Reality Check

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Been There, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Been There

Been There Habitué

Jul 22, 2018

Thanks for letting me know! It should work now.

2. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Jul 22, 2018

thanks! that is an interesting read. Such a nice clear way of organizing different ways to communicate

I do hear once in a while people accuse each other in Passive-Aggressive way of communicating. And I feel they are not right. Now, I'll have this check list to refer to

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 22, 2018

I appreciate you sharing that. I think it is beneficial information. My concern with its relevance to this particular forum, though, is that it mentioned body language such as gestures, eye contact, and posture as being big parts of communication styles. I don’t remember seeing anything about tone of voice, but I’ll add that as well. All of these things are aspects of communication that we lose when communicating online in print. I think many people on this forum are often at least initially misunderstood or assumed to be more aggressive or passive aggressive than they are being simply because we are unable to receive the full form of communication. Outside of the specific words used and maybe an occasional emoji, we have no idea what body language or voice tone is being used to send the message that we are receiving. I think we often infer the body language and voice tone incorrectly, and I think it would behoove us to pause and reflect with an open mind before making assumptions about how one is communicating here.

Been There, MrsC and futuremathsprof like this.
  4. Been There

Been There Habitué

Jul 22, 2018

My exact sentiments! Communicating in print is sooo unidimensional, I find it to be stifling at times! No wonder people have to insert an apologetic statement to avoid offending others or a "haha" to prevent some from taking an intended joke too seriously. I think we need an emoji of a dog on its back with feet in the air! Thanks for keeping an open mind.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  5. That Business Guy

That Business Guy Rookie

Jul 22, 2018

Are you seeking any advice that aligns to education? Not really sure what you’re trying to accomplish.

6. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Jul 23, 2018

this is so true. and it does surprises me to find that on the forum of teachers. I keep hoping we (teachers) are supposed to be more open-minded and divergent thinkers than general population due to our profession oh well, I'm sometimes called too idealistic :)

Been There and Upsadaisy like this.