Really don't know how to feel about this.

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by ecteach, Jul 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2013

I seriously doubt that this new mom went in and demanded that this is the plan that needed to be put in place. Even if she did, it's up to the principal to make these kinds of decisions. Clearly the principal is the one who dropped the ball and/or doesn't get it.

No parent should have to choose not to nurse because it might inconvenience their colleagues. The principal should have a better plan in place.

2. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Jul 31, 2013

I'm not saying she was demanding anything or that her choice to breastfeed is bad!!! I'm with you...this is on the principal. I'm just saying that the particular solution is going to create resentment towards the new mom. If I was the P this solution would be unacceptable.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 31, 2013

I think Caesar and myKroom are making the same point from slightly different angles: if the principal set this up without consulting either the mom or the rest of the staff, he's got some learnin' to do.

4. indigo-angel

indigo-angel Companion

Jul 31, 2013

I don't like that the principal is attempting to help this teacher at other people's expense. I can see this becoming an issue later on. What if she needs more than 20 minutes to pump? What happens when there is a sub, when a teacher has a meeting during planning, or that time becomes unavailable some other way? What now? A revolving door of people coming in each day? I would ask for compensation for that time. Can the principal not hire a part time assitsant for this teacher?

5. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Jul 31, 2013

I agree with this!

6. kab164

kab164 Companion

Jul 31, 2013

You only get 30 mins of prep a day? My last school was similar but now I have a LOT more. I won't say how much, but I think it's way more than most schools. We get paid less than other local schools but have probably five times the prep time. It would be a hard situation to be in for all of you teachers!!

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2013

This seems weird to me that she can't start "conditioning herself" now to pump at these times. I mean how new is this baby... I know she wants to keep her supply up, but man with this kind of time I'm a little shocked. I would say new mom pump usually between 2-3 hrs. So if she had someone cover at 9:30 (say pumping take 30mins). Then at lunch and then during her planning...I'm totally confused...

8. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Jul 31, 2013

I don't know a lot about breastfeeding. I do know the baby is only about 7 weeks old. Would that make a difference? Maybe it won't end up being that bad. Our principal might just be planning for the worst case scenario. The teacher is not the type of person who would take advantage of this. I am not sure how she feels about it. I just can't see why one of the three principals can't cover.

9. kimberlyalice

kimberlyalice Rookie

Aug 2, 2013

I breastfed both of my babies for 2 years. If the baby is only 7 weeks old, that seems very young to return to work. She probably is breastfeeding every 2 to 3 hours because the baby is not supplemented with solids. Solids usually begin around 16 weeks to 6 months and then breastfeeding can decrease some hence less pumping.

I didn't pump at work, I didn't need to. I feed the baby first thing in the a.m., before I left work, as soon as I got home, before bed, and middle of the night...so 5 feedings from the source, but the baby was on solids and could have a bottle of formula at the babysitters before nap.

Because the baby is so young, the mother can have severe breast pain if she doesn't pump when she's full. The pumping would relieve the pressure that can quickly turn to stabbing pain with sweating. If I were her, I'd try to get the 3 months maternity leave and come back when the baby is sitting up and starting solids.

If the teacher has to return, she probably won't need the 9 & 11 pumps for long. However, the principal should have an aide or teacher with more than the 30 min planning watch the children while they are practicing a skill the teacher just taught.

Just my perspective of the situation. Let us know what happens!

10. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Aug 2, 2013

I adjusted my pump schedule. I pumped at lunch, on my planning, and right after school. I would have died if others had to readjust their schedule for me. My principal did have to buy me blinds for my classroom and he had to have a discussion with the janitor about unlocking my door.

11. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2013

mrachelle...I guess that's what I was thinking the 9am on depending on her drive I can see, but the need for an 11 when her lunch is not that far from the 9am one.

12. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 2, 2013

You really have to stay on schedule while pumping if you are going to keep your supply up. I exclusively pumped for both my children, and at seven weeks I had to pump every 2-3 hours around the clock. I don't think I was able to spread my pumps to every 4 hours until about 4 months.

I really hate that this is such a big issue. I've never understood why the logistics of being a working mom and breast feeding are so complicated. You shouldn't have to worry about how you are feeding your baby, who you are "inconveniencing," or how others feel about it. I've said it before, but I am so glad I work in a school with teammates and an administration who are so supportive of mot only me, but all breast feeding working moms.

13. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2013

Hmmm...I'm a little shocked by this response. I'm not sure why someone's choice to have a child should require that I be stripped of my planning time or otherwise inconvenienced. It's one thing to think employers should be able to effectively provide time to milk, but quite another to think, "Don't care that I take your planning and I don't care that you care." Just how much can a colleague be inconvenienced before you care? And does it apply to just breastfeeding, or also to other necessary elements of mothering?

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 2, 2013

I had an para once who would leave the room 4 times a day to pump. Neither the other paras or myself ever had time to take a break because she would always be gone. I think she took advantage of the situation. I do agree that it's the person's choice to do this and sometimes it's not fair to others to give up their time and not be compensated. If I was asked to do it and was going to be paid extra I'd jump at the chance though!

15. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 2, 2013

Agreed.

16. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2013

Coming in very late into this, but I feel like she has every right to pump in school, the school shouldn't have the right to inconvenience others because of it.

17. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Aug 2, 2013

As a parent of a student in the class I would not be happy about the teacher being out of the room with different people covering each time. There needs to be one (two at the most) person consistently covering the class.
    I breastfeed both of my children, however I didn't return to school until they were 6 months old. At the time, I was able to use my sick leave to take time off (plus summer break) and continue having health insurance. Now, in my system, you have six weeks (42 days after giving birth, not 6 school weeks) from the day the child is born to return to work. If you have the baby in the summer you have to return to work when school starts if the baby is 6 weeks old. I have many coworkers that carry the family health insurance, so taking more time off wouldn't work for them.
    This is a tough situation, but I agree with the original poster that a principal should be covering the class.

18. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2013

I didn't read agdamity's post the same way JustMe did. I read it as: Nursing mothers shouldn't have to inconvenience anyone because the school (any employer) should already have a mechanism in place to address this issue.

I do think that every parent has the right to decide how to feed their kids, regardless of anyone else's input or opinions. The fact is that nursing mothers have no other option than to pump at work (or bring their babies to work and feed on the spot). I don't think it's right that this principal is setting up a plan that will definitely inconvenience other teachers, but at the same time that's not the nursing mom's fault and shouldn't cause her to change her decision or be pressured/guilted into changing it.

In our country, we don't set nursing moms up for success because we demand that they return to work after just a few weeks. In other countries, where parents are given months or years off when a child is born, this probably isn't an issue.

It honestly upsets me that this is a problem in this day and age.

19. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 2, 2013

How much time under law can new mothers take off of work after giving birth and have their job protected?

20. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2013

Agreed.
    As a mom who nursed everything gets out of whack when you go back to work. You need to find what works best. I was just thinking that except for the 9-10am she has quite a few times that are her own time that she should be using. I know our babe didn't eat very well when not with me, but babe didn't starve (which everyone told me...but still made me feel guilty) just made up for it. So my suggestion of getting a routine at these times now would be beneficial for her body. You can't just start pumping at times and think it's going to work either. You get a routine, morning, lunch, nighttime pump. Her little one is going to have to learn a routine as well..
    Hope it goes well and the mom can continue to pump!!!

21. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2013

FMLA allows for 12 weeks, but not everyone is eligible for FMLA. Besides that, FMLA isn't paid time off, so a new parent might not be able to afford to take off all 12 weeks.

22. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2013

It all depends... new teachers... not much unless they take unpaid time because FMLA doesn't come into play. It really depends on each district. Plus districts have different rules on what that time is. I had babe over a break and that break counted has my maternity leave time even though it was time the whole school was off... which was very weird to me.

23. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 2, 2013

Do most people think that time given off of work should be paid(for breast feeding)? Do we think an employer should be required to give a year off of work, paid, for breast feeding?

24. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2013

I think that new parents should be given a fair amount of paid time off from work. Half-pay would even be fair, to me. I don't think it should be for breastfeeding, per se, but for infant care.

There are two reasons this will never happen:
    1. Men aren't typically the primary care providers. In our country, if it doesn't apply to men, then it's not a priority. Fact.
    2. People without children might fight this sort of policy change because it doesn't and won't apply to them. I don't know of a solution to this other than to offer any employee some sort of paid sabbatical.

25. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 2, 2013

How much time are you(general you, not just Caesar) thinking mothers/fathers should be able to take off from a job to care for a newborn, paid? And by this I mean mandated by law, not working for a company that sees this as a value.

26. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2013

I think 9 months paid (even at half-pay), with an option for extra time (maybe 3 months?) unpaid.

27. Ted

Ted Habitué

Aug 2, 2013

How is that a fact?

28. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2013

Caesar for President...LOL!!!
    I would that would be awesome...but even if you could ease back in. I know some jobs you can work from home (not teaching), but even if you could go to half days for while to get you and you lil one used to the schedule. It is daunting to think your with them and then gone...

29. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2013

30. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 2, 2013

I am interested if any and how many other countries have set this into practice as mandated by law.

31. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2013

See my previous post. The only countries that don't have paid parental leave are Lesotho, Swaziland, Papua New Guinea, and the US.

32. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 2, 2013

33. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2013

:confused:

34. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2013

Caesar...my fam member's wife died having baby...so he was the primary care giver (I know it's not the usual). He had to make some tough choices for his older children and the baby. I'm sure he could've used the time to prep everyone for what was about to come their way... Let's just say good thing family ties are strong!!!

35. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Aug 2, 2013

I am not really sure what the answer is to time off after having a baby. I do think that if I have the sick leave available (because I earned it) then I should be allowed to use it for maternity leave. In my system you can not use your sick time as maternity leave once your baby is 43 days old. It seems unfair when it is my sick time which I earned as a benefit of my job.

36. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2013

Interesting Curious....
    I know I used some of my sick time during maternity leave, but then saved some for appts and if baby or I were sick or babysitter sick...

37. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 2, 2013

What type of job does this apply to in Mexico? Governments jobs only?

38. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 2, 2013

This makes sense to me.

39. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2013

And in my county, you're forced to use your sick time before your maternity leave. So yes, I'd get an extra five paid weeks... but then I'd have no sick time once I went back to work. A lot of moms struggle with this.

40. bison

bison Habitué

Aug 2, 2013

I absolutely think we need more paid and unpaid parental leave like most other developed countries. Paternity leave as well as maternity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.