Real Lessons vs. Mock Lessons

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Mldouglas, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Mldouglas

Mldouglas Comrade

Jun 4, 2008

I have a question. I have applied for a full time position that is going to be part time 1st grade teacher and part time 1st grade reading intervention teacher. I am in the process of putting together a mini portfolio that is tailored to these particular areas. However, I did my student teaching in 2nd grade. I did do a six week practicum in a 1st grade classroom but did not save any of the lessons that I did because they were all built around the schools reading basal and I figured that they would be outdated. I got on my states department of education website and printed off a copy of the academic standards in reading and math for 1st grade. So what I was thinking about doing is putting together a reading lesson and a math lesson to include in the portfolio. So having said that, do you think it is okay to put in lessons that you have not actually tried out with kids in a classroom setting? Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated!!

Mldouglas

3. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Jun 4, 2008

I don't see anything wrong with it,they don't really know if you used it or not.The only reason it is better to have tried out the lesson is it gives you an idea of what works and doesn't work in your lesson plan.

4. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Jun 4, 2008

I agree. I've put together model lesson plans before and they didn't know I didn't do them with my students.

5. awaxler

awaxler Comrade

Jun 4, 2008

Yes, it's fine. They will want to know that you can create lessons for 1st grade. I would also put in a couple of your 2nd grade lessons that you did with examples of student work from those lessons.

6. Mldouglas

Mldouglas Comrade

Jun 4, 2008

Thanks for all of your advice

Thank you everyone for all of your advice. I am putting it to good use. I am going to pick one state standard for 1st grade in reading and one in math.

Mldouglas