real interviews

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Mere17, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Mere17

Mere17 New Member

Aug 16, 2007

i heard that some districts have to interview so many people by law for a job...is this true? if it is i think i might be that interviewee-i have an interview on friday and school starts the next week! also, they called to set up the interview early wednesday morning, so i didn't know why they would schedule the interview for late friday evening. i'm just so frustrated that i'm not being taken seriously...im know that i am a good teacher and it just sucks because i know absolutely no one who can get me in any district. i just want a chance to prove myself! i think there should be some kind of working interview where you have to interact with kids! grrrr :mad: please let me know if you have any insights! thanks!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2007

I don't know of that law in my state- they have to POST the jobs but don't have to interview (for instance they may fill the job in house but some positions need to be posted regardless...) I don't know about your state but if you have an interview, go for it-even if you think it's not really a job possibility. You may just knock their socks off so much that they NEED to hire you.

4. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Aug 16, 2007

In my state they do a lot of panel interviews (60 this year) and then pick from that pool. But that was in MAY! A lot of people from that pool did not get hired-about 30. After they do that, they do not HAVE to interview, but must post the positions. So, you may have a GREAT chance-they may have gone through the pool already and decided none of them will work and are starting with fresh people!!!. I would think that at this late date, the principal is REALLY looking for someone because he could have just placed anyone in there already! Also, at this time of year, they have meetings all day-so the late night meeting is probably all that would fit!!!! GO KNOCK THEIR SOCKS OFF!!!!!!:2up:

5. IloveKinder

IloveKinder Rookie

Aug 16, 2007

Yes this is true in Delaware I can tell you from experience that I have been one of those interviewees...and yes...it really sucks. I didn't mind the first one I did because I knew the situation going into it and I was a new teacher who needed practice interviewing. Some principals have actually been very honest in telling me that although there is a position open that there is someone interviewing that had the job last year or something like that, but most of them do not. It makes you feel like you are a bad interviewee. Anyway, yes they have to post jobs if they don't fill them in house and they have to interview so many people even if they know one of them will probably get it. That's the way it is here anyway. Sorry I can relate on this one BIG TIME!

6. historygrrl

historygrrl Rookie

Aug 16, 2007

In CT, I think it depends on the union contract with the district. Some contracts require a district interview a certain number of people, while others just require the job be posted, regardless if a person is already waiting in the wings for the position. It does stink because you don't always know ahead of time what positions are already "filled" before being posted. You spend a ton of time putting together a nice application packet to find out it was pointless - it's frustrating to nth degree.

7. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2007

In my district the job is offered in house, then in district. If no-one takes it, then it's posted.
    My district also has a 3 tierd interview process. First interview is with a panel of teachers and administrators. Second part is a teaching portion where you teach a lesson to a group of students as the panel watches on.
    Third tier is an interview with the super and assist super. Usually only one or two candidates are sent to that interview.

8. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Aug 16, 2007

Induction is next week in our school and when I went through, they were hiring people and sending them right over to induction. Even on the last of the three days.
    I also know a friend that was hired the Friday before school started.
    My point, don't think that it is too late!

9. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

Aug 16, 2007

From my experience..yes they have to interview so many people where I will be teaching. I got hired on the spot today, and the principal said "technically he had to interview 2 more people." But it would just be a formality and that I had the job. I felt bad for those people who interviewed after me....

10. Mere17

Mere17 New Member

Aug 17, 2007

thanks so much for all of your help!! i'm def going to go in with a positive attitude, but a realistic one! i'll keep you posted! :)