Real low Reader

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MissH225, Mar 13, 2009.

1. MissH225

MissH225 Comrade

Mar 13, 2009

I have a 4th grader who is reading at a mid/late first grade level. Probably around guided reading level H/I. Luckily she still likes to read and isn't discouraged by the fact that she is such a low reader. She does have an IEP.

I have decided I really want to work with her intensely every day to help her improve in reading. Any suggestions on what to do? I was thinking doing some sight word work and making a mini personal word wall. I also got some poems that we can read through and talk about/highlight different blends.

She will say the beginning sounds of words but not look at the whole word and won't realize the word she says doesn't make sense. I was thinking for this covering up parts of words and getting her to guess/predict what word would make sense.

Any suggestions?Thanks!

3. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Mar 13, 2009

I think you have some great ideas! I think the poem reading is important to build sight word recognition and fluency. You could have her underline word wall words or highlight those words. Maybe cloze activities that use a high-context passage/sentences and cover up all but the first letter/blend in words. If you google Dolch Kit, you'll be able to find a website with a great practice book of Dolch words and phrases as well as games to help reinforce the learning.

4. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Mar 13, 2009

I agree that these sound like great ideas. You may also want to use the poems to work on fluency. Timothy Razinski is an excellent source to use with this strategy!

5. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Mar 13, 2009

I believe there are books on this site you can print out to help. Also try Reading A-Z.

I would do the following:

1) absolutely her own set of sight word flash cards. You could staple together 2 file folders to make it 3 sided, laminate well, put the alphabet across the top. Make small cards with velcro on the back, and velcro in the file folders. So you can change the words out as needed. Once she masters a word on her word wall, it could be put in a stack w/rubber band in her desk. Give her about 6-8 sight words a week, and review all the cards everyday. Takes about 2 minutes.

2) review phonics sounds every day. Much like reviewing the sight words. You can purchase a card set with the letter, and on the back a picture of something starting with that sound. Gradually add in tougher blends and digraphs.

3) print out books from online sites that are at her level of reading - she should be reading 2-3 of these books every night at home and earn rewards for a certain number of books read. I have parents sign a reading log, the child gets a sticker for every 5 books read, and a sticker chart w/a small reward when the chart is filled.

4) have her memorize songs/poems - I also use Bible verses. I teach one a week. She will learn by repetition. Then you can make her a folder with all the songs/poems in it. My young students learn the song, then they "read" the song from their books. Very encouraging to them and soon they really are learning the words and are very proud.

I have found these ideas to be very helpful over the long term. It is like a constant addition of the building blocks she needs to get caught up.