Real Life Geometry Class Idea?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by TxMaThTeAcHeR, Aug 12, 2010.

1. TxMaThTeAcHeR

TxMaThTeAcHeR Rookie

Aug 12, 2010

Hi again all... Sorry to be posting again, but just need to bounce some ideas off people. I am considering teaching a real life geometry class, and wondering if anyone has any experience teaching a class like this and how you went about it... the one I will be teaching has to be kind of project based..? Any input would be wonderful :)

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2010

No, I've never even heard more of it.

Can you tell us a bit more??

4. TxMaThTeAcHeR

TxMaThTeAcHeR Rookie

Aug 12, 2010

It'd be dealing with the "real life" aspect of geometry, more than the just "mathy" aspect. It'd be doing a lot with area, perimeter, shapes, ect, and a lot of it would be project based. I am teaching at an alternative school and have to come up with my own classes, and because the kids are ones that more than likely won't be going to college, I need to do something that they could possibly relate to and get them through the class.... Haha. That was kind of rambling, but does that help?

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2010

Our geometry kids do a project each year. They choose the dimensions of a room, and have to "shop" online for paint, window treatments, flooring, and furniture, and do a floor plan on graph paper.

You could do a lot with trig.

Sorry, busy day; my creative juices are simply not working today.

6. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Aug 13, 2010

My friend teaches geometry and he does a house project out of a shoe box. Maybe something along those lines?

7. Chalk

Chalk Companion

Aug 13, 2010

Go outside and do the flag pole height lesson. It was one of my favorites form HS. You can even have them calculate the shadow angle for the given time of year and time of day so you can factor it into the calculations for the height of the pole.

8. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Aug 14, 2010

I teach Landscaping and we use a lot of geometry in figuring materials needed - mulch, bed edging, landscape fabric, etc. This might be a good practical project for you to work on with them.

9. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Aug 14, 2010

To teach reflection and angles you can do either billards or mini golf. I had my students work in teams one year to create mini-golf holes in the woodshop. They then had to mark the edge of the hole to show ways that you could get a hole in one bouncing off 1 side, 2 sides, 3 sides and 4 sides and we tested it out. We made a little course and had the other classes come in and play mini-golf :).

We also did some design work with waterslides and rollercoasters by testing how far a marble could go up a pipe after he had gone down (slope, distance) and then created our waterslides.

Others have already mentioned some of the other projects we did:
    - designing a bedroom with all the furniture
    - landscaping a park
    - measuring flag poles outside using trig

You could also get in to building scale models of things.

I think it would be a really fun class to teach. I'm sure as you get in to it you could even have the students start thinking about real life applications and build projects from there.

10. mizzkaren

mizzkaren Rookie

Aug 14, 2010

TxMath, I will be student teaching for the first time this semester at The Project School. Haha...it's actually called "The Project School." I think it will be really similar to what you are going to be doing in this type of math class you may teach. I think it will be a lot funner applying the "real life" stuff to it. It has grades K-8, and I haven't figured out yet what two grades I will have.