really good book

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Cindy, May 25, 2003.

1. Cindy

Cindy Companion

May 25, 2003

I just finished a really good book. It's called In The Presence OF My Enemies. It's the story of Martin and Gracia Burnham. They were the Americans who were kidnapped by the Abu Sayyaf terrorist group. What an amazing couple. If you need something to read this summer I recommend this book.

3. cowboy02

cowboy02 Rookie

May 26, 2003

Mary Higgins Clark's, Where are the Children, is my all time favorite book and I am not really into mysteries!

4. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

May 26, 2003

My Sweet Audrina by V.C. Andrews is a great book. I haven't read it for a couple of years but I remember reading it quite a few times. I also enjoyed a couple of the Oprah's book club books... We Were the Mulvaney's and The Poisonwood Bible (a great book) are my two favorites on her list.:p

Does anyone know of or enjoy reading fiction or nonfiction books about the supernatural/ghost stories, etc.? Those types of stories have always fascinated me. I love to be scared and the mystery of the stories...

5. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

May 27, 2003

My favorite author is Patricia Cornwell. Unfortuntely, I've read everything she's written. I spend much more time waiting for the next book than I do reading one.

6. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

May 27, 2003

patricia cornwell

I am a kay scarpetto fan too!
    I love pete and lucy etc....

I cant quite understand how vc andrews is able to continue to publish books and i thought she is no longer living! hmmmm.

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 27, 2003

Nicholas Sparks is my FAVORITE!!! A must read is Bend in the Road... excellent book. I also enjoy the Chicken Soup books.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

May 27, 2003

Yeah, but you have to admit that V.C. Andrews' writing has really gone downhill since she died!

I love Diana Gabaldon...every woman out there has GOT to try Outlander...it is not an optional assignment! Tad Williams rocks...I can't wait until my kids are old enough to share the books too. Barbara Erkskine has some wonderful books too, but her later ones are really hit and miss. I loved The Far Pavillions, another not an option, E.M. Kaye I believe.

For the supernatural mystery fan, try "The Mask" by Dean R. Koontz, if you haven't yet. It is my all time favourite from the genre, though I loved "It"...oh, and the Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice.

Oh...okay, shutting up now!

9. Margo

Margo Devotee

May 27, 2003

Let's see, favorite authors:

Mary Higgins Clark
    Anne River Siddons
    Danielle Steele
    used to read VC Andrews - not anymore
    Maeve Binchy
    Rite Mae Brown and Lillian Jackson Braun for the lighter side, cat loving side of me
    John Saul if I am in the mood to be creeped out

I am currently reading Saying Grace by Beth Gutcheon.

10. Tara19

Tara19 Companion

May 27, 2003

My favorite books are any CHICKEN SOUP books, I have read tons of them!

11. Guest

Guest Guest

May 28, 2003

Margo, for the "lighter, cat loving side", pick up a copy of Tad William's Tailchaser's Song (I mentioned him before, but I was actually thinking of one of his series, not this book...). It is like a classic, fantasy novel...good vs. evil and all that, starring cats (including the mad hermit going by the name of Eatbugs). It was wonderful!

Oh, and another great book, for anyone who hasn't read it, is Marion Zimmer Bradley's Mists of Avalon. Oh, and The Green Mile, by Stephen King...and anything by Vonnegut, especially Welcome to the Monkey House (there is one short story in that one about a little orphan in Germany after "the war" who attaches himself to an American soldier, assuming that this soldier must be his father because he is black too, an amazing piece of writing...).

My favourites of all time, though have to be Yes, Minister! and Yes, Prime Minister! They are based on the British sitcoms of the same titles and are hilarious! So worth the effort of hunting them down!

12. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 28, 2003

TARA,
    Which one is your favorite Chicken Soup...favorites?

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 28, 2003

I have been keeping a diary which lists every book (and its author) which I have read since 1993. Beth Gutcheon is one of my favorite authors. Others include Susan Isaacs, Anita Shreve, Gail Godwin, Jane Smiley, Barbara Kingsolver, Elizabeth Berg ... and more. Keeping this record makes it easy to look up a favorite author whose name you've forgotten. I sometimes refer to it before going to the library. I love writing which illuminates the nature of people for me.

14. Tara19

Tara19 Companion

May 28, 2003

I have read lots and this is really a toughy but I would say it's a tie between Chicken Soup For The Teenage Soul (remember I'm still a teen), Chicken Soup For The Kids Soul (I read these to my class sometimes, and have read the whole book probably 5 times!), or Chicken Soup For The mother's Soul, which I just started readint his since I just had my baby 3 weeks ago(Read "Hi Everyone" on tecaher timeout)... What are your favorites? DizneeTeachR

15. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 29, 2003

Tara,
    I've read the Sister's Soul, Teachers, Mother's & Daughters, Romantic Soul. All Really good. I bought a couple while in TN on vacation. I have to read the Traveler's and 4th edition. My husband got for the Soul at Work. I'll probably read that as well.

16. Tara19

Tara19 Companion

May 29, 2003

It seems their addictive, ya know? Once I read one, I was hooked. I think they are such great books. Anyone else on here like Chicken Soup books?