really long vent

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mrs. young, Aug 26, 2012.

1. mrs. young

mrs. young New Member

Aug 26, 2012

I'll try to make this brief . . .I need to get this off my chest. :)

I have been a sub in my district for 6 years and the last 2-3 years really staying busy in 5th grade. One teacher has a sick husband (liver transplant and cancer) and I was her ONLY sub. If I was in another classroom, the admin transferred me to her room. Partly because she was unable to leave lesson plans and I knew her class and routine so well. I also covered her long term leave for hubby's transplant.

She retired 3 weeks ago and I went in for an interview. I find out later that the principal did not want to hire me because I do not smile enough!! I am not an obnoxious fake cheerleader person! I think I save my energy for the classroom and when I am in the halls I am in 'off' mode. kwim?!?

I got the job and the principal tells a 5th grade team member that I really impressed him. He did not have to say that and it is out of character for him. (BTW I ROCKED the interview!! I had them all eating out of my hand and he called an hour later with the job offer. I started the next day with new teacher workshops)

This is getting longer than I thought . . .

I am thrilled to have this job. It is truely my dream job and I was prepared to wait 2 years for another 5th grade teacher to retire.

I have been getting mixed reactions from the rest of the staff. Most are thrilled for me, but I heard one comment last week that really made me mad! She is a snooty, rude lady and told me that I was the obvious choice. It rubbed me the wrong way (but it sounds silly now that I type it. you had to be there) Another teacher said it was best for everyone that I was hired since it was 2 weeks before open house and I knew the grade level so well. My point is that I really earned this position. It was not handed to me and I think many teachers think it was.

Kuddos to you if you made it this far. :) I needed to vent.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2012

Maybe it's getting lost in the translation, but it seems to me as though you're reading things wrong.

You WERE the obvious choice. You know the material, you know the kids, you know the school. To me that sounds like a compliment.

And, yes, it's good that you know all that stuff, since there are only 2 weeks to prep.

Both acknowledge that you've learned what you need to know to be successful in the job.

In this job market, I can't imagine anyone who thinks another person had a job handed to them. We all know how hard it is out there.

Your resume contained things the competition's didn't. So you were the obvious choice, and it's a good thing. Had you been a less impressive teacher, you would not have been given the chance to build your resume in such a manner.

Deep breaths. Go in there and show them all just WHY you were the obvious choice.

4. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Aug 26, 2012

Bottom line YOU HAVE THE JOB. None of the negative nellies sign your check and have no power over you. Now knock em dead.
    Congratulations. You worked for it and deserve it. Oh yeah, smiling will come a lot easier when they kids are yours.

5. cometclear

cometclear Rookie

Aug 26, 2012

The world is mostly comprised of extroverts. You will be judged by their standards and expectations. The ways you or I demonstrate enthusiasm will not click with them. They define enthusiasm by a big, broad smile and a lot of perky talking and body language.

You've got the job. Do the job you know you can do. Your kids will learn and they will like you. That is all that matters. What a couple of co-workers think of you pales in comparison.

6. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 26, 2012

Who cares what the other teachers are saying! YOU have the job!! When I was hired in my current school I was hired over teachers with 10+ years of experience in the district. It caused A LOT of waves and I know things were said about me. The bottom line was I applied like everyone else and the principal CHOSE me. I didn't have to apologize or defend myself because I didn't do anything wrong.

It sounds like you were the obvious choice, and that's a great thing! Enjoy prepping and have a great year!! It sounds like you earned it!

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2012

I agree with Alice that it sounds like you read more into the teacher's reaction, though we weren't there and the tone could have said more. You got the job. The principal ultimately chose you. Go in there and show those teachers why the principal chose you! Have a great year!

8. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 26, 2012

Treat the other teachers the way you want them to treat you, and ignore the snarkyness (whether real or perceived). Put your head down, and do your job to the best of your ability, and you will shine! As others have said, you got the job... now show everyone that you EARNED and continue to earn it! BTW - Congratulations!

9. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 26, 2012

I wouldn't think you being the obvious choice is a negative statement. In my opinion it means that it was obvious that they wold hire you, because you have earned it!

and whoever says anything negative about you, don't worry about. People will always have their own opinion, and not everyone will be happy for you, because they're unhappy in their own lives, and can't be happy for others.
    You're not there for the teachers, enjoy your reward (which you have earned), enjoy teaching and your students.

10. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Aug 26, 2012

DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF. No, I'm not yelling, I'm emphasizing. Don't ever listen to the negative vibe. There's plenty to go around. Ignore it, do your job the best that you can. Let that crap roll off your back. You are now a teacher. Congrats on getting the job. I trust that it wasn't just handed to you. Why would anyone in this market do that? They all know how you got it and if they don't, well Forget them too...

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 26, 2012

OK, so you unfortunately heard a couple of negative comments. Not everyone's going to like everybody. Just do your job the best you can, try to make friends if possible & that's all you can do. And yes, a smile here & there does go an INCREDIBLY LONG way & putting on a smile isn't being fake. It's being nice & cordial in the setting that one is in. Many times, personality wins over the person's knowlege itself, which may be kind of wrong, but it happens a lot.

My district used to have a director who never stayed on top of things nor wouldn't reply back to your emails if her life depended on it! BUT, she was very personable & the parents LOVED her, which means a TON, so because of that, she got by. I didn't know her that well, but the few times I spoke with her, yes, she's a nice person & I can see why many people liked her. If some people thought that was being fake, the main point is, she was a LIKEABLE person.

Good luck & enjoy! :)