Real Housewives and Austen

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by jen12, Jun 18, 2013.

1. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Jun 18, 2013

I'm reading Northanger Abbey and I was just thinking about the focus on manners in the book. Then last night, I was watching The Real Housewives of Orange County and thinking they could use a good dose of Austen's focus on proper social interaction. I rarely watch Real Housewives because I don't find it entertaining to watch a group of women who hate each other. On the other hand, there are some serious moments in OC where it's like...yeah...that's what it's like here. :whistle:

Couldn't people in general benefit from a return to rules of etiquette?

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2013

Which rules of etiquette, though? I think some are just ridiculous. I remember in sixth grade we didn't have social studies because the teacher decided to teach etiquette instead. This was in the early nineties and the book she used was quite dated. I remember the chapter on gloves...as though we were all wearing ladies' white gloves to social functions. :huh:

But general manners, yes.

I've only seen an episode's worth of materials pieces together from the Housewives. It was the one with Nene (sp?) on it and it was a long time ago. That kind of entertainment just goes all over me!

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2013

A bunch of housewives who actually had meaningful lives and who were kind, upstanding citizens who had manners, poise and class wouldn't bring in ratings. Drama sells.

5. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Jun 18, 2013

JustMe, I don't mean archaic rituals. I mean the kind of thing that should be common sense, like not talking over others and refraining from name calling.

6. Alesia

Alesia Companion

Jun 19, 2013

I agree with czacza, no one would watch if the women on these shows acted like they had sense.