn't frequently get bandied about in public. This is unfortunate, because it doesn't then get rebutted in public, and you can't rely on it being rebutted privately.

Radio DJ's do say things for the shock value, but keep in mind they're interested in having listeners. They are (or should be) rather pleased to have someone vehemently disagree with them. However, rather than writing an email, you might call.

Of course, in calling the DJ is largely in control, and you rarely see a DJ "lose" an argument -- he'll just cut callers off if necessary or rely on ad hominems. However, it's not the DJ you want to be talking to anyway, it's the listeners.

Maybe you could work with having him actually come in to a school to see what goes on. If he broadcasts from the school, it could both call attention to the school and his radio broadcast in a positive light. Depends on the DJ, I suppose.

Incidentally, is there any reason you can't say who the DJ is? He made a public statement, after all, and unless he's pretty local it shouldn't reveal much about you, should it? If you mention it here I'd certainly be willing to send an email, and I'm sure a lot of others would also.

12. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Sep 3, 2008

That stinks....I hate to hear things like that! But if it helps to brighten anyone's day....a local beautician (who happens to be my future aunt-in-law and is also a minister) put up a sign outside her shop that says "Please pray for our teachers & bus drivers" :) I thought that was really sweet.

13. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Sep 3, 2008

Haven't heard anything back from the creep. I just won't listen anymore. We do have another station in the area who really, really appreciate teachers so I will stick to that station!

14. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2008

Call that station and tell them why you chainged to them :D

15. becky

becky Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2008

Write a letter to the newspaper!
    I did that once, when a dj here made a terribly inappropriate comment about two teens killed in a wreck that month. Nothing changed, of course, but at least I got it off my chest. I bet you'll get lots of parent support.

16. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Sep 3, 2008

Hmmm...good idea. I might even call the really nice radio station and tell them what happened. I bet they put me on the air to tell about another station doing something wrong!:lol:

17. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 4, 2008

I think you should call the jerk and invite him to come to your classroom for a day. Call his bluff.

18. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Sep 4, 2008

I really like that idea!!!

19. SuzieQ

SuzieQ Companion

Sep 5, 2008

Teachers United!
    So what station should we write to? I will definitely back you up !

20. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 5, 2008

Did you send the email to just the dj or did you copy it to his boss as well? I'm sure he might be a lot more apologetic if the money man realized he'd just pi$$ed of a town full of teachers.