Realistic Fiction Picture Books

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by S Dubb, Nov 17, 2013.

1. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

Nov 17, 2013

Greetings, everybody. I'm going to be doing a project with my third grade students where the end result has them writing their own realistic fiction stories. I plan on exposing them to lots of realistic fiction books before we begin so we can explore the elements that make a realistic fiction book. The only problem is, I don't know what books to get!

I'd like to get "one-a-day" books. In other words, I'd like to be able to read a book each day to them that we can start and finish in that day (no chapter/lengthy books). I'd also like for them to be picture books that are on or around grade level.

Our school uses a Harcourt series, so I do have access to stories like Pepita Talks Twice, Allie's Basketball Dream, Turtle Bay, The Talent Show, etc. I'm looking for stories along these lines, if anybody is familiar. Even if not, any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

3. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Nov 28, 2013

The Sandwich Swap
    Ben Rides On
    The Can Man
    Each Kindness
    The Name Jar (it is lengthy)
    A Day's Work
    Nadia's Hands
    My Rotten Red Headed Older Brother
    Mr. Lincoln's Way

These are books I read to my 3rd graders for their response to literature. The Can Man and Ben Rides on were their favorites. Ben rides on is pretty short and simple but it has amazing vocabulary.

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 28, 2013

I am in favor of realistic non-fiction, especially in Picture Books. I have a hard time reading about animals that talk and live in houses with kitchens.

5. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Nov 28, 2013