reality vs fantasy

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by MissKinderK, Oct 16, 2010.

1. MissKinderK

MissKinderK Rookie

Oct 16, 2010

Any cute ideas to introduce the concept of reality vs. fantasy? I am going to read a fall-related book because that is the theme right now, and create a T-Chart graphic organizer with the headings reality & fantasy. We will discover the parts of the book that are realistic and the parts that are fictional. Any ideas on how to extend it from there?

Thankssss:D

3. Securis

Securis Cohort

Oct 16, 2010

I do this creature drawing with elementary age kids. First we talk about real creatures and the parts they have. Lion's have a tail, and whiskers, etc. Bird's have feathers and a beak, etc. All "living" creatures.

Then we discuss imagination and creatures that do not exist. Dragons, unicorns, etc.

After that, I have them list parts of creatures that we discussed. I usually make the list age+1, so 6 details for K and 7 for 1st. They also can add personal details not on the list if they like.

I get volunteers using a guess the number I'm thinking of method which amounts to boy/girl/boy/girl if I can manage it. It's a subterfuge but it's also a game.

Once the list is established, I have them draw the creature with all the parts listed plus the ones they want to add.

A list looks like:

1. Big Belly
    2. 4 heads
    3. A bird beak
    4. Furry
    5. long neck
    6. horns

Markers, crayons, and pencils on standby and they draw. After they've mostly committed to a drawing, which for some doesn't resemble much on the list very well, I do my own drawing on the board and allow them to copy it if they want.

4. MissKinderK

MissKinderK Rookie

Oct 17, 2010

thank you, that's a cute idea.