Ready to throw in the towel

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by runsw/scissors, Apr 28, 2013.

1. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 28, 2013

And it makes me want to cry. :( I have been job hunting and interviewing for three years now. I took the leap of faith last spring and left my position. I have filled out countless applications and gone on five different interviews (which doesn't look like much here in print, but five interviews in three years is telling) and they have all turned out the same; "We have offered the position to someone else because..." I have rewritten my resume, culled new letters of reference, widened my search, and nothing. No one wants me. The market is over-glutted (is that a word) and apparently I am a mediocre teacher at best. I honestly can't see myself doing anything other than education, but I think it's time to close the book on this career. I just don't know anything else, and it's killing me.

3. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Apr 28, 2013

Keep the faith RWS!
    Things can be different, and IF you decide to quit looking, how about starting networking with those who are in the same boat? Y'all can start a tutoring program, or some kind of business going about education. How about some computer programs for education? I am pretty sure y'all can find some way to bounce back, BUT with God's help. You have to believe, work at it, and things will get better.
    NEVER GIVE UP on yourself! You are in this position for a GREAT reason. Find that love that made you want to be a teacher in the first place, and you will be amazed at what's still left in you. It is better to keep trying than to just quit, and give up. YOU ARE BETTER THAN THAT! You can't give up a fight when you are only in the 3rd round. You have to go the full fight, OR you lose! The boxing talk is coming out of me, due to my Dad's love for boxing.:cool:
    PRAY and ask God for guidance. He will never fail to come to your rescue, IF you believe and place your faith in Him.
    He is the Man with the plan!

May you find joy in knowing that there is hope and and God won't let you down like the teaching field has.
    Prayers coming your way.
    God bless!
    Rebel1

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 28, 2013

:hugs:
    I know how tiring yearly job searches can be. It is only May- don't give up hope, yet!

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 28, 2013

:hugs:,runs.

6. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 28, 2013

:hugs:

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 28, 2013

runs, I'm so sorry! Can you at least substitute & do customer service type jobs? If you have both, that would help...for now anyway. What type of positions are you applying to?

I'm having to job hunt again myself...hadn't had to in the last couple yrs. I need something as fast as possible since it's lease renewal time on my apt & I'll need to either renew or give notice of move-out BEFORE knowing if I'll have another job. That's NOT a position I ever thought I'd be in! :mad: My job that's ending is another type of position in the school system (meaning not teaching), but I have the credentials to teach gen ed & special ed if I wanted to. I'm pretty confident that I'll get the position I really want.

Continued prayers are being sent your way! I pray & I know God didn't have me move out just last summer to have me have to move back home a year later. He won't leave me hanging. There's been times when he's worked out things for me before when times were a little hairy, so I have the faith in Him with this too.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 28, 2013

I started tutoring when I left my school in 2009. I almost gave up a few times because it wasn't easy to get students. However, the tutoring itself was so rewarding that I didn't give up. I got some students through Wyzant online and that worked well. Then I found a wonderful local private agency that pays much better than Wyzant and keeps me busier, too. I really don't want to go back into the classroom now.

I wish you all the best as you continue on toward meaningful work. And, I don't think for one minute that the lack of job offers so far means you are a mediocre teacher. It is a crazy job market out there. Hugs.

10. stargirl

stargirl Companion

Apr 28, 2013

It really is a crazy job market nowadays. It took me some time to find my job (where I've been for several years). I remember how disappointing it was to go on so many job interviews only to not get it, but later when I got my job I was very thankful that those other jobs hadn't worked out...for many reasons, my job is the perfect fit for me and so much better than the others in terms of commute, working conditions, school structure, etc. It just didn't open up till the week before school started! So you never know....I did spend a year tutoring/subbing and got a couple of long term subbing jobs that really built up my confidence in my teaching abilities.

11. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Apr 28, 2013

No other good advice, but I am rooting for you.

12. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Apr 28, 2013

I see that you are in Nebraska. Have you tried positions outside the metro areas? You may need to move.

13. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 28, 2013

I have been subbing this year and working retail at the mall this year, and still there have been a few months when I haven't been able to cover my bills. Sweets has been able to help me out, but that is a burden on him. Luckily this year has seen his practice grow quite a bit. But with the wedding in less than six months and thousands of dollars in expenses coming before long, I really needed to know something stable was in place. Subbing will dry up in less than a month, and then summer will be upon us. I need a position that is full time with benefits. Teaching is my love (as it is for just about everyone at this forum) and it is tearing me up that it's looking likely that I will have to change careers.

14. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 28, 2013

I can't move. I moved in with Sweets last summer. We are getting married in October. His boys have their friends and school and roots here. Moving is not an option.

15. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Apr 28, 2013

Is there any way you could take some classes or tests (I know money is probably short) to add some qualifications/certifications to your resume? Is moving an option?

Hope you find something! :hugs:

16. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Apr 28, 2013

Have you tried teachers-teachers.com?

17. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Apr 28, 2013

Have you looked into the virtual teaching jobs that are in your state and nationwide that you can do from home.

I teach from home to kids in Asia...I love it. I found the job on Craigslist after thinking outside the box bec i was also on tjat tredmill feeling of inter iews job fairs etc...

Type virtual academy nebraska but also search for the fields that say open natiomwide /any state..
    Please excuse typos...I am typing on my tiny phone.

:)
    Pm me if you want.

18. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Apr 29, 2013

It seems to be a bad job market everywhere. My DD can't find a job in her career area either. So, tomorrow she starts work back in retail.

19. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 29, 2013

runs, is your fiance a doctor? (You mentioned that his practice is growing.) Well, at least your soon-to-be-husband has a good job to support you. I live alone & hope I can cover my rent/bills for the next 12 mos because I just renewed my lease without knowing if I'll have another job. My current job ends May 23rd. I'll really have to watch my spending. If I only buy gas (for my car) & a few groceries here & there, I'll do pretty well.

20. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 29, 2013

He is a family law attorney with his own firm. His practice is growing, and he is doing OK. He is able to cover his business expenses, house bills, and his boys' needs. However, I need to be able to cover my expenses and debts (credit card, student loans, insurance, etc.) I hadn't thought about teaching online. That sounds worth looking into so long as I don't have to get up at 2:00 AM. Thank you for that idea.

I woke up this morning in a better frame of mind and have decided to take a look at my resume, cover letters, letters of recommendation, etc. Basically anything that could be holding me back. Another position has opened at a school I have subbed at frequently this year, so we'll see what happens. I also have a couple other things in the works unrelated to the education world. For now I'm keeping my fingers (and toes) crossed and plugging on. I'm not ready to give up on teaching yet.

21. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Apr 30, 2013

Good job RWS.

Think "what else haven't I tried ? "

Craiglist.com education...
    Indeed.com
    Private schools
    Virtual teaching jobs
    Etc...

Good luck :)