Really cool mock election idea

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mmswm, Oct 23, 2008.

1. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 23, 2008

I LOVE my coworkers. The LA and SS faculty have organized a mock election for the school. We've all seen this done a million times, so what makes their election so great? All of the students have to register to vote. If they don't have their voter registration cards, they don't get to vote on the day of the mock election. I think that's really cool.

3. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Oct 23, 2008

We are going to do something similar, except they aren't registering and don't have a card.... but maybe we should! If only it was online somewhere to print off!

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 24, 2008

We aren't doing anything but I LOVE that idea!!

5. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Oct 24, 2008

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 24, 2008

That's cool :) I'm not sure where they're getting the actual cards, but I just really loved the idea of a voter registration process...after all, that's the way it works in the real world. If you don't register, you don't get to vote.

7. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Oct 25, 2008

Next week, our school is learning about elections by having a mock election between "Duck" and "Teacher" in the books Duck for President by Doreen Cronin and Betsy Lewin and My Teacher for President by Kay Winters and Denise Brunkus.

We will have a short assembly on Monday to have the books read to the students. Then "Duck" and "Teacher" will give short campaign speeches.

On Tuesday we will have the "Convention" with signs that students make supporting their candidate.

On Wednesday each student will "vote" in their classrooms with the votes counted and tallies sent to the office.

Then the following week, we will followup with a mock election of the real candidates.